Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week based in Figeac - anyone care to help me tweak my itinerary?

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Group of 12 older adults traveling together. We have rented a house just outside Figeac (La Grange Liffernet - used to be a B&B). We will be in Paris for a couple of nights at the beginning.

This is what I have so far. Can I add some stuff? Should I take anything out? All suggestions welcome.

Sat. May 23 – taxis to Gare d’Austerlitz, train to Brive (10:25-14:16, 17&euro, pick up cars, drive to Figeac (1.5 hrs). Buy sandwiches at station for lunch on the train. Arrive at house around 5:00, shop for groceries, settle in and relax. Dinner in Capdenac at Le Relais de la Tour (Anyone been there?)

Sun. May 24 – Drive to Conques,see cathedral & treasury, then follow the Lot River to Entraygues-sur-Truyère, Gorges du Lot (picnic?) to Estaing, Espalion, St Côme d’Olt, return via Rodez. Time permitting, stop at Chateau de Belcastel. Dinner at home.

Mon. May 25 – Gouffre de Padirac, lunch in l’Hospitalet at l’Esplanade, Rocamadour. Dinner at home.

Tues. May 26 – Spend the day in Figeac, do a walking tour of the town, see Musée Champollion, Place des Ecritures (facsimile of Rosetta Stone), etc. Dinner in Figeac. (Any recommendations in the 25-30 euro range?)

Weds. May 27 – Drive to Cahors for Weds market day. (Smaller than Sat. but hoping still worthwhile.) See Pont Valentré, Cathedrale Saint-Etienne, perhaps do a boat ride on the Lot. Resistance museum? Dinner at home.

Thurs. May 28 – Grotte de Pech-Merle, St-Cirq-Lapopie following the Célé River (via Marcilhac-sur-Cél&eacute return along the Lot (via Cajarc) Dinner at home.

Fri. May 29 – Cordes-sur-Ciel, Albi (lunch), return via Camjac to see Château du Bosc (boyhood home of T-L). Dinner in Figeac.(Recommendations?)

Sat. May 30 – Leave house by 9:30 am, stop near Millau (picnic spot within sight of the viaduc?), drop C. in Montpellier for train to Paris [15:26 – 18:45], drive on to Cabrières d'Avignon(stop for groceries in Cavaillon), arriving at house around 5:00 pm, settle in, relax. Dinner at le Vieux Bistrot in Cabrières.

Our second week is in Provence, still a bit sketchy but I know this area better so I think I can do a good itinerary for this week. But suggestions still welcome.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM

>>Sun. May 24 – Drive to Conques,see cathedral & treasury, then follow the Lot River to Entraygues-sur-Truyère, Gorges du Lot (picnic?) to Estaing, Espalion, St Côme d’Olt, return via Rodez. Time permitting, stop at Chateau de Belcastel. Dinner at home.<<

The drive to Rodez is not scenic at all, and Rodez will be as dead as can be on a Sunday (it's only a C+ city anyway).

>>Mon. May 25 – Gouffre de Padirac, lunch in l’Hospitalet at l’Esplanade, Rocamadour. Dinner at home.<<

Rocamadour has about the second most tourists per square foot in France (behind Mt St Michel) - or at least it seems that way. I would visit Rocamadour first thing in the morning before the day-trippers arrive en mass - get there by 9am. The view from l'Hospitalet is best in the morning when the sun is best for the view to Rocamadour. Later in the day the view will not be good. Then visit the Gouffre - perhaps have a picnic there. After the Gouffre, do a swing through Autoire, Loubressac, and especially Carennac. If time permits, continue west & visit Martel. Then get on the freeway at entrance # 55 & get back to Figeac.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:22 AM

I would be a bit concerned about planning to buy groceries in Figeac at or after 5 PM on a Saturday unless you are sure there is a hypermarche.

I can't speak with authority on Figeac, though it will make a delightful center for touring, but shopkeepers in towns of similar size tend to roll down the doors around that time.

If there is any possibility of arriving late and there is no hypermarche, you may want to pick up enough on the way to last through the weekend.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stu. I wasn't really planning on stopping in Rodez, just taking that route to return to Figeac so as not to retrace my steps and because the Chateau de Belcastel is off that route.

I hear you about Rocamadour! I've been there before but it was several years ago. I was wondering if I might fit in a few other places that day, so I appreciate your suggestion.

