Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A small French village of little interest

Jun 21st, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

On this site, I often see people asking for picturesque villages to visit, preferably with a lively farmer's market, some wonderful little restaurants, a panoramic view and some colorful characters.

Well, the vast majority of French villages are not like that. The cafés closed long ago, you can't even visit the locked church, and you don't see a soul in the streets, but you see all of their satellite dishes in back of their houses. The architecture is very basic and there's nothing to take a picture of (or is there?). Shopping is done once a week at the nearest hypermarket, and the least fortunate have three chances a day to catch the bus that briefly stops in town.

And yet the people of these villages remain very attached to where they live, in spite of all of the shortcomings. And some of us are attached even when it was just the village of our grandparents and some summer holidays (in my case once every four years when the family had saved enough money for the trip).

I don't know if you'll find anything interesting in my village, but I invite you to take a look at it anyway: http://tinyurl.com/23fqt45
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM

Correction, this village USED to be of little interest. Your excellent analysis has now brought to light the inherent interest in this once anonymous locale.
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM

In many ways the basic phenomenon is repeated in many other countries including the US. What some of us would truly consider shortcomings those remaining behind don't consider or if they do they have accepted, etc., you know the deal.

I am, unfortunately, unable to open any of the images here in my office but will take another, longer look, after I get home. As usual I expect to be impressed and the whole thing reminds me of those pictures of days-gone-by institutions such as the state hospitals, the orphanages, etc.,..they are grim but there is a certain amount of allure..something fascinating and "attractive" for some of us...

Thanks very much for sharing this.
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM

Kerouac
Thank you so much for this tour of 'your' village. We have spent so many trips wandering thru areas of France taking random pictures that could easily be interspersed (sp?) thru yours. Haven't been fortunate enough to have gone for a couple of years. I live vicariously thru your wonderful photo essays. I also really enjoyed Metz. I'm working on my DH for another trip but the driving is getting harder. Thank you and keep on shooting! CJ
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks. You always seem to bring out the interesting, non-mainstream ideas/places.

I grew up in a mining town. It's a different life.
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM

Finally, kerouac, a picture of you.

Thank you, really, for the trip down your memory lane and through the poppy fields of your history.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Frankly, Nikki, it isn't the most recent one of me that I could find.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:24 AM

I was right...I was impressed and again, thank you.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:37 AM

Kerouac, thank you for the photo essay and comments. Your posts are always entertaining and informative no matter what the subject matter.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:39 AM
tod

A really wonderful insight Kerouac, many thanks.
Didn't you have a photo of a very young boy (yourself) with a camera slung around his neck on 'Any Port in a Storm'? I liked it a lot.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:02 AM

Wonderful, Kerouac, thank you.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the photos and the text.

It makes a nice change from all those posts about pickpockets and white shoes. In my experience, most of France has some similarities to your village.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM

I agree with Chartley. Kerouac your village is very similar to mine near Dijon, an old church, 2 restaurants, 1 grocery/bakery, a post office, a Sunday market, garage sale on the 1st of May every year, the town hall (where I got married) with the primary school attached to it (and a memorial on the main square), an "ecole maternelle" for the youngest ones (from 3 to 5), 2 cemetaries and 2 wash houses, football, tennis and skateboard playgrounds and fields all around (the aspargus are famous).
It is very lively and pleasant and so close to Dijon that more and more people have a house built there and maybe some day my village will touch Dijon. About 1200 inhabitants today, less than 1000 when I settled there 15 years ago and it is still growing. And it is the same for all the villages close to Dijon. And my boys go to school to Dijon by bus (there is also a tiny train station to take you to Dijon main station in 20min)
The perfect compromise when you like the countryside but don't want to be lost too far from your lovely capital.
Now you made me want to take pictures of my village!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
ira

Hi K,

Great report.

>Except for giving the rest of the country the recipe for quiche, cabbage stew (potée lorraine) and mirabelle tart,........<

That's not enough?

You left out Bergamote de Nancy
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:40 AM

An excellent job on another one of your fine pictoral essays Kerouac. Enjoyed the anecdotal stories.

Thank you also for reminding us that the majority of villages are not picture-postcard, flower bedecked, scene stoppers, but rather, honest and practical communities where peoples' lives and histories are made and remembered.

M
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM

So interesting! Thanks for the visit.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:08 AM

Thank you for the lovely interlude I just enjoyed.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:19 AM

Wonderfully well done, Kerouac! Makes me envious; for most Americans the idea of having a "home village" is a dream. All of the places from my youth have been paved over by the spreading cancer of the "slurbs".

Also, the mobility of our society makes identifying roots difficult. I once counted, and found I changed houses 14 times before I entered High School, as my parents moved during the depression looking for work. ! I wouldn't know where to start looking for my roots --- and that is sad.

Coco, when can we expect the shots of your village?
Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:57 AM

Sans request, here are some links to my home town.
No editorializing required.

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...810098,00.html

http://www.sweet-juniper.com/2009/07/feral-houses.html

http://www.life.com/image/ugc1029432/in-gallery/36682

WARNING: these photos are of Detroit
Jun 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM

Did I find it interesting? Yes, it was something different and enjoyed a look at your home town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO