A word about Amica fares in Italy

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word about Amica fares in Italy

Someone here cluded me into these, and we thought we could take advantage of the savings. I must have missed the fine print when reading all about them though. I did not realize seats sold this way are limited. I assumed the fares applied to any pre-purchase up to midnight of the preceeding day. We went to the train station three days before we wanted to travel and asked for Amica fares. They were all sold out. So, if you absolutely know the time of the train you want to take, buy early enough that you can get the savings from these fares.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM

Amica fares are reduced price fares and therefore are bound to be limited in number, otherwise why would anyone pay a full fare?

Europe must really be another world for you julies - you should plan a lot more in advance if you ever think about coming back over here (when/if the dollar goes up in value, of course) so that you would be more prepared to face all of the problems you had on your recent visit.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Helen is the pro, and knows much more than I, who am only a yearly traveler to Italy. But reading your posts, it does sound as if you need to do more solid and careful preparation for your trips.

After reading some of your other posts here, I also believe that you need much more experience and observation of another country and culture before you can make really interesting jokes about that culture.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM

There's an old saying -

When you assume something you

make an ass of u and me.

When traveling - esp abroad - you can;t assume anything - but need to check it all out. And that obviously includes any rules/regs related to discounts of any type - which are usually surrounded with all sort of rules - in the US just as much as abroad.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Well, I'm certainly not going to research to death every little detail that might affect a discount here or a savings there. Just not willing to spend hours poring over the trenitalia site or museum sites. When someone posts a little tidbit like this - buy early as soon as you know which train you want - I just want to say Thank You.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:07 AM

I don't think a great deal of research is needed to realise that when something is discounted there is a reason why it isn't at the full price.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Helen, bellastarr, &nytraveler--

I certainly don't understand the snide comments from you when I am obviously just trying to help others out. I did say, "I must have missed the fine print when reading all about them though."

Apparently I must not meet your standards of obsessive planning of every little detail a year in advance. No. Eureope is not another world to me, and this was our 14th or 15th trip in the past 10 years. But, Italy was one country we hadn't visited, and this ENTIRE trip was planned and organized in less than three weeks from the decision to purchase tickets until time of departure.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Snide remarks? I hardly think so. I don't know you Julies and can't judge what you write and what is behind all your threads you have started. There is something about your posts that is making me very angry but it is probably best I don't comment any more.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Yeah, Helen, it probably is best if you don't comment any more. Especially if you're just trying to get your email address out there in an attempt to drum up business. (Yes, I know you haven't crossed the advertising line ... yet.)
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:39 AM

I don't have to post here to get my email address out but thanks for your concern. I haven't posted on Fodors for months, if not years, don't have the time! Someone sent me a link to a post that she thought I would be interested in and I noticed all of julies thread and was curious to know what was behind them.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM

You certainly have found time to drive this into the ground. I'm sure no one here has ever made a mistake while traveling. Just let it go.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM

I believe the maximum amount of days in advance that you can purchase Trenitalia fares online is 60 days in advance. So a heads up to anyone wanting to purchase Amica fares to start looking then!