Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A special Piedmont Place to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-special-piedmont-place-to-stay-699713/)

Cee Apr 24th, 2007 01:08 PM

A special Piedmont Place to stay?

We are looking for a very special place to stay in the Piedmont area. We like smaller, charming, elegant (but not basic or budget) well located, with a view of the gorgeous area. We would like to eat dinner there one or two nights, but be close enough to other restaurants that we can navigate our way home at night.

We had a wonderful stay in Tuscany a few years ago at a podere. They suggested itineraries for us during the day, arranged wine tastings, and in the evening the guests would gather under the pergola each night for a fabulous meal with lots of wine. We are looking for that same kind of experience in the Piedmont, perhaps adding a cooking class one day, as well.
Any suggestions would be welcome!

bobthenavigator Apr 24th, 2007 04:56 PM

Look at Villa Sampaguita near Asti or Baur B&B in Acqui Terme--both are hard to beat.

traveller1959 Apr 25th, 2007 01:22 AM

We have stayed for a couple of nights at Locanda Sant Uffizio near Asti. It was a fantastic experience. We had a kind of half-board arrangement, with apéritif and dinner and digestif, and it was just perfect. Certainly the best cuisine I ever enjoyed in Italy (you know, with French influence). They grow their own wine on the premises, and it is just lovely.

We stayed in the historic main building and our rooms were breathtaking. Imagine a large vaulted room with a gothic ceiling and the bathroom installed as kind of box with a glass ceiling within this room.

The location is right in the countryside, extremely quiet, but with good access to the autostrada.

It was pricey, I must admit, but worth every cent. "Free sparkling wine" does here not mean just one glass - it means as much as you want and they gladly open a second bottle for you.

Piedmont_Phil Apr 25th, 2007 04:47 AM

Our friends over at la villa hotel may be what you are looking for. They open their (brand new) restaurant this weekend. www.lavillahotel.net.

Alternatively check out trip advisor for some independant reviews of the regions best...

Cee Apr 25th, 2007 12:58 PM

wow --those are some great suggestions! I am following up on them. A couple others I have come across are Villa Vigneto, Cascina Christiana, and Villa la Favorita.
Any feedback on those?

bellacqui Apr 26th, 2007 03:38 AM

Hi, Cee,

I don't know the Vigneto, but Cascina Christiana is a very nice place (we also serve Peter and Christiane's wines, which are fab) and so is La Favorita. It just depends what kind of level of service you are looking for. Each place has its own special things.

jvoigtm Apr 28th, 2007 02:32 PM

Once again, I agree with Bob the Navigator, the Baur B&B is a really special spot. (www.baurbb.com). Email Diana the American owner and you certainly won't be disappointed.

jgg Apr 28th, 2007 03:17 PM

We stayed at Baur B&B last June for 5 nights and it is now one of our most special places in Europe. Diana and Mischa are perfect hosts and they have made an exquisite B&B.