Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week in Southwest Ireland -what to see? Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 08:17 PM
Janet Breen

This is our first trip to Ireland. We have just 6 days and would like to see a little of Dublin, and then head to the southwest. We need recommendations for reasonably priced B&B's and good pubs, places to eat. Any tips would be appreciated. We'll be there in late October...

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 03:36 AM
Howard

Hello <BR> <BR>I just came back from 2 weeks in Ireland, including the southwest. Assuming you are going some time between now and next May (before the height of next years tourist season), I would not preplan any B and B stays if I were you. There are many, many, b and b's, most of which are more or less the same, so you can just pull into a town and find one on the spot. That way, your itenarary is more open. <BR> <BR>As for pubs, the same is true. Any sizeable town is going to have its fair share of pubs in the center, within walking distance. If you dont like one, go around the corner. If the ere is live music playing, you will be able to find that out once you get there. <BR> <BR>Howard

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 06:40 AM
edie

Howard, your answer intrigues me. we are going to ireland for 9 days in February to attend a wedding. i made reservations for the first 2 nights in Dublin, then for the third nite at the hotel where the wedding is being held. <BR>that leaves us with Sun nite thru Friday nite to travel. i have been debating whether or not to make advance reservations along the way as we travel through the SW and West. <BR>my type A side wants to research the hell out of this, find the most charming, best deal, etc in each town and book them. <BR>my other side wants to research the towns, figure out what i want to see, and just wing it when we get there. See where the road takes us, as it were. <BR> <BR>the two fears i have for the "winging it" version are: <BR>1)we will end up spending over our budget b/c we will be tired and desperate for somewhere to sleep. <BR> <BR>2) b/c of the fact that it is Feb, places might be closed, and that will leave less rooms avail., which could make it harder to find a B&B each day. <BR> <BR>it sounds like i need a therapist more than travel advice, hmmm? <BR> <BR>final question, which books/resources did you have with you that helped you to pick out where to stay, or did you just say "we're going to killarney, and when we get there we'll see what looks good"? <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Debbie

<BR> <BR> <BR>Check out www.irelandexpert.com <BR>Pat T.Preston runs this web site and answers all sorts of questions on her forum page. She will give you specific driving directions, review itineraries and critique hotel choices. She also has an extensive list of links. <BR> <BR>She has been a wonderful source of info for my trip coming up next month. <BR>(I will post my thoughts on my trip to SW Ireland when I get back.) <BR> <BR>Debbie

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 02:50 PM
judy

Hi Janet, Curious about this too...Debbie: checked out that web site, and it was great! Let me know how it was. We go in Aug. I just got my tkts today,,,,can't wait!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 05:52 PM
Linda

We had our first visit to Ireland this summer. We were in Dublin and then went to Killarney,Dingle,Doolin and Galway.I did all our b&b's on-line. In Killarney we stayed at the Applecroft...pure heaven. We had the poets corner room. The place is lovely, the food super and you could walk into town. We had a great meal at the Flesk. Near the b&b was Kate Flaherty's for pub grub and a drink. In Dingle we stayed at The Duinin House, nice conservatory for relaxing and having breakfast...the savory omlete was great.We ate at the Smokehouse and Murphy,s Pub. The Dingle Pub had good music and the exterior is grand looking. You can see many b&b's at www.townandcountry.ie. We paid 40 punts per night which is about $48. The breakfast was huge and we often just had chowder or snacks for lunch and then enjoyed a nice dinner. The food was good everywhere we went. Enjoy your trip.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Cathy

Hi folks, <BR>Just one word of warning re not booking B&Bs in advance due to the fact that it is off season, there are several holiday weekends throughout the off season and Irish people also like to travel out of cities to the countryside and some of the main cities are very popular eg Galway and Cork and Kilkenny. Second many cities have festival and events which attract a lot of people and result in a shortage of accommodation at B&B level. Many commercial travellers stay in B&Bs too. Post if I can help you further, <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR> <BR>Other good web sites include - www.ireland.travel.ie - the official Tourist Board web site, www.hidden-ireland.com (or .ie perhaps)

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Pat

Janet, We were in that part of Ireland in May. We went to Dublin, Kinsale, Kenmare Dingle and Ennis. We stayed at wonderful b&bs - The Old Presbytery in Kinsale, The Shelburne Lodge in Kenmare and the Captain's House in Dingle. Also, we had wonderful meals - Packies and An Leath Phinguin in Kenmare, Crackpots in Kinsale, Mystic Celt and Beginish in Dingle. I would be happy to send you any info - websites, etc. <BR> <BR>Pat <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Bill

White Heather Farm just outside the lovely town of Kenmare (it's an actual small farm, with the most charming landlady). <BR>Slea Head Farm, Ventry (a lttle ways outside Dingle). <BR>Kilbrittain Castle, Kilbrittain, Cork. A small castle built in 1035 (yes, that's not a typo; the 11th century) turned into a B&B. Not too far outside Kinsale (which is a must-see town).

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 04:46 PM
joe

Try a cottage rental - Beaufort House has wonderful house rentals 2-4 bedrooms and very inexpensive - will need a car rental though - its in the internet - look it up in search.com - Beaufort House - self catering cottages - near Killarney - great locale. <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 05:02 AM
Steve

Make reservations in Dublin. Otherwise, you'll be fine winging it.

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 07:29 PM
edie

Cathy, Howard, everyone, i am back with another question.... <BR> <BR>If we leave the City West hotel in Saggart, Ireland in mid afternoon, will we be able to make it to Youghal before night? we can stop on the way for dinner, or eat when we get there. <BR>i figure if we get to youghal sunday nite, we can spend monday there. <BR> <BR>we prefer to see less cities, spending more time in fewer places, as opposed to the "if its tuesday it must be belgium" mode of travelling. <BR>BUT <BR>I can't seem to decide between focusing our trip on the SW or the West. I really really want to see Dingle, the Burren, Galway. with our flights into and out of dublin, i don't know if we'll have enough time to fully see and experience all that we'd like in both places. <BR>HELP? <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Cathy

Edie, <BR>I would leave Saggartby 1.00pm-ish ie have brunch with the stragglers from the wedding and then get out on to the road. It will really depend on the weather but I would advise getting started earlier than mid-afternoon. That should give you a good head start and you should arrive in Yougal by tea-time, allowing for leisurey driving etc. If you want to SPEND for a nice evening meal then try Ballymaloe House and restaurant (great food). They have their own web site too. Next day try Dingle and the Kerry area, (stay 1 or 2 nites) then up to Doolin see the Burren and Bunratty, the Cliffs and the Arran Islands (go over from Clare). Perhaps then Galway and finally through the midlands (via Newgrange passage graves - do see them if you can) and then into Dublin for one last night prior to departure. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>CAthy

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 05:08 PM
virgina

cathy, i was wondering why you recommend the Aran Islands from Clare?

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:16 PM
Cat

There was a comment about whether it is okay to 'wing it'. The weekend we were there was Bank Holiday weekend. We were sitting in the lobby area at the guesthouse we were staying at in Killarney one rainey night. About six people came in looking for somewhere to stay. So I would make sure that there is no holiday planned for the week I was going and also if you are going in the winter - that the B&B's in the area that you are going to be are open. The place we stayed - closes at the end of this week so it pays to check. <BR>