Reload this Page >

The Strand Palace?

Search

The Strand Palace?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 04:54 PM
Linda

The Strand Palace?

Does anyone have any information on this hotel? My husband and I are going to England for a week and France for a week in September for our 25th wedding anniversary. We have a luke-warm suggestion of the Strand for a convenient stay in London. Any suggestions/recommendations? The price in the packages is $200 per night/double at the Strand. We would prefer the a better recommendation for something that expensive, or a different suggestion in the $150 range.

Old Jul 12th, 1997, 03:10 PM
Joyce

We stayed at the Strand a couple of years ago, and I certainly would not pay $200 to stay there again. I don't think I would stay there for $150. We were lucky to get their largest room (as determined by room layout boards on each floor) and it was just what I would call an average size room. We talked to others staying there who complained about how small their rooms were. Then we saw into one while it was being cleaned, and I couldn't believe it. It looked like they had built the walls around the bed, leaving about a 2' walkway on each side. Granted, it is an excellent location, though very noisy on street side. However, it doesn't matter where you stay location-wise, since you are almost always fairly close to a bus stop or metro. You won't be confining your activities to any one area. I think the area around Russell Square has some reasonably priced hotels. We looked at the Tavistock and it was a little TOO budget for our taste, but there are others owned by the same group and in the same area that are a bit more upscale. This area is right by the British Museum. No matter where you stay, you will be near something you would be going to visit anyway. Unfortunately, I have no recommendation, but I know you can do better for that price. Check with British Air if you are flying them, if you haven't already. Good luck.

Old Jul 12th, 1997, 03:31 PM
Joe

Thank you, thank you, thank you. We are currently considering the Shaftsbury.

Old Jul 12th, 1997, 03:32 PM
Joe

Thank you, thank you, thank you. We are currently considering the Shaftsbury off Piccadilly at L85.

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 05:31 PM
Bob Godwin

I have stayed at the Strand Palace many times and greatly prefere it because of the location. It is within easy walking distance of all the theaters and Leicester Square where you get half price theater tickets.They are part of the Trust House Forte and have an 800 number. I sugest you check out their package "holiday" deals that include full English breakfast and you might want their dinner package that allow you to eat at any of their hotel in London. Their rooms are small, but location is great. The Savoy is across the street.
If you want to visit a "tourist" English resturant, try Simpsons on the Strand which is also across the street. Bob

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 02:28 PM
Wayne

Thanks for the reply Bob, we are already booked at the Shaftesbury. I realize that the Strand wasn't terrible, just looking for the best for the money as always.