distilleries low highlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see a few distilleries in Scotland. I want to rent a car, leave Edinburgh on a monday night and return by tuesday night. Any sugegsted itineraries?

Murray
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM

May I slightly head you off at the pass, please? Why do you want to see a "few" distilleries? The differences are minisclue between them. Unless you are the sort of afficionado who can work out the benefit of a stright or curved swan neck and whether the lyne arm should rise or fall

What you REALLY want to do (I hate people who say that!) is vmake one very good distillery visit, preferably where there's a malting floor, and then spend some time in a good shop, a good whisky hotel or the Scotch Malt Whisky Society rooms.

When are you coming?

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:41 AM

I would agree with Sheila that unless you are specifically into whisky distilleries then a visit to one good distillery would in the main suffice. You do not have to travel far from Edinburgh to find such a distillery. Glenkinchie Whisky Distillery (also known as the Edinburgh Malt) is located in a valley near Pencaitland in East Lothian and when travelling there it is well signposted. This is a working distillery with an excellent visitors Centre providing informative tours and very importantly tastings. www.discovering-distilleries.com/glenkinchie If you have any questions then look at www.activitypoint.co.uk/en/e00/00583 and contact the distillery staff themselves. You can prior to visiting the distillery travel around East Lothian to visit places such at the Scottish Seabird Centre in North Berwick, www.seabird.org,
The Myreton motor museum http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/feat...eaturefirst265
or the the Museum of Flight. www.nms.ac.uk/museumofflighthomepage.aspx
Another website which could be of interest if you are using a car in East Lothian is www.northberwickuk.com/index

Alternatively there are bus tours to the distillery one of which also includes a visit to Rosslyn Chapel. www.heartofscotlandtours.co.uk
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Not to give offence to Glenkinchie, but it's no' awfu' bonny. There are prettier distilleries to visit within reasonable driving distance of Edinburgh.

(and it's a Lowland malt- pshaw!)
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Go to Oban. Three hours on the train.