Ackislander, thanks for the reminder. I have had that experience of being stuck with no place to buy groceries on a Saturday. I'd prefer to be able to check the house before shoppping (and without 11 other people in tow!) but, if necessary, can stop somewhere en route to Figeac. I imagine my house owner can suggest where to do my shopping.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Hi Betty

Looks like you've got a doable itin going

>>>Sun. May 24 – Drive to Conques,see cathedral & treasury, then follow the Lot River to Entraygues-sur-Truyère, Gorges du Lot (picnic?) to Estaing, Espalion, St Côme d’Olt, return via Rodez. Time permitting, stop at Chateau de Belcastel. Dinner at home.<<<

Looks l;ike you're leaving out my suggestion for Frerrieres in Almon-les-Junies. I do hope you can fit it in. Picnics are great, but yo can do that anywhere.

I notice Stu D. suggests the Cirque d'Autoire as i also did. Therefore, two Stu's must make a right! Please don't miss it..very scenic experience.

Stu T.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Well, I think Rodez is absolutely beautiful, though I admit it will be dead on a Sunday. The market there is wonderful - Wednesday mornings and Friday afternoons....something to consider.

Here's an article you might enjoy reading:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ducing-aveyron
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM

I thought the markets in le Bugue, Perigueux, Cahors, Caussade, Villefranche de Rouergue, & St Cyprien were better than the one in Rodez. I also think Perigueux, Albi, Figeac, Sarlat (much smaller), are more intresting cities than Rodez. I even thought that Aurillac was more interesting. Rodez has a nice church tower. We visited Rodez 3 times, and got lost trying to leave the city every time.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Hello again, stu t. The itinerary I gave here is my original version. I may well adjust it to take "the two Stus" into consideration. My only hesitation about your restaurant is that it is sort of out of the way. Do you think we could have lunch there and still see the villages along the Lot River Valley that I've listed? And of course, if the weather isn't very nice, the restaurant will seem much more attractive than a picnic.

StCirq, thanks very much for the link to that great article and your take on Rodez. I'm afraid that both just add to my dilemma - too much to see, too little time! Maybe we could squeeze in a stop in Rodez on the way home from Albi on Friday.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM

<<I thought the markets in le Bugue, Perigueux, Cahors, Caussade, Villefranche de Rouergue, & St Cyprien were better than the one in Rodez>>

Well, better is subjective. I love all those markets, but what I liked about the market in Rodez was that the products on sale were significantly different from the ones you find in the Dordogne/Lot/Quercy. Those Aveyron cheeses are just wonderful. And the setting is very pleasing, in that diamond-shaped area in front of the cathedral.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM

You'll love Belcastel! The Chateau de Belcastel is filled with original art, and the small village is a dream! That's the tiny village we rented a gite in not long ago. There is also an excellent restaurant there http://www.hotelbelcastel.com/home_FR.php!

You've chosen a beautiful area to visit!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Like I stated earlier, I think Albi is much more intresting than Rodez. You might have somewhat of a letdown of you visit Rodez after Albi. Instead, visit the very interesting Bastide town (look up what a Bastide town is, in the Michelin GG), and visit one of my favorites - Castelnau de Montmiral - 40K or so west of Albi. Lisl sur Tarn is also an interesting Bastide town.

Albi closes up tight for lunch. Don't know about the Church or Toulouse Lautrec museum, however.

Cordes is kind of a "little sister" to Conques - which is much more interesting. You may be disappointed in Cordes too. Perhaps do the Gorges de l'Aveyron in the morning (visiting Bruniquel), then take the lovely D964 to Castelnau (have lunch there), then visit Albi after the stores open in the afternoon.

Weve stayed in a Gite utside of Cabrieres d'Avignon on 2 trips, of 2 weeks each. Don't stop in Cavaillon - it's really kind of a dumpy town (comparted to others in the region) - especially where the grocery stores are located. There is a very nice/larger than "normal" Mom & Pop grocery in Cabrierers, where you might be able to get everything you need. It will be a much more authentic/rewarding experience than stopping in Cavaillon. Good wine selection. There is also a good boucherie directly across the street from the grocery. We ordered a Bresse chicken from the butcher, and he roasted it for us. They also have deli items (so does the grocery). There is a bakery around the corner. I'm pretty sure all are open on Sunday (and Sat). If you don't get everything you need, there is a huge grocery store that is open Sunday morning, on the way from l'Isle sur la Sorgue to Pernes. Visit it after the l'Isle sur la Sorgue market.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Camp Counselor Betty with her 11 campers:

Your refining things very nicely..you are in for a lovely visit to some of France's finest.

