Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A trip including Paris, Berlim, Warsaw, Prague, Venice, Firenze, Rome and Geneva. Any tips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-trip-including-paris-berlim-warsaw-prague-venice-firenze-rome-and-geneva-any-tips-73870/)

Débora e Alexandre May 28th, 2000 06:25 PM

A trip including Paris, Berlim, Warsaw, Prague, Venice, Firenze, Rome and Geneva. Any tips?

We will be going for our first trip to Europe next July. We´ll be in all these cities, some for more time (Paris, Warsaw, Prague, Venice, Firenze and Rome), others just for one day (Berlim and Geneva). So, we would love if you have some tips for us, like best place to eat, to shop, to walk, etc. We discover this forum just today and we are very happy for this opportunitty to change ideas and tips. Thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>Débora and Alexandre - São Paulo, Brazil

Linda May 28th, 2000 07:48 PM

Berlin needs more than 1 day. Unless Warsaw is a must, leave it off. Berlin has Checkpoint Charlie Museum, Pergamon Museum with ancient ruin, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, symphony, KaDeWe Department Store on Kurfurstendam Strasse. Firenze has Michaelangelo's David, gelato at Vivoli's, Robert & Elizabeth Browning's home, Ponte Vecchio.

Art May 28th, 2000 10:12 PM

From what I've read Krakow would be better to visit than Warsaw. Your itenary misses the most beautiful city in Europe, Budapest(my opinion). <BR>Sounds like a great trip. Hsppy travels. <BR>

Ben Haines May 29th, 2000 10:13 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR>Severalof these journeys make good overnight trips in railway sleeping cars. Suitable trains include <BR>Paris Nord 2046 Berlin Zoo 0752: this train has a buffet car <BR>Berlin Zoo 2055, Krakow Glowny (beware pickpockets) 0756: this train has a buffet car <BR>Morning train Prague to Vienna South, then Vienna South 2234, Venice Santa Lucia 0842 <BR> <BR>I have on disc a note on night trains in Europe. Please tell me if I should copy it to you., or if you hsave other queries. <BR> <BR>Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Débora e Alexandre May 29th, 2000 06:00 PM

We wish to thank all you that take some time to answer us. All tips will be used. To Ben, we thank you for the train tips, but this part of the travel is all right. We would like to know more tips about places to eat, to shop, this sort of thing. And also would like to know if someone´s know the Dum U Cerveneho Iva Hotel in Prague, and if yes, what about it (good, medium, etc.). <BR>Please, feel free to answer here or to our e-mail. Thanks! <BR> <BR>Débora e Alexandre

Chris Jun 1st, 2000 03:27 AM

Geneva is one day. Take a one hour or so boat tour around part of the lake, go to the clock museum (be there on the hour for the big clock in the back room), don't ask for hot chocolate (I got a cup of hot water and a package of instant chocolate -- I expected so much more). Have the breakfast for two at a restaurant by the train station (right outside of the entrance by customs and immigration) -- outstanding.

Maira Jun 1st, 2000 03:50 AM

Débora & Alexandre ---- pack an extra bag to fill with purchases, specially with crystal from Prague. The bohemian crystal is incredibly inexpensive in Prague and so beautiful! Also, beautiful garnet pins. Easy to carry, very special presents. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!

peter Jun 1st, 2000 08:55 AM

I second Art's opinion that Warsaw, should be switched for Krakow (original Polish capital), which is much nicer and full of history. Warsaw was completely destroyed durring WW2 and than rebuild - places to see: "Old City", and area where you need about a day, visit Kings Palace (rebuild in 70's 80's) at the enterance to old city. Visit some of the churches and if you are into cemeteries visit the most famus in poland "Powaski" all the famous people rest there. Rest of Warsaw althought rebuilding quickly, is rather gray and has a post-communism "charm". Places to eat: there are planty of restaurants and pubs caffes at old square and around Old City for every taste - "Bazyliszek" is one of them as well as mexican, italian etc. Not to mention fast food PizzaHut, McDonalds - which is just all over the place. <BR>Krakow is definitely more than 1day and it is not to miss as well as Budapest in Hungry.

jeanie Jun 1st, 2000 10:09 AM

Paris, cafes, Louve, Versaille and the flea market enroute. <BR> <BR>Berlin, Checkpoint Charlie is a must. <BR> <BR>Prague, everything there is georgeous. <BR> <BR>Rome, musuems, collesiums and second hand flea markets. If I am not wrong, there is a church which contains all the human bones. Not too scary but artistic. <BR> <BR>Venice, the island making all the glasses. I forgot the name though. <BR> <BR>Geneva, only recall the flower clock. Not much. <BR> <BR>