I've got some AA Frequent Flyer miles I'm intending to use for a trip to Europe this fall. I'll be doing a multi-city trip from Chicago, flying into London LHR and returning from Madrid. When I ran a round trip flight (over a 20 day period to- from), it was 60,000 miles + about $480 in additional fees. However, when I ran the same dates, a one-way to London = 30,000 + only a $5.36 fee, then separately, a one way return from Madrid= 20,000 + $152 in fees. Doing it one way, each way saves 10,000 miles and over $300. But, of course I'm wary of what AA would do if I first book the one-way to London, then try to book the one-way back from Madrid. Will the extra fees kick in after I have the first one-way flight on record?
Has anyone tried to save miles and $$ using AA miles in this way? Will it work? All informed responses (no speculation please) would be very welcome. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 2 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 3 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 4 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 5 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 6 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 7 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 8 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 9 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 10 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 11 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 12 Easter Week in Italy
- 13 Moscow Hotels
- 14 Rome Hotel
- 15 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 16 Getting around Lisbon
- 17 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 18 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 19 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 20 Trains - website?
- 21 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 22 Paris November 2017
- 23 Spain in 2018
- 24 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 25 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)