Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week near Pisa or Rome, late Mar-early April - where??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH has relocated me to grey, chilly England and I need a break!

We're looking at Italy for a week, from mid-March to early April (realizing that Easter might be an issue).

From the small airport near home (East Midlands, England), we can get to Pisa or Rome-Ciampino.

What we are looking for:
A small hotel, or private rental for DH, myself and 3yo DD. All we really need is a little village to walk to every morning for coffee, with a few little restaurants, no night life, just a place to relax and recharge the batteries.
I'd rather not rent a car, if we can find some place to settle for the week, we'll just need transport from/to the airport.
Would like to keep the budget under $1000 US/750 GBP (not including flights/transport).

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated. The perfect town, the best private driver, where to look for home rentals, anything. I know it's vague, but if I don't start narrowing things down, DH will book some tourist-hell all-inclusive behind my back! Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Fly to Pisa but stay in Lucca---:30 away by train or bus, and the train line goes to the airport.
Read about Lucca---a most delightful small city and better than Pisa.
Can you fly to Palermo in Sicily---much better weather.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Why these choices? From England there are plenty of discount fares to warm areas. Sicily is a good choice. Spain or Portugal might be good alternatives. The Turkish coast is also a possibility.

http://www.flylc.com/from/en/ap-ema.htm
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi txgirl!

sorry to read that you've not taken to our british weather - stay a bit longer and it might grow on you!

but if it doesn't i agree with both of the above posters - i should widen your horizons a tad.

I don't konw where else besides Pisa and Rome CIA you can sfly to from the East midlands airport, but you certainly get to a lot of places [not those though] from Manchester, using easyjet. and from Ryanair from East midlands you can also get to a lot of places in southern spain, but also Girona, [Ryanair's Barcelona airport] which I think would fit your bill, a bit like Lucca, of a historic town, nice scernery and food, and the option of day trips into Barcelona.

Easyjet also flies to turkey from Manchester.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

See, that's why I love y'all!! Ideas I can run with!

Italy was a starting point because it's what I'm most familiar with - I am open to Spain/Turkey, but it's going to be totally new ground for both of us, so more research, but that's not a deal-breaker, and I've got to avoid the Brits-abroad tourist towns - if I wind up booking us in to some place like that, I will never hear the end of it from DH. Thanks for the ideas, I'll start doing some wider research.

Annhig, sorry, after 16 yrs in Texas and 5 in Bermuda, this weather isn't doing anything for me! I am looking forward to how green everything will be, but even my 3yo keeps telling me it's cold and dark!!
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From EMA, if weather is your main concern, then I would seriously consider the Canaries (Flights to Lanzerote and Tenerife).

I've been to Tuscany in late March/early April and the weather is hit and miss. Sometimes it has been beautiful spring days, at other times bitterly cold, and once, in April, 7 days of continuous rain.

I entirely agree with Bob about Lucca - I really love the city, and thought Lucca as son as I read your title.

Although it is much larger than a village, it has a smallish feel to it. The town is mainly pedestrians only, lots of restaurants, great parks and areas to play (for 3 yo). As mentioned, it is really easy to get to from Pisa airport - one change of train at Pisa Centrale. Also offers an easy trip by train to Florence should you wish.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got to avoid the Brits-abroad tourist towns - >>

lol, i shouldn't worry about that too much in March/april - they'll all be off to tenerife or Marbella. or even Cornwall. they won't be in Lucca, though they might [a few of them] be in turkey.

Annhig, sorry, after 16 yrs in Texas and 5 in Bermuda, this weather isn't doing anything for me!>>

haven't you noticed? it's getting lighter every day, and your 3 year old will soon be getting up AND going to bed in daylight. and by June, so will you. last april we had some lovely warm days, and if you were here in late September 2011, it was positively hot. [the bit in between wasn't much cop though].
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Hi txgirl- not sure if you are still debating locations but I had to laugh when I read your post as I am a Californian working in London and I have been facing the exact same challenge of where to go with our 4 and 2 year old for a higher chance of sun in April! We've been here 3 years and have finally become resigned that the only guarantee of beach weather (80F + in my book) in April is to fly 8-12 hrs south (last year went to Thailand).

This year we decided we don't need beach/swimming but do want a higher probability of sun than we will get at home so after much research of Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Portugal, etc and factors including avg temp/sunshine, length/ease of flights, and quieter family friendly areas, we have settled on Spain and specifically Costa Blanca and the villages of Javea/Denia. This area seems to be quieter than Costa de Sol with less big resorts and big holiday maker charters. At least that is our hope so I thought I would throw it into your mix of possibilities!