Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A week in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-week-in-london-124491/)

Bake May 16th, 2001 09:56 PM

A week in London

My wife and I will be spending a weeek in London in July. The following is a list of sights we would like to see and would like to know if it is feasible to do it in the time and some sort of itinerary. <BR>Buckingham Palace (Changing of the Guard) <BR>Royal Mews <BR>St Pauls Cathedral <BR>Westminster Abbey <BR>Jewel Tower <BR>Banqueting House <BR>Hampton Court Palace <BR>Kensington Palace <BR>Tower of London <BR>London Dungeon <BR>Kew Gardens <BR>Florence Nightingale Museum <BR>Institute of Contemporary Arts <BR> <BR>Any help would be appreciated. <BR>

Lucy May 16th, 2001 11:01 PM

Hi Bake, for starters I would suggest that unless you are taking children with you to give London Dungeon the wide berth - from what I've heard its a really tacky tourist trap. I believe Kew Gardens is close to Hampton Court (which I loved) so I would definitely do those on the same day (& it will probably take a full day). As for the jewels I assume you mean the ones at the Tower of London in which case obviously do those together too while Royal Mews is at Buckingham plaace so combine that with the changing of the guard. All up Bake I don't thing your list seems too demanding for a full week - cheers...

Robbie May 17th, 2001 04:29 AM

Dear Bake <BR> <BR>Get yourself a good map of London. I bought a Hallwag map of London before I went and it shows all the sites to see and where they are located. If you stand in the middle of Trafalgar Square near Nelson's Columns you can turn in practically every direction and there is something to see and do. National Gallery of Art, St. Martin's in the Fields Church ( They have music in the afternoon sometimes and it was very good), turn to the other side of the street and you are near the Admiralty Arch just walk under it and your on the Mall that leads you past St. James Palace, Clarence House, past St. James Park to Buckingham Palace. Turn in the other direction from Nelson's Column and you are facing White Hall which will lead you straight to the Houses of Parliment, Banqueting House, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Cross Westminster Bridge right by Houses of Parliment and turn to your right to get to St. Thomas Hospital and the Nightingale Museum. If you go to Tower of London, walk over to Tower Bridge its right near the Tower of London. If you like to walk these are all within walking distance of each other with Trafalgar Square as your starting point St. James Palace, Clarence House, Buckingham Palace, Royal Mews, National Gallery, St. Martins, Houses of Parliment,Banqueting House, Westminster Abbey (which is right across the street from the Houses of Parliment), Big Ben, Nightingale Museum. <BR>If you go to the Tower of London then to Tower Bridge right next to Tower of London you can see H.M.S. Belfast a battle ship from the bridge. The London Dungeon Museum is within walking distance from here. The bus system is very easy to use and so is the tube. Check the times on the Florence Nightingale Museum we went there and it was already closed. You can get to the Tower of London by bus as well as St. Pauls and Kensington Palace. You can see everything you have mentioned in a week. You will need to take a bus or train to Hampton Court Palace. Bus 111,131,216,726,or Green Line Coach: 415, 718 or train from London Waterloo Station to Hampton Court Palace. If this transportation information has changed who ever else sees this post can update it for you. Hope this helps. Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Peace, Robbie

linda May 17th, 2001 05:22 AM

Bake, Banqueting House is a quick stop(relatively). It is lovely and has important historical points, but is unlikely to take long. Do not feel compelled to listen to the complete introductory film. It is endless--we needed the rest. If you have the time while in the area, consider the Cabinet War Room. Very interesting and close by. It was enjoyed by three different generations in my family. I agree, skip the dungeon. The climb to the top of St. Paul's is exciting and wonderful. If your legs can take it, be sure to do it. You have a great itinerary. <BR> <BR>linda

Linda May 17th, 2001 11:13 AM

Ditto for the London Dungeon. It is not really a dungeon, more like a horror wax museum. For kids it would be great. And maybe you would even like it, if that's your "thing". But, if the Changing of the Guard and Tower of London seem exciting to you, you probably want to skip the LD. Not worth the time--which I'm sure you'll be able to fill in some other pursuit.

ALW May 17th, 2001 11:15 AM

If you find you have extra time or change your mind about what you wish to see, the British Museum never fails to amaze me :-) (-:

Henry May 17th, 2001 12:13 PM

I would spend 1 day on a side trip to see Bath &/or Stonehenge.Cambridge would also be a good choice.Enjoy. <BR> <BR>P.S.: Don't miss the British Museum.

mary lewis May 17th, 2001 12:45 PM

I think you could do what you have laid out in a week. One person above mentions going to the Tower Bridge - even though it is conveniently next to the Tower of London - I would not go - we found it to be a waste of time. You can not go at your own pace and what they have there to show you is not worth the time it takes. - Just my opinion. We also really enjoyed the Cabinet War Rooms - right around the corner from Westminster Abbey - which is also beautiful at night (open Wednesday nights maybe?)

Carrie May 18th, 2001 03:00 AM

I am surprised the Institute of Comtemporary Arts is in your itinerary. I.C.A (as known to us locals)has no permanent art collections but only some small and avant garde temporay exhibitions. The cafe/ restaurant offers good value food, and the bar is quite a cool place to hang out in the evening. For modern arts, Tate Modern in MHO,is a better place.