A year in Europe with our 3 children

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:49 AM
hannah

A year in Europe with our 3 children

Would love any advice on taking our three children to Europe for a year. Any information on schooling for them, accomodations (could perhaps rent a place in France as a central location?)We would not be working, but would like to do this economically ($%),000-$70,000 total).

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:56 AM
PB

I suggest you first start by checking out the websites for the Embassies of countries you're interested in for information. <BR> In many countries you would need a resident visa and residency card in order to put the children in local schools, not to mention staying in the country for a year. <BR> <BR>PBProvence

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:30 AM
Clare

Hi Hannah, <BR>Regarding Schooling, you might want to get in touch with the US Army as they have bases all over Europe and have infrastructure on Schools etc down pat. Although you may not be directly affiliated with the Army through employment, they may offer US citizens access to their infrastructure whilst overseas.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:00 AM
Linda

US Army schools overseas are run by the Department of Defense, not the Army. They do, in fact, allow others to attend, but only on a space-available basis and only as fees-paying (i.e., tuition) students. You can find them at the DoD Dependent Schools (DoDDS) website: http://www.dodds-e.odedodea.edu/; however, I'm not sure if they will respond to your specific questions or not. <BR> <BR>Your other schools to consider might be those attached to embassies. <BR> <BR>Another thing to consider is, as PB already noted, that you must go on a residence visa. A normal tourist visa will not allow you to stay for an entire year. <BR> <BR>Lastly, make sure you chose a place where your children speak the language or they have a school where classes are taught in English (like DoDDS or embassy schools). Few schools make provisions for children who do not speak the local language and many require it before children can be enrolled.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:35 PM
PB

There are English speaking schools in various parts of France (as well as other countries). International School, the American School of Paris, etc. I hadn't mentioned the English language schools because of their budget. The cost is about what it would cost to put a child in an expensive prep school in the US. (I know - I attended the International School in Geneva and Brusels and our daughter did as well) <BR>French schools are actually quite liberal about allowing foreign students, who do not speak French, to attend.. at least here in the South of France. <BR> <BR>PB

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:58 PM
Jayelle

There's a website that provides information to people who are moving abroad. Its called www.escapeartist.com. You might find the type of information that you're looking for there.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:28 AM
Mika

People are sending your kids to school and they don't know how old they are. What I would do: I would try to swap houe or houses with people from Europe, If I had to send the kids to school, send them to the local one. It will be an experiment in International living and if they loose a year, so what. with $ 70.000 max, your budget is not high for 5 people. You probably want to travel,so you have to have a car too.....

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Mónica

How old are your kids? If they are still VERY young, it could be interesting to take them to non-English speaking schools. That way, they would learn the language quickly and efficiently. In a year, they would be bilinguals.