Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A Week in Dubrovnik (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-week-in-dubrovnik-753033/)

janelp Dec 12th, 2007 09:15 PM

A Week in Dubrovnik

We will be in Croatia for only 14 days in late July. Planning such a short trip is proving difficult. This is compounded by the fact that many places in Dubrovnik only rent for a week at that time of year.

Question: Are there enough valuable day trips out of Dubrovnik to justify spending 7 out of 14 days there?

I know that with more than 14 days total, 7 in Dubrovnik would be good but we don't have more --unfortunately. Thanks for your help and knowledge.

rickandpat Dec 13th, 2007 04:19 AM

We were there recently, and had no trouble getting an apartment for two nights (though not in July). Certainly there are many daytrips - we are very active people and enjoyed a trip to Mjet - so a week would work, but I would keep digging for a rental that was for the number of nights you really want.

yorkshire Dec 13th, 2007 07:48 AM

Most people try to do too much, and while I heartily agree less moving around is generally better, the transportation system in Croatia is great, so I definitely recommend staying somewhere other than Dubrovnik as well.
Also, I'd kill for 14 days--in fact, on my first trip to Croatia, I travelled from Dubrovnik to Zagreb.
Dubrovnik is as gorgeous as you've heard, but it is tiny and gets very crowded in July. There are many places nearby to visit, especially if you will rent a car, but I highly recommend selecting an island (or visiting somewhere in Bosnia or Montenegro) to stay for the rest of your trip. I suggest 5 days in Dubrovnik. My suggestions would be Kotor, Montenegro, or one of the southern Dalmatian islands: Korcula is a favorite.
If you are renting a car, you can visit Montenegro that way, and then when you move north into Croatia, stay on an island.

danon Dec 13th, 2007 08:04 AM

the coast will be jammed that time of the year;
that makes it harder to travel by car or the public transit.
If you are going for 2 weeks - find a place with a nice beach (to stay for a while) or you might find 2 weeks very long when traveling around in the summer heath.

As PP said, all places in Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro are small and easily seen in the short time.

travel2live2 Dec 13th, 2007 09:29 AM

There is also a lovely arboretum near Dubrovnik that makes a nice half day. I personally would spend about 4-5 nights in Dubrovnik but include Mljet - just heavenly.

On our last trip we most enjoyed Istria, Plitvice Lakes, Trogir and Dubrovnik.

You are so lucky to be going there. It is even better than you can possibly imagine!

janelp Dec 13th, 2007 09:34 PM

This is all good and helpful. We are flying into Zagreb and out of Dubrovnik (from and to Italy.) So, we think we will stay two nights in Zagreb (don't get in until 8:30 pm the first night.) Then to the National Park and down to Split/Trogir and into Dubrovnik. Sound doable?

If we rent the Villa Adriatic for 7 days we may not stay there all 7. Perhaps to Kotor for a couple of nights and then back.

We had thought of Hvar but probably will need to save till the next trip.

How does all this sound as a rather sketchy itinerary?

bilboburgler Dec 14th, 2007 03:59 AM

If you google the map of this area you will generally see that the land is pretty twisted. The effect is make small road journies take a lkong time. The main coastal road is not bad but will be packed and therefore slow. The overal effect is frustrating and dangerous.

I think Dubrovnik is a place to be rather than a place to travel from. I would recommend the islands to chill out on and the capital of Montenegro to visit for a day but this is not a high density "must dos" trip

danon Dec 14th, 2007 06:30 AM

There is no reason why you cannot make day trips from Dubrovnik ( and even stay in another place overnight).
Looks like a good plan.

Travel3D Dec 14th, 2007 09:46 AM

We traveled to Croatia last aug/sept. we also had 14 days, and divided our time between

Split - 3 nights - with trips to Trogir (1/2 hour and Plitvice (3 hours)

Hvar - 3 nights - it's only an hour from Split by ferry

Dubrovnik for the rest of the trip with a day trip to Montenegro by car. Didn't take any other day trips, so I can't help you there.

I can spend 10 days laying on the beach, so for me it wasn't too much time in Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik itself is tiny, you can explore it all in 2 very leisurely days.

I wouldn't miss Hvar. It was probably my favorite of the places we visited. If you can fit it in, I don't think you'll regret it.

julia_t Dec 14th, 2007 10:34 AM

Try to get to Mostar - it's amazing.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35086450

yorkshire Dec 14th, 2007 11:59 AM

A caveat about Hvar: I visited in May a few years ago and found it absolutely lovely, but in July-August it is a different animal (crowds and partying--in Hvar town anyway). Just something to consider. Korcula and/or the Peljesac peninsula would be my recommendations, or possible even the very quiet and less visited island of Lastovo (which is inundated with Italian vacationers in August but may be perfect in July). It all depends on if you want nature or museums, etc.
Narrowing down from the many attractions along the coast is a challenge.

janelp Dec 15th, 2007 07:54 PM

Thanks to all! Now decisions! I really would prefer to just go and find places where and when we can but am concerned that July is not the time to do this. Right?

Holly_uncasdewar Dec 16th, 2007 05:22 AM

That's right, Jane. I was in Dubrovnik during the last week of July in 1984, and the entire area was absolutely mobbed. And this was before the American travelers "discovered" it. Not the time to wing it.

danon Dec 16th, 2007 07:06 AM

except for the war years, and right after, most places on the Dalmatian coast have been very crowded in the summer months. Check when Dubrovnik Festival is - that used to be the time of total madness (before the war).