Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A source for discontinued china in Paris?

Nov 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

I just broke a Villeroy and Boch side plate. It was the Botanica pattern, which we inherited from my mother-in-law. I know there are several places in North America that specialize in such things, but we're on our way to Paris in a couple of weeks and we're wondering whether we might find one there.

This might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know of a store in Paris that stocks discontinued china? And as a bit of a back up, what French phrase would one use for "discontinued china patterns".

Many thanks, as always.

Anselm
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM

I can't help you with a place in Paris, but if all else fails there's a U.S. site called replacements.com, and I've had good luck finding Villeroy et Boch pieces there.

Happy hunting! There are such lovely patterns.
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Hope you find it; Botanica is a beautiful pattern. But, as Underhill says, I imagine Replacements has it.
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Replacements is very reliable, but you do pay a premium for the ease of going through them.

I have a couple of old Spode patterns, and I usually add to them via eBay.

If you don't find what you're looking for in Paris, try eBay when you return home.

(And have a great trip.)
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM

If you look at replacements.com, you'll see there are two versions of Botanica. The more recently discontinued version has a "thin brown trim" on the edge. There are many pieces of this version available. The other version is described as having a "thick brown trim" on the edge, and there are only five pieces of this version available.

FWIW, I've used Replacements a couple of times. Their service is very good, and I've recommended the company to others.
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Underhill, grandmere, and pavot. Nice to hear that Replacements is a reliable source, as we may end up ordering through them.

It would be fun to plumb the depths of Paris in search of a side plate (well, four, actually, as the set was missing a couple when we got it and we've I've broken two in the past year).

AA
Nov 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Ooops, missed your post, Jean.

Ours have the thin brown trim and the roots. I recollect that Villeroy and Boch dropped the roots in the later years of production?

AA
Nov 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Villeroy and Boch is based in Mettlach, Germany; there is a factory outlet store not far from there.

There is also a V&B outlet in La Vallee Village mall outside Paris.

I do realize that this info may not be useful to you, but perhaps someone else might like to know.
Nov 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM

It would be "un réassortiment" in French.

You could try contacting their main store 21 rue Royale
www. [email protected]
Nov 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, too, ekscrunchy.

Pvoyageuse, thanks for the address for V and B in Paris. We'll stop by and ask. And thanks, too, for "un réassortiment". I'm not sure I would have been able to find that in my English-French dictionary.

AA
Nov 14th, 2009, 06:06 AM

AA,
Wishing you and your wife a wonderful trip. It's always great fun "searching" for some needed item in Paris, n'est-ce pas? Where will you be staying this year? EJ
Nov 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Have a great trip.

I am wondering why I have not been to Paris lately -- the last time was around March 2007, when we organized that Fodors GTG at Bistrot du Peintre.

I look forward to your trip report, always an illumination. Let us know esp. how the Batignolles apt. works out.
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, elsiejune. Yes, we felt we needed something to do beyond our list of 14 restaurants, apartment cooking, and obligatory café time. We really do slow to a crawl in Paris now.

We're moving out to the 17th this trip:

www.rentalapartmentparis.com/Visit Our Paris Vacation Apartment.htm

This apartment has been on our short list ever since LuckyLuc wrote that epic trip report several years ago. (He now owns his own pied-à-terre in the 11th, which he offers for rent through VRBO). And Nikki stayed in the Truffaut apartment a year ago this month and gave it a good report card, so we're eager to explore a new neighbourhood.

tedgale, we'll do our best with the trip report. No dead soldiers this time.

AA
Nov 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

That url seems to lead to oblivion. This ought to do it:

www.rentalapartmentparis.com/index.shtml
Nov 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Yes, I've also had that apartment bookmarked for sometime. I'll be eager to read how you both feel this spot compares with Sheila's flat on rue des Petits Champs. Meantime, je vous souhaite un bon voyage. EJ
Nov 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Ted, funny you mentioned that get-together. I just returned from dinner at the Bistrot du Peintre with another Fodor's poster, Seafox.

Anselm, sorry I will miss you since I'm leaving before you get to Paris. This trip I have slowed to a crawl myself. But I did see a really funny comic that you would likely find entertaining also. There was a thread about it here on Fodor's but it sank quickly. The show is "How to become Parisian in one hour" at the Theatre de la Main d'Or, very near the aforementioned Bistrot du Peintre. A French comic doing a show in English, the audience about half French and half English speaking tourists.

This is the thread about it:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-one-hour.cfm

I'm enjoying "your" apartment on rue Mornay. You will be surprised to hear that Baz Art Cafe has vanished. There is a lighting store there. But I have enjoyed meals at the restaurant that replaced l'Ecume and the one next to it.

Hope you enjoy "my" apartment in Batignolles.
Nov 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM

My parents had excellent help from the Galleries Lafayette when trying to replace some discontinued Limoges plates and bowls some years ago. As I recall, some woman in the china department there spent literally a few hours researching and arranged for everything to be shipped. I imagine the Villeroy & Bosch store itself would be a better source, but just in case it doesn't work....
Nov 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, elsiejune.

Nikki, I had completely missed that thread about the comedy show. We'll put it on our list. Too bad about Baz Art and l'Écume. Now that I think about it, I recollect reading that here earlier, perhaps in a post by Leely.

StCirq, a great lead. Je vous remercie.

AA