A week in Austria, and a week in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi We are planning a family trip to Austria next year. We plan to spend a week in Austria (mother in law is from there and she will be with us) and a week somewhere else in Europe. But where?
I may possibly go to Paris with husband for a business trip between now and then, so I am not going to pick France for our family trip.
While I know that Germany, Switzerland and Italy would be easy choices, a big part of me has always wanted to go to Spain.
So, where would you go for week 2 and why?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to go to Spain, go to Spain! There are cheap flights to Barcelona from Bratislava on Sky Europe. Bratislava is easily reached from Vienna.
Where in Austria will you be?
Also, where I would go is irrelevant...I'd want to stay in Austria. But it's what you and your family want that counts. If they also want to go to Spain, then that's where you should go.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I did not even know about skyeurope. I have heard of several european airlines, but not this one. I still have time to think because it will be summer 08. Trying to get tickets to european cup through relatives. Waiting to hear on that.
We were thinking a week in Austria and then a week in a totally different place. I have one taking german in school and one taking spanish. So, that was another thought. I have never been to Italy or Germany (easy do's from Austria). Also, I have never heard of Bratislavia until your post. So, I definitely need to do my research!
We plan to travel around Austria (Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck and where the relatives are in Burgenland, maybe even day trip to Budapest)
Thanks for your reply. I guess I am looking for people to say..you must see this country because....and sell me on it!
Thanks again.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Any more ideas?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Well, I love Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Have been to Italy and France and I'm not as crazy about either as many of the people on this board, but that's just me. I haven't yet been to Spain, but it's on my list.

One thing to keep in mind about Spain and Italy is the time of year of your visit. It can get pretty hot. I would check out average temperatures for places you might be considering.

Anyway, if you want my recommendation it would be Switzerland. I don't know that I've ever been anywhere more beautiful. It's a very clean country with pretty much everything you could want in the way of scenery.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Switzerland - spectacular
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM

There is a great site for researching city to city airfares within Europe. It is www.whichbudget.com - it lists various carriers that fly between the various cities.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great website on the airlines!!
I have a lot to think about and see if I can orchestrate a trip that will be doable as well as affordable.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Hello girlonthego,
and why not Greece? Same climate as Spain and temperament, very different from Austria, lots of archaeological sites and a unique chance to enjoy the greek archipelagos(so many beautiful islands!). Think about it!Enjoy your holiday!

for info on greece check the official
tourist site of the country:
www.gnto.gr
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM

I even found some great photos in the site's album! Enjoy all!

http://www.gnto.gr/listing.php?pageI...=3&pages=1

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, girl,

My immediate thought was Venice - I think that your MiL would like the travelling around by boats. you could get there by train - between 8 & 10 hours door to door - might be easier than flying.

if you like the boating idea, the swiss or austrian lakes could be nice - the salzkammergut near Salzburg for example.

I also looked at whichbudget - lots of flights to spain, but not sure how relaxing MiL and therefore you would find it.

I'm envious of your trip to Vienna - a plce I've always wanted to go, but until you can fly there from Bristol i suspect I'll have to wait.

regards, ann
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

My mother in law went to Venice about two years ago. She is happy to go just about anywhere. She is adventurous (maybe even more than I am!) She will sleep anywhere and is easy going.
My first thought was go all over Austria and then spend 6-7 nights in one city in an apartment. That is why I was considering Barcelona, plus Spain is a place I have always wanted to go. I don't want to run like crazy from town to town. I would rather enjoy one area.
Greece? My husband talks about going to the greek islands one day as well! Who knows that may be an option too.
I think that Switzerland with the lake region and possibly dip into Italy would be a very doable trip, but not at all relaxing. We would definitely be moving from place to place. Venice would be cool and is also close.

Enough rambling. If you loved a country near Austria, then sell me on it. I am happy to take notes.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Depends on what you're looking for -- for relaxation I'd choose the lakes in northern Italy or try the Dolomites or Lake Lucerne in Switzerland; for culture and buzz I'd go to Venice or Vienna.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 11:56 PM

I think no matter what we tell you,
you will still pick barcelona because that is what was initially in your mind and obviously what you want! Since you want it, don't hesitate about it! Am sure you will have a great time in the south!
Enjoy your holiday!