Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   a week in seville??????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-week-in-seville-563270/)

trixitoo Oct 8th, 2005 11:53 AM

a week in seville???????

i want to spend a week or more in seville.has anyone done this?what are good day trips?and has anyone been to the flea market there?

Viajero2 Oct 8th, 2005 12:20 PM

I spend about four days in Seville, which happens to be a good home base if you are set in exploring Andalucia, but want to rely on public transport. Day trips from Andalucia include Cordova for great Moorish architecture, Merida and Italica for Roman ruins, Ronda and Carmona for beautiful towns and scenery, and even Doñana Natural Park for nature walks. I've done these places on different trips because Seville does have plenty to see and do as well. Have a great trip

trixitoo Oct 8th, 2005 04:40 PM

thanks v. thinking of hiring a car in sevilla for daytrips aS there are 4 of us.is that better than public transport?what area is nice to stay in? barrio santa cruz sounds a little too touristy for my liking.do you know what the weather is like in november?

Robert2533 Oct 8th, 2005 04:57 PM

You should check out Maribel's Guide to Sevilla (http://maribelsguides.com/) and the Explore Seville web site (http://www.exploreseville.com/) to see what's happening in the city and to plan some day trips.

Carta_Pisana Oct 8th, 2005 06:32 PM

I stayed in Seville and Jerez for Easter '05 (Jerez is about an hour away from Seville) From Seville I visited Cordoba for the day (would have liked to have stayed there a couple days) I got around just fine without a car.

Viajero2 Oct 9th, 2005 04:15 AM

I've been to Seville a couple of times in November and the weather was very pleasant, upper 60's, one mid-afternoon went up into the lower 70's. The whole town will smell like oranges as they will be in season, ahhh!! sweet memories!! :-D

Wholeheartedly second the recommendation on seeking out Maribel's Guides; excellent source of info. The Barrio de Santa Cruz is divine; Nov will be much less crowded, so walking around, specially at night is very nice. Excellent restaurants; the food at Restaurant Hosteria del Laurel (Plaza de los Venerables) was very good. I recommend looking for an apartment if you are set in spending a week and there are 4 of you. Check vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owners). A number of Seville-bound posters have stayed in apartments and have posted their experience; do a search in this forum for more info.

As far as transport, if you are staying centrally, draft an itinerary for day trips and research the public transport from the internet. If not staying centrally, do consider a car, if anything because daytrips for 4 people very well justifies renting a car. There are HERTZ and AVIS outlets on Estacion Santa Justa, the main bus station in Seville.

As far as flea markets, I am not sure Nov is the time when those fluorish; it is a good question and will look further into it. If I find anything, I'll post back.

Have a pleasant time in Spain. It remains one of my favorite places in the world!! :-*

isabel Oct 9th, 2005 04:59 AM

Thanks for starting this thread - I have the exact same question, is a week in Seville a good idea (versus a few nights each in several different areas)? The places I think I'd like to see are Cordoba, Ronda and Granada (plus of course Seville itself). I know Cordoba is easy to do by train but I think you need buses for Ronda and Granada. How easy is it to take buses in that area? By easy I mean are the schedules such that you can manage a day trip (which means early and late buses as oppossed to one or two in the middle of the day).

Also, has anyone been to Seville in August? Yes I KNOW it will be hot, but is it significantly worse than say Sicily or other areas of Italy? If your choices were to go to Seville in August or not go at all for several years, would you go?

Robert2533 Oct 9th, 2005 08:05 AM

isabel,
When we travel we prefer to stay in one location for several days and that would include staying in Sevilla for up to a week, taking a few day trips during that time.

There is no train service to Ronda, so you will have to take the bus. This makes for a good day trip out of Sevilla.

There is train service to Granada (3 hours one-way), but I would not consider it a good day trip. You may want to consider staying in Granada for two nights to enjoy the city before moving on.

And yes, it is very warm in Sevilla during the month of August, but not much different than Sicily during the day, except that Sicily is an Island and will cool off at night while Sevilla in inland, where you can expect the nighttime temperatures to stay around 40 degrees Celsius. As long as your hotel is air-conditioned, there shouldn’t be any problems enjoying your stay. Just remember to walk in the shadows during the day.

artlover Oct 9th, 2005 01:18 PM

Agree that Cordoba is a good day trip and also suggest you go to at least one flamenco show--we loved the show at Los Gallos.

CarlosSandoval Oct 9th, 2005 02:48 PM

We just came back from Portugal/Spain. We stayed 4 nights in Sevilla, and we did a day trip to Cadiz, Jerez *which I would've skipped and instead go to Cordoba. In Sevilla, we went to bullfight, flamenco show, azulejo shopping, shopping, shopping, sightseeing, did I say shopping.....and we did more shopping

trixitoo Oct 11th, 2005 04:10 PM

hey carlossandoval w
hat sort of shopping is there in sevilla and where are good (NOT TOURISTY) places to shop??i want to stay central but barrio santa cruz sounds too touristy ,i prefer to stay somewhere closer to supermarket,markets etc because i like to make my own meals.any idea wheres good to stay?also does anyone know where to buy agood flamanco guitar?(husband thinks he needs ANOTHER good flamenco guitar if we are going to spain!!!! seville is starting to sound so good i'm thinking of staying longer

mkolet Oct 14th, 2005 04:27 PM

I was in Sevilla for a week February 2004. We loved the city. We did an overnight trip to Ronda. Loved it. Took an early direct bus. It only took us 1 hr 1/2. If you decide to do Ronda try Hotel San Gabriel beautiful. I Can't wait to go back plus the people in Ronda are very very friendly.