Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > A Week In Europe - What to Do, Where to Go?

A Week In Europe - What to Do, Where to Go?

Sep 28th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Scott

A Week In Europe - What to Do, Where to Go?

I'm going to London for a friend's wedding in November. I'll have the whole next week to travel (which happens to be the week of Thanksgiving). I'm lucky in that I'm only 25 and have been to England, Scotland, Ireland, Amsterdam, Spain, Sweden and Finland. I wouldn't mind going back to any of those, but would like to try something new (and fairly inexpensively). Why I can appreciate a museum, I'm looking for the total experience, i.e. scenic sights and good nightlife. Any recommendations?

Sep 28th, 2000, 08:56 AM
MED

Why not Paris? Can't beat the museums, scenic sights and nightlife.

Sep 28th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Jeff

I would second MED's suggestion, due to Paris' proximity to London via the Eurostar. Having said that, consider Germany, too. If you are from the US, I believe the exchange rate has been very good this year for travel in Germany.

Sep 28th, 2000, 12:12 PM
lisa

Either France or Italy, since you haven't been to either. Italy probably marginally less expensive than France. Personally I would try to fly from London to Italy on one of those discount airlines. It is true that France is closer to London but at the time you're going, Italy should be warmer than France. With only a week, I would probably choose Rome and one other nearby place. Alternatively, if you want someplace warmer and less expensive than Rome, maybe Sicily (which is on my own wish list -- haven't been there yet though).

My only other thoughts would be Greece or Portugal.

Sep 28th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Gina

I'd echo the recommendation for Paris, or perhaps Venice and northern Italy. I don't know that I'd do Greece in November--I can't imagine spending an entire week in Athens, and this wouldn't be the time of year to do the islands. Plus, it's not exactly a hop, skip and a jump from London to Athens--it's over a three-hour flight. It'd be like coming to the U.S. and saying "I have a week after a stay in New York, guess I'll fly to Chicago." Not that you *couldn't*...just that it's not necessarily the most convenient way to go.

Actually, now that I see that Scott is also looking for "good nightlife" I might rescind my Venice recommendation. Venice is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but I can't exactly say that it has much in the way of nightlife. Paris, I'd say.

Sep 28th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Chris

"When a man (woman) is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford"
Samuel Johnson in Boswell's 'Life' vol 3 page 230 - 20 Sept 1777,

Sep 29th, 2000, 04:14 AM
brouhaha

I third (fourth?) Paris.

As for the quote- just cos a dead guy said it doesn't mean it's right

Sep 29th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Monica Richards

While Venice might not have much of a nightlife in the traditional sense (i.e. danceclubs) they do have more Osterias (wine bars) in a walkable area than any place else we found in Italy. Rick Steve's outlines an Osteria tour in his book, and once we got the basics down we set out on our own looking for more. I think we hit 13 in one evening! Now that was fun (although the next morning was a bit rough....)

Oct 1st, 2000, 06:55 AM
Frank

Definately ROME!!

Oct 1st, 2000, 07:51 AM
judy

Hi Scott,,Paris is my all time favorite city, highly recommend it, even in colder weather....have a good time wherever you go.....

Oct 1st, 2000, 10:39 AM
Rose

Good God, Scott..It looks like your travels ahve left the two best destinations to last! I'm not sure how you accomplished that, but France and Italy are two huge jewels in the crown of Europe! The above posters have covered most points, so I'll cover costs. I don't know what the airfare to Rome is form London, but Rome is relatively inexpensive when compared to Paris.

In other words, Rome is a bargain by European travel cost standards - similar to travelling in US. Rome has the nightlife, and scenic sights you're looking for. In a week you could take some day trips and see perhaps Pompeii. Hope this helps,

Search this Thread