Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A Romantic Restaurant in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-romantic-restaurant-in-paris-511637/)

pabrams52 Mar 11th, 2005 10:06 PM

A Romantic Restaurant in Paris

It will be my first visit to Paris this June '05 and my husband and I will spend our 10th anniversary in that special city. There are, needless to say, endless fabulous and expensive restaurants. I've been drooling over the websites. But, I'd really like to hear the opinions of other experienced Paris travelers on which is the best value and most romantic setting for such an occasion. We figure to spend about $75-$100 per person on this special meal. Please let me know WHY you are suggesting your favorite. Many thanks!

RonZ Mar 12th, 2005 07:11 AM

I can highly recommend Armand au Palais Royale. You can get a description and pictures on reservethebest.com. Also search the board for past posts.

Underhill Mar 12th, 2005 08:37 AM

Lassere is a beautiful restaurant, and on nice evenings the roof can be rolled back to let in the night sky. That's pretty romantic in my book! BTW, the food is very good too.

cigalechanta Mar 12th, 2005 09:00 AM

Buy the book, Romantic Paris by Thirza Vallois, the photos are beautiful, a an idea of the menus.

"She wanted to be in Paris, the city
propittious to lovers, where policemen
smiled absolution and taxi drivers
never interrupted a kiss."
-Anais Nin

SOPHIEDEPARIS Mar 12th, 2005 09:08 AM

hi!
1st for food and the view , 2nd is one of the most wellknown french restaurants ,terrific food.
www.cieldeparis.com
this is the highest restaurant in Paris , at the top of the TOUR MONTPARNASSE.
So if you have dinner there , it's going to be good and the view will be really excellent.
www.tourdargent.com
This is more like an institution for the French.
The food is absolutely superb, very classic , the view is good (Notre-Dame!).
Both websites have an English version.Both are expensive (Le Ciel de Paris less then La Tour d'Argent ) , but are worth it.
Don't forget the wine at such restaurants will cost about 1/3 of the bill , is never included of course , and don't take any Bordeaux or Bourgogne except if you know exactly what you want:take instead a "Cote-du-Rhone" or "Vin de Loire" , they'll still be excellent!
Prices: Le Ciel de Paris has a very good menu for 54euros per person (should be about 65usd these days).A bottle of wine should be available for 35 euros , I suppose.
If you're happy with the view , service , ect , a 5 to 7 euros tip should do.
At the Tour d'Argent , it'll probably cost 130 euros per person , don't expect any menu , wines should start at 50euros at least , and since the service will be great , you'll have to tip them 10%....but the place is much more like a live french food museum!!!

SOPHIEDEPARIS Mar 12th, 2005 09:29 AM

I am soooooo sorry!I forgot "la Guirlande de Julie" on the Place des Vosges , in the Marais area , 5 minutes from the Place de la Bastille.There's also the "COCONAS"on the same Place des Vosges.
Both charming , the 1st one has a 32euros menu excluding wine (should start at 18-20euros)and tip.
Why these restaurants plus de previous ones?
1-the view at the Ciel de Paris is gorgeous and the food very nice.
2-the Tour d'Argent is a myth , and the view also worth it , and the inside of the buiding as well.If you're a real wine lover , go for it no matter <hat it costs!
3-La Guirlande de Paris is in the oldest and most beautiful area of the city , according to me!Very Louis XIII and Richelieu and 3 Musketeers place!
4-Coconas I haven't been to in years , but it's right accross the street from the above.
That's what I forgot to say previously!

StCirq Mar 12th, 2005 09:31 AM

I'll second the recommendations for Armand au Palais Royale and the Guirlande de Julie, in that order.

cigalechanta Mar 12th, 2005 09:46 AM

http://www.toprestaurants.com/paris/beauvilliers.htm

cigalechanta Mar 12th, 2005 09:51 AM

I forgot to mention dining in the garden of the Paris Ritz is very romantic.

MelissaHI Mar 12th, 2005 10:56 AM

...all of theabove are very, very good suggestions. I just wanted to throw one in for the "concept" of romance, if you have time for it. Le Grand Vefour is supposedly where Napoleon courted Josephine.

pabrams52 Mar 13th, 2005 10:50 PM

Thank you, all! Now comes the tough part - making a decision. I know reservations are crucial and I wouldn't want to slip up on such an important occasion. You've all been very helpful!!

LoriNY Mar 14th, 2005 06:57 AM

I third Armand au Palais Royale!!! Loved this place. And if your budget permits it Le Grand Vefour is the most beautiful restaurant I have ever seen with great food.

grandmere Mar 14th, 2005 07:29 AM

I'm almost certain that I found Armand au Palais Royal on reservethebest.com a couple of months ago, and now I can't find it there. Was hoping to easily reserve for dinner in May on the site. Anyone know anything about this?

francophile03 Mar 14th, 2005 07:31 AM

Someone I know ate Valentine's Day dinner at Le Coupe Chou which is featured in Thirza Vallois' "Romantic Paris" book. It's in the Latin Quarter (5th district). I was told that the rooms look even nicer in person than what's shown on their website.

Eloise Mar 14th, 2005 07:37 AM

Grandmere:

If you Google Armand au Palais Royal, reservethebest is the first site that comes up -- and it opens.

cigalechanta Mar 14th, 2005 07:37 AM

Here you are, grandmere.

http://www.reservethebest.com/_fr_/r...ant.php?Id=138

AprilinParis Mar 14th, 2005 02:15 PM

A lot of these are more than the $100 per person category but I would definitely recommend Le Grand Vefour. Very beautiful with excellent food. They will be closed when we head there in April but we are trying Le Cinq and Lucas Carton this time. Can give you a report when we get back - although we are doing lunches to try and extend the budget.

Underhill Mar 14th, 2005 02:20 PM

Since you'll be in Paris in June, consider Le Pre Catalan for your special dinner. The setting in the park's gardens is beautiful, and the restaurant is very romantic.

travelbunny Mar 14th, 2005 03:31 PM

..just a comment..if your budget could be expanded a bit (tuna fish sandwiches and no starbucks for a month??), I would save and go to L'Ambroisie on Place des vosges...really expensive though!! The other restaurants listed above on pdv are in great location but I would not call them romantic or special (though certainly are good!)..only problem is getting a reservation at L'Ambroisie!!

Grandmere1 Mar 14th, 2005 06:22 PM

Eloise and Mimi, thank you.