Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week near Cannes, France--what is unmissable?

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 04:09 AM
Zoe

I have just been invited to spend a week at a house in the hills 5 miles from Cannes. As I have never visited this part of France before, I'd love to know what are the "must dos/sees" in this area. Should I see Nice/Monaco/Antibes/Villefranche/St Tropez? I'll be flying there and using buses and trains to get about. I love art galleries, interesting buildings & monuments, nature and just wandering about soaking up the culture and atmosphere of a place!

Any advice would be great! Thank you.

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 05:54 AM
Rich

You will not want to miss Nice, Monte Carlo, St. Paul de Vence, Grasse, Aix en Provence and Nimes. All have enough charm, history and art to keep you busy for some time.

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 01:28 PM
Asif

We spent about four days out in Cannes last December. Take time to go to Grasse, which is the french perfumery capital. Don't miss a drive on the riviera from nice down to St. Tropez if you can rent a car, the scenery is just amazing. Visit Monte
Carlo if possible. About 10 miles north of Monte Carlo is the border town of Menton, which is supposed to have the best weather in europe year
round. Also, you could go experience a bit of Italy right across the border from Menton in Ventimiglia. We didn't get a chance to take the short boat trip to the islands right outside of Cannes, but they're supposed to be very nice as well.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 10:04 AM
Heather Loresch

Grasse is wonderful. Also, there are many medieval towns you can explore. One that I visited was called Eze, if I remember correctly. A great guidebook that I can recommend is the Cadogan Guide to the South of France. I'm leaving in the fall for a year long study trip to the south of France and this book is a font of wonderful information on the area.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 07:35 PM
John Yurko

Though a touch touristy, the walled town of St. Paul du Vence is wonderful for an afternoon. Very close by is the Magerth (I spelled it wrong) museum of modern art. It was wonderful. The change in people, surroundings, and, yes, prices, is amazing when you get just a few miles or km away from the coast. We stayed in the hills, and drove down to Canne, Nice, Monte Carlo, etc., for day trips. We would do it this way again. Provence is fabulous!

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 05:00 AM
Paul

Mougins is a nice little place to walk around. Kinda touristy, but kinda artsy too. For walking around, it's hard to beat Villefranche. It's right on the train line from Nice to Monte Carlo.

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 02:36 PM
Michelle

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cannes, Nice, Monte Carlo, and then on to Italy, at the end of July. Could anyone recommend some quaint hotels or B&B's in France? We are planning to take the train from Paris, how do you suggest getting around once on the coast? Help!

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 04:14 AM
Zoe

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I shall certainly visit Grasse--it does sound lovely. Also, Mougins, Monte Carlo and Villefranche are on my list. And Heather, I took your advice and bought the Cadogan Guide--you're right--it's great!

Michelle--as for getting around on the coast--the trains and buses seem to be good and obviously cheaper than taxis. Although you may want to hire a car if you're planning to do a lot of touring. Check that you can take a car over the border though. If you want to arrive in style, a helicopter to Cannes from Nice Airport costs less than a taxi! Details on the Nice Airport website (sorry don't have url, but easily found by doing a Yahoo search)

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 06:21 AM
Lidia

You received many excellent ideas. I have an apartment in Cannes I use when I go to visit my family. There are many excellent things to do you will not run out of them. I love Eze and Monaco but the list is long on things to do. If you have any questions feel free to Email me.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 09:12 AM
Bob Gleason

You've been given some ideas and I'll try to add some others. Our family also has a small apartment near Cannes that we have occasionally rented to people seeking reasonable accomodations and central location for daytrips. You can get some ideas of things to see, as well as view photos and other information that will give you an idea of the many things to see and do at the following www locations:
http://cyberrentals.com/FRA/GleaFRA.html, or
http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-c...?P1+C235+R4599

You can also email me and I can provide some other Riviera-related websites for other ideas.

We also recommend some very nice restaurants, local markets, and provide details about daytrip destinations, and other places of interest. Our place is very close to Golfe Juan and Antibes, and also not too far from Nice, Monaco, St. Paul de Vence, Eze, Gourdon, St. Tropez, etc., for numerous daytrip opportunities. We're also close to Monaco and Italy, and Winter skiing and sports at Andon, Turini, and Peira Cava in the Maritime Alps.

Good luck!

Bob Gleason [email protected]