Reload this Page >

A woman traveling alone in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:55 AM
sheila

Hey out there- I am planning a trip this fall alone to Spain... Are there any particularily good places to travel, or on the other hand, and more importantly, any particularily bad places for me to travel. I don't know the language and I have never been to Europe-so questions abound. Are there any good resorts (or resort areas)along costa del sol that someone can recommend for a young single new college graduate interested in the arts, live music, dancing (especially dancing), and cultural experiences?

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 05:24 AM
julie

Wow--bold move. I strongly suggest you check out several books and web sites about women travelling alone. You may find it daunting to be in Europe for the first time and unable to communicate in the language. I spent 8 months travelling half way around the world when I was a new college graduate (1992). I had travelled quite a bit prior to that experience, and I was nearly fluent in French. I had a wonderful experience, but I was damn glad I had had some previous experience abroad. Check out the book, "Women Travel--Adventures, Advice, and Experience" edited by Miranda Davies and Natania Jansz.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Katie

Hi Sheila. <BR>Yes it is a bold move, but I'd still do it. The big touristed cities will be the hardest for you (being a woman travelling alone) in my opinion. Barcelona, for example, has so much to see and when you're walking around in awe (looking like an amazed tourist) you are an easy target for some comments etc. Just ignore them though. <BR> Honestly, I'd stay in hostels where there are a lot of people who are travelling solo and would also like to hook up with other people for a sight-seeing fun filled day. They are also a really cheap option. Dorm rooms (4-6 people are the best) are a good option to meet the most people. <BR>Make sure to see Flamenco dancers, a bullfight, eat paella and drink Sangria! <BR>I would recommend going to the East coast for a bit too. Around Malaga and Torremolinos there are a lot of nice beach areas. Beautiful. <BR>I went to Barcelona, Valencia, Malaga, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, and Madrid. I don't think I'd recommend Valencia, it was ok, but there aren't that many things to do there. Other than that, I enjoyed the places I visited. I went with another girl my age (early 20's) and we had no problems. Although, in Barcelona we were with 4 others and found it really comfortable that way. <BR>I'd bring a small combo. lock for your bags, just in case. And, as with any large city, watch out for pickpockets in Metros and famous sights, etc. <BR>Well, that's all I can think of right now. If you have any more specific questions after some research, that'd help get better and more specific answers. Hope it helps. <BR>Katie

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Barron

Barcelona is the place to go. You could easily spend 3 weeks just in Barcelona. Seville is beautiful. We stayed at a place called Hotel Dona Maria. Right on the plaza next to the Catedral. Wonderful. Don't get caught in the back streets, though, very maze-like. Madrid is basically like New York. Just be careful. DO NOT stay at Hotel Monaco, unless you want to sleep in an old brothel. (I know, sounds cool, but trust me, leave it alone. Except for the mirror on the ceiling and the bas-relief of an orgy in the bathroom, it wasn't our idea of a nights stay. We ended up leaving and going to the Ritz. That's how bad it was. We needed the extreme.) If you want a real treat, go to Ronda and stay at a place called Quinta la Romana. Tel # is (9) 52 87 86 52. Caroline is the owner and she'll treat you great. Tell her Barron and Patty recommended her place. She may remember us. Then, take a balloon ride with Aviacion Del Sol. Talk to Pam Elson. She'll definitely remember us. They have a web site, but there number is (9) 2/287 72 49. Very cool. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Maira

For the fall, I would emphasize towns that may offer the safety that comes with numbers; Madrid, Barcelona, Segovia, Seville, Granada, Malaga, even Salamanca (east of Madrid), a wonderful university town where a woman by herself should be a familiar sight. English is not so widely spoken in Spain, so you should try to get very familiar with some basic phrases in Spanish. Dining restaurants in Spain open after 8:30pm, so you may want to consider lodging near safe restaurant alternatives. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't venture into Tangier (Morocco; a popular day trip from Algeciras or Tarifa). In all major cities inquire about the unsafe areas.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 07:37 PM
julie

As a follow up to my earlier post on this thread, I completely agree that staying at "backpacker hostels" and the like is the way to go. Of the 8 months that I was travelling, I was alone a total of maybe three weeks. I constantly met people who were doing the same thing I was, and I had several interesting and entertaining travel companions. It was also great to be travelling in the off season--October-May--and there weren't swarms of tourists everywhere. I realized that I might have come off sounding negative about your plans in my earlier post--not my intention. I think it's terrific that you're going, and you'll learn so much about so many things and people (including yourself!)Again, check out the book I referred to earlier....it is packed with advice, andecdotes, and inspiration for solo women travellers!