Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

a question for those who live in paris or who have been there recently

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 01:53 PM
xxx

hi
is C & A, the chain which has a store on boulevard haussman and in rue rivoli closed? i just heard a rumor and i want to check. i can't seem to find it in pagesjaunes.fr also.
thanx.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 03:24 PM
anne

As far as I could tell last week (walked by C&A but didn't go in) it's open. Also there was a lot of metro billboard advertising by C&A that was recent; hope that helps.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 01:32 AM
Kavey

The rumour may have been referring to the recent closure of C & A in the UK... the whole chain folded.

If the Paris one stayed open it must be running as a seperate business now, and I would wonder where it is sourcing its stock now the UK company is closed...

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 02:02 AM
s.fowler

It was my understanding that C&A was a Dutch company [C........ & Appeldorn??]-- which would leave its closure in the UK, in a similar relationship to the attempted Marks & Spencer closures in Europe. If I remember correctly in Paris C&A and M&S are very near each other.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:16 AM
s.fowler

Okay -- here's the "poop" fromt heir own website. They are a Dutch concern. And the C&A are Clemens and August.
---------
C&A is a leading European fashion retailer. Early members of the Brenninkmeijer family were linen and textile traders in the 17th century but the story of success began 200 years later when the brothers Clemens and August (hence C&A) left their home in Mettingen, Germany and opened a warehouse in Sneek, Holland in 1841.

The first real C&A shop they opened in 1861 was a great success. It was one of the first to make good ready-to-wear clothes available to ordinary people at an affordable price. By 1910 C&A had established a large chain of shops throughout Holland. Expansion abroad was the next step. Other family members founded C&A companies in Germany in 1911 and in England in 1922.

Their website is at: http://www.c-and-a.com/