Reload this Page >

Abbeyglen Castle, Clifden, Galway Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:15 AM
Susan May

Has anyone stayed at this castle and do you have any words of wisdom...both pro and con. Special rooms, would you recommend, etc. Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:18 AM
xxx

IMO Ballynahinch Castle just outside Clifden (12 mins by car) is far superior unless it is really important for you to be staying very close to the centre of Clifden Village.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Erin

I am agree with XXX - Ballynahinch was wonderful - excellant walks to take and the food was wonderful. It was a close drive to Clifden and the rooms were spacious and very nicely decorated. Also, a very good price.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Dan

I was disappointed to learn that Abbeyglen only looked like acastle, but was not a castle at all. Nice location, though.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Patrick

Abbeyglen is OK, but yes, disappointing as Irish "castles" go. It is a place built in the recent century by some guy who wanted a house that looked like a castle so he built it -- mainly out of poured concrete. What it lacks in true "castle" atmosphere, however, it really did make up for with very nice rooms and an absolutely superb dinner with some of the best service we had in Ireland.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Andrea

Were any of the guest rooms in the actual castle or in other guest buildings?

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Patrick

As I recall, all of the rooms were in the main building. It really was never a castle, but I think was built as a hotel to sort of resemble a castle. Or in any case it was all built to continue as one major building. Again, do not expect it to be very "castle" like.