Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A quiet, solemn "hurrah!" for thousands of unsung heroes in Britain who are bringing an end to the FMD crisis

A quiet, solemn "hurrah!" for thousands of unsung heroes in Britain who are bringing an end to the FMD crisis

Mar 19th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Rex

This is not totally a new article in the Times (dateline from Friday) - - www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,580-100190,00.html - - but I think the news this morning is the ABSENCE of news - - in Belgium, Denmark, wherever there are NOT new announcements of FMD "jumping" the channel.

One can only imagine what all those farmers, veterinarians, ministers of health and countless others are going through - - to get Britain back "open for business" as quickly as possible.

Some excerpts from the aforementioned article:

=============================

...one million sheep, pig and goats within three kilometres of areas infected with foot-and-mouth disease will be slaughtered in the next four weeks, the Government indicated yesterday.

The cull has been ordered by ministers who are intent on returning the countryside to normal life within ten days. They hope that firm action will enable ramblers and holidaymakers to return to large tracts of Lincolnshire, East Anglia, Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset.

==========================

Due to this remarkable sacrifice, I predict that travel to Europe will be "back to normal", in large measure, for most of April, if not all...

And there are likely to be a spate of bargains for some opportunists.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 19th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Jan

Rex, Would that I could share you optimism as to the countryside being back to normal in 10 days. Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case. The chief veterinary officer of MAFF said only at the weekend that the crisis could go on for months yet even with the slaughter of these apparently healthy animals. Plus the powers that be cannot yet keep up with the incineration of affected animals,farmers have been complaining about this fact during the last few days. We all hope that things get back to normal soon ,I have friends in the farming industry and know what they are going through at present and this is from an area that does not have any Foot and Mouth cases at present. I for one love hiking and visiting the countryside but am more than willing to forgo these activities if it helps get rid of this awful disease the quicker.

Mar 19th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Mom

I understand that there has long been a vaccine out to control for this disease. Is it so expensive that it has fallen into dis-use? Did the industry become complacent? Shouldn't we be immunizing our livestock as a standard practice?

Mar 19th, 2001, 07:32 AM
xxx

"Hurrah" for the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of sheep and cattle, most of which are not even infected. I hardly think so. What sane person would applaud mass paranoia obviously rooted in a superstitious medieval mentality? But what else should we expect? This is the same country that has signs in their airport stating that pets not entering the country through the proper channels, which includes a six-month quarantine, will be destroyed immediately.

Mar 19th, 2001, 10:49 AM
sylvia

Replying to the non trolls. The trouble with vaccination is that there is no way of knowing the difference between vaccinated animals and those incubating the disease. The draconian measures are designed to prevent the disease becoming endemic and losing the UK its F and M free status. I believe that there is a method used on mainland Europe where animals in the vicinity of an outbreak are vaccinated to prevent spread of the disease with these vaccinated animals being later killed.

Mar 19th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Amanda

The farmers are the ones I feel sorry for. Those animals were bred to be slaughtered in the first place, but the farmers of course expected to get paid for the slaughter. After BSE and this, I would imagine a lot more farmers will be getting out of the business.

And please don't worry about how the Brits treat their animals. This is a country with stricter animal protection laws than child abuse laws.

Mar 19th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Gina

Not all the animals were "bred to be slaughtered." Certainly the dairy cows weren't.

Mar 19th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Rex

Dairy cows and wool-producing sheep and goats are part of what I was talking about when I referred to the heroic sacrifice that some unsung heroes are making.

Mar 19th, 2001, 12:29 PM
SharonM

So, Rex.
Is this thread dedicated to the brave and heroic milk cows and wool-producing sheep then? I'm sure their unborn children will be proud of their stupendous sacrifice...

baaaaaah humbug.

Mar 19th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Rex

ummm... aren't you even sorry for their owners, sharon?

Mar 19th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Judy

Hello All, I do hope through this crisis, the small farmers in the UK, and worldwide finally get the respect and recognition they deserve. I hope this passes soon for their sakes, and the rest of the world too. Judy

Mar 19th, 2001, 01:15 PM
SharonM

Certainly, Rex, I feel compassion for the farmers. However, as "Mom" said, I too was under the impression that there has long been a vaccine available that could have been implemented BEFORE the fact, thus containing or preventing the outbreak, altogether.
I suppose in light of the present situation, things are being handled as well as possible.
After the fact...

Mar 19th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Sheila

I hate to side with Rex, here, but there are 2 good reasons for not using the vaccine.

1. is the sheer cost. It would outweigh the cost of the slaughter 10 fold (and that takes account of the 100% compensation paid to farmers for the loss of their stock)

2. is the fact that it would lead to the complete loss of the export market. F&M becomes endemic therefore we can't sell the meat overseas.

It won't happen; and it's not for lack of caring about animal welfare

Mar 19th, 2001, 02:16 PM
neville

As a matter of interest, the tourist industry, including many small hotel-owners, is losing more than twice the income of the farmers, with no hope of compensation, as restrictions on movement are in force countrywide, even in the many areas that are still disease-free.

Mar 19th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Barbara

Thanks, Rex. I've been feeling terrible for the farmers for a while now, especially the ones in SW Scotland and NW England whose flocks will be culled even if there is no sign of the virus. I do understand that sheep can carry the virus with no outward sign. I can't understand why, if similarly affected flocks in Devon are merely being monitored, the same can't be done further north.
Thanks also Sheila. I think we can add

3. Immunization is not very effective because there are many different strains of the disease, rather like flu in humans.