Your question:
Do you think we could have lunch there and still see the villages along the Lot River Valley that I've listed?

In fact we did the very same thing. A-les-J is on a lovely "deserted" country road and and just a 6-7 km. backtrack can take you back to the very Lot-hugging road you would want to take from Conques to Entraygues. Anyway, your choice.

At any rate, my Red Sox baseball cap is off to you for the courageous undertaking. In '05 I "took" 16 of my readership on a "footsteps" journey through Romania and Bulgaria. We had a minibus and a driver. Only had a hard time from two of the party (chronic shoppers...more interested in the whether a town had a shopping mall or not) both of whom I was about to drop off in a very remote Carpathian Mountains region, after saying: "I have an old shepherd friend up here who would love to have your company during the cold winter! I will contact your next of kin...."

They shut up about "shopping malls" for the rest of the trip.

stu t.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Stu D. Albi is something of a pilgrimage for me since I lived there for a year many moons ago and have been back several times since then. I had planned to get there in time for a light lunch, (probably at the Café Pontié on the Place du Vigan - my old hangout), walk about the old town a bit, and see the T-L Museum when it reopens at 2:00. I have been to Cordes and am not overly fond of it, so I might substitute a drive through some of those small towns/villages to the west of Albi. If you were going to stop in only 1-2 of them, looks like you would suggest maybe Bruniquel and Castelnau?

And thanks a lot for your suggestions about where to shop near Cabrières. A perfect example of why I love this forum! You can't get that sort of info from a book.

Stu T LOL! Loved your story. This will be my 6th group trip so I know some of the pitfalls. Fortunately, these folks are my students (College for Seniors French class)so they know me and each other fairly well. And as their teacher I get to tell them what to do! Seriously I've had very few problems in the past.

You've convinced me about the restaurant - I think we'll give it a try if I can find a phone number to call ahead on Saturday. I don't imagine they would appreciate a group of 12 just dropping by for Sunday lunch! Maybe my house owner can find a number for me.

And Images2, thanks for the encouragement about Belcastel. (I think I read your excellent trip report on your stay in this area.) BTW, for anyone else reading this in the future, there's a small error in the link you posted. Just take away the ! at the end and it works fine. Maybe we'll check on that restaurant.

Encore une fois, merci à tous!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:17 PM

>>looks like you would suggest maybe Bruniquel and Castelnau?<<

yep

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the correction on the web site address Betty.

There's actually a story on Albi and it's cathedral on TF1 13h on line news today, February 5, if anyone is interested in seeing it.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Betty:

Just an off-handed fun suggestion....as you see, you'll be seeing and stopping in so many towns and villages in the Dordogne, Lot, Quercy regions...many having an "ac" ending...Carennac, Loubressac, Figeac, etc etc...With a straight face and serious tone, you might mention

"After Loubresac, we'll be passing through Maniac, Carjac (please keep all car doors locked), Sacroiliac (home of the famed Southern France Chiropractic Institute), Zantac (production facility for the popular heartburn medication), Auril-lac (brand name for a popular French laxative), Almanac, etc", ad nauseam.

..we got into this on a regional visit with two longtime friends, and at one point we were laughing long enough to require an emergency pit stop! Amazing how many "ac" names you can come up with... with appropriate tongue-in-cheek descriptions.

I occasionally conduct programs for Elderhostel folks..one in particular is my annual Rose Bowl -History of Hollywood tour on Dec. 31st...with senior groups from all over the country, gotta leave 'em laughin'...(I'm one of the patriarchs of that crowd, so I know)

Levity is good for what ails ya...

Note: If you pass through "Condom", you're on your own, kiddo!

Stu T.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Oooh! Thanks for that, Images. Will check it out tout de suite and maybe send it to my group. I sometimes use the TF1 broadcasts with my Advanced students but I haven't checked it lately.

And to stu... you're a hoot! Funny you should mention "Carjac" - when I was looking for a house in this area, one website mentioned that their place was close to Carjac. I finally figured out they meant Cajarc. I suppose we can forgive them the spelling error with all the other -ac towns around there.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM

by the way, Betty, I neglected to mention to be sure to visit Lilac...lovely flower gardens therein.

stu Tower

(OK, OK, I'll stop right there!)
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM

...be sure not to ignore a visit to Shellac, noted for it's world renowned Paint Factory...tours can be arranged for your groupies.

Stu T.

I'm sick, I'm sick! The devil made me do it!