Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Abbatail St Germains-opinions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/abbatail-st-germains-opinions-149417/)

Jackie Jan 28th, 2002 04:48 AM

Abbatail St Germains-opinions?

Very close to booking this hotel in Sept. Quoted 145 euro for a double twin. I picked it because it appears to have good access to transportation and I have limited mobility. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Fred Jan 28th, 2002 04:53 AM

Location very good. With one exception, everyone who has stayed there seems to like it a lot. Here's what they said.<BR>Abbatial St. Germaine (3 star left bank)-<BR>Across the Seine from Notre Dame<BR>a fantastic place, very friendly, peaceful<BR>request a room on the 5th or 6th floor, on the street side. <BR>best room is the 5th floor corner room<BR>I wouldn't recommend it. <BR>rooms are small<BR>The hotel is very clean<BR>desk personel are very nice. <BR>would highly recommend it<BR>rooms are clean and pleasant. <BR>with the renovation it is wonderful<BR>I loved the Hotel Abbatial<BR>very, very quaint<BR>For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Christina Jan 28th, 2002 12:39 PM

That will be fine, probably, although I think some other locations would have superior metro transportation options, if that is of prime concern. I recommended that hotel to someone once as he had special requirements (near a public pool) and he wrote me back to say he liked it a lot. My comments are that it is fairly near the Maubert metro stop, about 2 blocks, and within walking distance of the Seine, of course. That metro line only goes east-west, however, at that stop (no other line goes through there), so you will have to transfer shortly to go anywhere but heart of St-Germain, mostly. There are a couple bus lines that go along that street; one goes to Gares d'Austerlitz and de Lyon and Trocadero , another goes to Champ de Mars and the Bastille. You might find the buses preferable to the metro. there are some locations that might give you better metro options, several lines going opposite directions, that's my only comment. For example, a hotel around the St-Sulpice metro would, as well as one near the Raspail metro stop or La Motte-Piquet or Bastille. But, your choice is closer to the Seine.

jackie Jan 28th, 2002 04:36 PM

Thanks for your help. I think I'm more interested in the buses then the Metro so I think we'll go ahead and book.

Kim Jan 30th, 2002 09:17 AM

I totally recommend staying here. I stayed there 2 years ago, knew nothing about picking a hotel in Paris, did tons of research and booked this on the internet. Reception emailed me right back with everything I needed. We loved the location and although the room wasn't huge, I wouldn't say it was small either. I think what I liked the most was the cute atmosphere and the location...