Search

A Year in Paris (aka Paradise)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Year in Paris (aka Paradise)

Bonjour à tous,

I am going to be in Paris for a year and I need some random advice. In advance, let me just say that I've studied in Paris already so I am used to the customs and I speak French, and none of this is an issue. However, I have only been to Paris in the warmer weather, so I'm not familiar with the winter clothing. I have been reading a bunch of posts on "what to wear/what not to wear" but I quickly grew tired of this. I am not exactly looking for fashion advice, because part of the fun is figuring out the trends when you get there. Plus, I think it's stupid to buy clothes in the US so that you will look more Parisian; I say it's a better excuse to shop in Paris! I just want to know what I can definitely leave home since I only have a limited amount of space in my suitcases. What's the verdict on rain boots? I have Burberry rainboots that are great when it's cold and rainy or slushy in NYC. Any opinions on this? I really kind of hate uggs, but I have to say that they are really warm and comfortable and I like that I can tuck my skinny jeans in them. They don't seem very Parisian to me, so I'm thinking of leaving these behind, unless someone says that they are in fact wearable. They are warm, I just wish they were more attractive and not so frumpy.

Besides clothes, anything that you can think of that I should not bring--or that I should not leave home without--let me know.

Also, besides packing, any dancers out there, I need advice on dance schools. I mainly dance ballet, but I also want to continue learning other dance forms. Money will be an issue, so it can't be too expensive, BUT I am willing to pay a little extra for quality and reputation. I know of Centre de Danse du Marais and that's pretty much all. This is a little expensive, though. I will be living in the 2ème (in the center), but I am willing to travel. A dance studio close to my appartement is just icing on the cake...

Does anyone have any advice on where to go out? When I was studying in Paris, I did just that--STUDIED. This time, I'm fluent in French, I've graduated, and I think I deserve to go out and have fun. I am 22 years old, and I like dancing. Any places you can suggest that are not touristy, all the better.

Also, making friends in Paris can be REALLY hard, from past experience. Any advice on how to break the ice? This is a tough question, which might be one I have to figure out on my own once I'm there, but I'd figured I'd ask.

Last question, day trips from Paris, besides Fontainebleau, Versailles and Auvers-sur-Oise? I've done those already--although I may repeat!

Anything you'd like to add is certainly appreciated! MERCI!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Oh I'm so jealous-- I love Centre de Danse du Marais! Yes, the single classes are expensive, but the 12-class card averages out to just under 12 euros per class, which is not much worse than here at Steps or BDC.

I've been there many times in late November and once just before Christmas. A light-weight down coat works well. Waterproof winter boots would be more versatile than rubber rain boots. I like La Canadienne boots which are warm and waterproof but not heavy or chunky.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I was there February 2006, it was rainy and cold and wore my uggs and saw alot of French wearing them. We smiled at eachother in passing, knowing we were warm as toast in our feet.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM

For meeting people, try meetup.com and search the groups in Paris. Lots of different interests represented...ex-pats, dance, etc.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM

I was in Paris this past January (2007) and I also saw a lot of women wearing uggs and looking confortable and fashionable. Take them!