Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > A week in Ireland - North Western Proponents?
Notices

A week in Ireland - North Western Proponents?

Oct 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

A week in Ireland - North Western Proponents?

Just like everyone, Ireland is just too big to plan an exhaustive itinerary; one has to choose, usually between North and South. Overwhelmingly, the South seems to win out.

It just goes to figure I'm contrary; I'm looking northwards.

With seven days "In Country" in May, I've been considering coming in through Shannon, do the cliff and the burren on the way to Galway, and then zapping up to Letterkenny to hit the Donegal stuff; Slieve League, Glengesh Pass, Glenveigh, Grianan Aileach, Atlantic Drive, Mamore Gap, Malin Head; and then over to Giant's Causeway.

Lots of Cliffs, Water and sheep.

Question 1: How is the choice of Letterkenny as a base?

Question 2: What would be a reasonable span of time up there to cover this stuff?

Buying clues by the dozen out here, folks. Whatcha think?
Oct 18th, 2012, 02:17 AM

Seven days for the northern arc Shannon to Dublin is fine, tight but fine in the sense of a road trip.

Shannon to Galway could be a first step taking in the Cliffs at least on your first day. If you are arriving the end of May the Fledh Nua is on in Ennis so you might want to take that in as an opener and stay in Ennis but still do the Cliffs. Ennis-Galway is an hour direct so makes no difference.

Day two aim for Clifden over the N59 taking in some of the Connemara. http://ireland.activeboard.com/t5005...-galway-route/

Day three Kylemore Abbey and the coast road from Leenane to Westport ending the day by Achill Island.

Day 4 Achill Island and via Sligo to the Slieve League ending in Donegal or Letterkenny.

Day 5 Into Derry and Antrim with a night around Bushmills

Day 6 Down to Belfast maybe end up dropping the car at Dublin Airport and bus into the City.

Day 7 Dublin Hopper Bus,, Killmainham Gaol, Guinness Storehouse Dublin Castle etc.

As I say Tight?
Oct 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM

I'm a big fan of the north and northwest, now that I've finally explored it myself! It took until my fourth trip to the Emerald Isle, but it is definitely worth it. Look up my last trip report (May 2011) if you want details.

As Tony says, it is a tight schedule, but he gives good recommendations. My only change would be perhaps setting still for 2 night stays - 1 on the way up from Shannon (Ennis works, though I'd prefer Ballyvaughan), 2 in Westport, 2 in Donegal or perhaps Ardara or Gweedore, 1 up in the northeast (I loved Cushendall), last night near Dublin.

I prefer the smaller towns (Westport and smaller). I found Letterkenny to be a bit too modern/bustly for my tastes. Definitely don't miss the Cliffs of Moher, Achill Island (Keem Bay), or Slieve League if you love cliffs - I do!

Glencolmcille has a lovely folk park with restored thatched cottages set up for different time periods.

Griannan Ailleach is stunning, and the Inishowen Peninsula is a lovely drive, as well.
Aug 12th, 2013, 08:58 PM

Bob_B, how did this trip go? I'm in the middle of planning my own trip for next month and I'm finding the same thing, it's just way too big. I mean sure it's small compared to the States but there's more than enough to keep busy.

I had originally thought I was only going as far as Clifden but now I think I will be going further North. Convince me I'm right to keep on going and that I'll regret missing out on the beauty that the Northwest has to offer!

Search this Thread