Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week in Aix - how to spend (where to stay)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone

Still perusing some options for a contemplated trip. Friends of mine love Aix to bits and so I thought I'd give it a full week - with day trips.

Is that too long? I doubt I will have a car but it will depend on what I ferret out to do.

Current day trip thoughts include Avignon (I've been through several times but just to pick up the TGV or a car), Cassis (les Calanques), Marseille, the Camargue (which may require a car, I suspect - and would this be better as an overnight or two before Aix?

I will have a day or two before I arrive in Aix which will be closer to Carcassone and I will have a car for that brief portion. I could extend the car and time for the Camargue.

Thank you for any thoughts.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Depends on when. Can you enlighten?

Local tourist offices do multi-lingual minibus trips to most of the famous vacations, but these end in November.

On public transportation, I have taken an easy trip via local bus to Arles, returning via Les Baux and an easy trip to Marseille by train.

Where should you stay? MFK Fisher stayed on the rue Cardinale, and so did I. There are several choices.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi

This would be September.

I may or may not go to Arles/St. Remy, Les Baux etc. I've been to each three times now and as lovely as they are, a day in Avignon is something I have not done yet at all. I haven't seen that stretch of the coast (anything west of Cannes, that is) so I'm more likely to stick to new places rather than old favorites.

Right now I'm thinking Hotel Aquabella which got favorable reviews and is in a nice location. But I'd be up for other suggestions.

Thank you Ackislander.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

ps. I have 8 days for France. Flying home from Marseille. I don't have to use Aix as a base the whole time.

I already think something like Narbonne for a night or two would be good for the Cathar Castles, etc. That leaves 6 or 7 nights elsewhere before I fly home. I just figured it may be nice to only unpack once - and if my destinations are fairly close, continuity in one place is nice. I will get to know it much better even if I'm only spending mornings and evenings each day there and am out and about all day.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 11:04 AM

I think you'll want to keep your car for Cassis....you may want to drive out to the calanques for some hiking.

Perhaps you can see which sites would be better done with a car from Aix, do those first and then return the car.