Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A quick trip to Ireland and Liverpool/Manchester UK

Mar 27th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

My wife just found out she will be attending a conference in Liverpool in June. We are thinking of making a vacation and going earlier and visiting Dublin before heading to Liverpool. We will be traveling with our 17 and 20 year old daughters. Because of everyone's schedules, we will only have 4 days in Ireland and before traveling to Liverpool where my daughters and I, will have another 5 days to explore.

We've never been to Ireland or to that part of the UK (London only). I am looking for suggestions of places to stay and things to do. Appreciate any insights you all can share.
Mar 27th, 2018, 06:07 PM

lovindublin.com great website. You might be able to catch a show but make hotel reservations asap. I like Smithfield, Trinity college area or by Christ Church. Close enough but you can sleep. Trinity rents out rooms during that time. You can take the dart train to Howth or Dalkey for the day. A day tour to Glendalough would be nice but there is so much to see and do in Dublin. Great museums that are free, shopping on Grafton, parks, history and best pubs.
Mar 27th, 2018, 06:22 PM

Are the family members with more available time content with those few days? If not, it seems to me it might be worthwhile for those who can, to stay longer in the UK. It isn't as if you'd be sending 7 year-olds home alone, or leaving them in England. I realize for some it may be enough, but not me.

There are so many things to do, places to see. Hints at your interests would be a place to start.
Mar 27th, 2018, 07:23 PM

4 days in Ireland is basically useless IMO. It is fine for Dublin and a bit if the east coast or even Belfast/NI. But to see any of the scenic bits on the west coast you need more time.

Either add days -- or stick to England.
Mar 28th, 2018, 12:27 AM

Manchester and Liverpool both have a China town,
https://www.visitliverpool.com/thing...ts-and-culture Liverpool is swamped in art galleries, cathedrals, Museums and of course the Tate
Manchester has a fair few https://theculturetrip.com/europe/un...art-galleries/ plus a very pretty library (go in) all within a short walk of each other. That is apart from the Whitworth which is the city's only world class gallery.

Use the train to get between the cities, seat61.com is the place to start followed by Plan your journey | Traveline for all public transport.
In the UK we use chip and pin technology for card payments and a great deal of contactless paying with cards for sub 30 expenditure. If you can get that sort of technology from your bank before you travel it will be helpful.

You could also look at Chester, Leeds, York as possible days out by train.
Mar 28th, 2018, 01:16 AM

There's nothing wrong with a few days in Dublin, without seeing the rest of Ireland. It's a lovely city with lots to do. Alcohol does however, play a largish part in any visit. Your 17 year old may therefore be a hitch. Liverpool is OK for a day or two too, depending on your interests, but Manchester is a better hub for the surrounding areas for days out, --The Lakes, Peak District, Fylde Coast, North Yorkshire etc. It's also got a better selection of hotels and restaurants.
Mar 28th, 2018, 03:18 PM

You know your schedule with a busy family. Are you flying into Dublin and out of Manchester? I think it would be fun for the girls and would do a Beatles tour for sure in Liverpool. My friends were in Liverpool and saw the Queen herself go by on a Duck boat tour. They have pictures.
Mar 28th, 2018, 03:35 PM

Instead of flying between say Dublin and Liver Puddle consider doing it by train and boat - you can leave Dublin-Ferryport about every hour and be in Liverpool or Manchester between 5-7 hours; check out National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables for fares available for about 40 pounds. Now flying would be quicker but this way, you'll see some of Britain from ground level and can stop off for a few hours in say Conwy, North Wales, a perfectly walled medieval town on the seaside. This involves a fast ferry Dublin-Ferryport to Holyhead then trains to Chester via Conwy, change at Chester (always!) for either Liverpool or Manchester. See www.seat61.com for info on this and British trains.
Mar 28th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

After some research, I am thinking we will fly into Shannon rent a car and leave out of Dublin to Liverpool. While I can't fly direct to Shannon, I think the layover time would probably be equal to the drive time to get there from Dublin.

Thank you for the suggestions. I wish we had more time, but with older teenagers, we have school finals, summer jobs and a family member getting married back in ORD. The goal is family time... the sights are a bonus!
Mar 29th, 2018, 01:20 AM

I'm Liverpool born and bred and have lived here all my life so feel free to contact me for ideas In the city centre, we have a beautiful library, several art galleries and two museums, one dedicated to Liverpool history and one to world history, which is hosting the Terracotta Warriers from China until October 2018. We have a fantastic Chinatown and Chinese arch and a stunning waterfront. Also, the Victoria Gallery and Museum in Liverpool University in the north end of the city centre is tiny but has some interesting exhibitions - currently, they exhibiting the 2000 year old head of Augustus from Meroe in Sudan.

There are several theatres and cinemas and a wide range of bars, restaurants, clubs and shops. We have some beautiful parks and beaches and Anthony Gormleys In Another Place is a permanent art installation at Crosby beach, north of the city centre. We are 45 minutes away from Manchester and an hour from the beautiful north Wales coast (visit Anglesey if you can) and the south part of the Lake District.
Mar 29th, 2018, 12:15 PM

Dublin is a third-rate (and ugly) alter ego of Liverpool, unless you've got some very specific needs (like genealogy) or a taste for that obsessive nationalist propaganda the Southern Irish endlessly feast themselves on. Rural Ireland, though, is a joy.

Spend a couple of days on the coast near Shannon or Cork, then do your city stuff in England. Liverpool's museums and art galleries are indeed the best in these islands outside London: though Edinburgh might give it a run, nowhere else does. It beats the bejayzus out of Dublin on pubs (and on what hey call craic over there, but in Liverpool we call normal conversation) - and its food has improved so much lately the running joke is that in Shanghai (whose waterfront was modelled on Liverpool's) there's loads of empty places in nearby restaurants, but you've got to book well ahead for a table near the Liverpool real thing. Liverpool also probably matches Shanghai for the extraordinarily dense amount of great Victorian architecture in its central core. Liverpool's also where, uniquely in Britain, the local Chinese dialect is Shanghainese rather than the normal British Cantonese.

Liverpool's still one of Britain's great music centres, with a significant musical life in classical music, modern pop and ecclesiastical music.

Manchester's OK too - though it'd be even better if it were further away

I'm confused about your travel plans. If you can't fly from your home to Shannon, personally I wouldn't bother with Ireland unless you've got some specific reason for going there. The fastest way from most places in the US to Liverpool is a direct flight to Manchester, or an Aer Lingus flight to Dublin, connecting to an Aer Lingus flight to Manchester, then on by train direct from Manchester airport. I'd concentrate my urban jollies n Liverpool/Manchester, then my rural stuff in North Wales.
Mar 30th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

We have 3 full days (this does not include our arrival day) to explore somewhere before my wife has to attend a conference in Liverpool. My daughter's would like to explore Ireland. I'm open to Ireland but would also consider Scotland. When she begins her conference, my daughters and I will have 4 full days to explore areas outside of Liverpool. We've never been to this part of Europe and have never vacationed in Europe for so short a time.
Mar 30th, 2018, 07:06 AM

Forget Scotland -would take a day to get there all told from Dublin and then another down to Liverpool.

Consider driving via North Wales to Liverpool and stopping off there for a few days.

If Scotland fly into Edinburgh not Dublin.

If not Ireland fly into Liverpool.