Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A question for Swiss people or lovers of Switzerland.

Aug 13th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

This is the challenge: A year ago my wife and I stayed for three nights at the Hotel Trois Couronnes in Vevey, to celebrate her birthday. This was a lovely stay (thank you Swandav 2000 and Suze) and we had a lot of fun. Now I would like to go back to the same area. (Genève, Lausanne, Montreux) and have an equally lovely stay at another hotel, and I think in another town. Does anyone have any suggestions? Since it’s totally beside the point and politically incorrect, and since I love jokes and have already used the words Swiss and lovers in the same sentence, I thought I’d add a joke.
Heaven is a place with English policemen, German auto mechanics, French cooks, Italian lovers and the Swiss to organize it.
Whereas hell, on the other hand is a place with German policemen, French auto mechanics, English cooks, Swiss lovers and the Italians to organize it.
I told this joke to a German once and he actually laughed and shared one with me, so maybe it’s not all bad. Maybe it was the beer.
Anyway, I feel my wife and I had a slice of heaven for a few days in Vevey, and I’d like to repeat it, if it’s possible.
Aug 13th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Hi oliverg,

So happy you enjoyed Vevey; Lake Geneva remains one of my favorite places!

Well, there are two five-star hotels in Montreux, the Royal Plaza and the Montreux Palace (the latter is now a part of the Fairmont group).

I stayed at the RP when it was part of the Intercontinental group, and when I got a great discount! I love its location; it sits right on the lakeside promenade in a quiet corner near the Stravinsky auditorium. The rooms with a lakeside view are divine. I still try to get to its lakeside cafe on my first day in town to enjoy a "coupe de champagne" and some cake -- with those views!

I don't much care for the Palace because it doesn't sit right on the lake; it sits across the street (a very busy street). I also don't care much for the modern decor I see in the photos of the rooms.

Not sure what would make a stay lovely -- do you want great service, great views, plush comfort?

You may want to consider the 4-star Ermitage, which is really a reknown restaurant with seven rooms above:

http://www.ermitage-montreux.com/en/index.php

It also sits right on the lake. However, its rooms are not even close to plush.

A favorite of mine is the Eden Palace au Lac, and I've stayed there two times (both times before they added that "Palace" to their name). I love its location right in the center of town and right on the lake; however, its service isn't the best, and its restaurant also isn't great. Its decor is ok but not terrific.

Well, have fun as you research!

s
Aug 13th, 2010, 06:46 AM

I can only recommend a place I have stayed in Lausanne at this point (and will be there again at the first of next month) and that is the Beau Rivage Palace hotel. Some others have recommended (to me) the Lausanne Palace and Spa but I have never stayed there.

The Beau might be similar to the Three Crowns but I can say that the city of Lausanne is definitely not quite the same ambience you found in Vevey or even in Montreux and I like both of those places a good deal.

Anyway, you can check out the Beau's website www.brp.ch and see what you think. We've had nothing but excellent service there; we enjoy the indoor/outdoor combo pool and the location pretty much right on the lakeshore...and the staff has always been wonderfully polite and helpful.

Have a great trip no matter where you finally decide to stay...as you know that whole area can be truly wonderful.
Aug 14th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Swandav2000. A friend in need as always. I guess it may be Montreux this year. Possibly Eden Palace or Royal Plaza. I’d like to repeat what we did last year, rent bikes, take a funicular up in the mountains, if there is one, and ride down through the vineyards. So I’m doing some research. I'm a little concerned about the level of service though. I sent them both e-mails with enquiries, and so far I've received no answer, which is a bit unusual. So we'll see.
And thanks, Dukey. I totally agree with you regarding location. I looked into BRP seriously but dropped it because of that.
Aug 14th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

To Swandav2000. I thought I’d add two words about what I’m looking for, since you asked. I’m looking for a well-rounded feeling as you can get when you’ve had a good deal, everything in its’ place, and you’re not paying through your nose exactly, and you’re getting a series of experiences which come close to a circle of perfection. In Vevey it was the Trois Couronnes, the funicular ride up and bike ride down the mountain, stopping and having a good meal in one of the villages on the way and watching a harvest feast and then the colours of the vineyards in the autumn as we rode further down, having a meal at a Lebanese restaurant in town later and some amusing happenings at the “hostellerie de Geneve”. The general atmosphere in Vevey. Maybe I’ve become too philosophical now but it’s something I think about: how to make a journey and a day really happy. It gives me a well-rounded feeling when it occurs.
Aug 14th, 2010, 04:31 AM

Hi again,

What a delightful description; I can certainly see why you are looking forward to a return visit.

There are quite a lot of great bike rides in the area, but in Montreux taking the funicular up to Glion and riding down wouldn't be great -- it's a major road with a lot of traffic. Ah well.

But actually, there is a great hotel in Glion, the hills overlooking Montreux. It's a four-star, the Hotel Victoria, and I've stayed there four times. It's now a member of the Relais & Chateau group. I love its location over the lake with views to France, and even when I'm not staying there, I usually go for a drink or dinner on their terrace. Their service is beyond perfect, and their decor is authentic and warm. The current owner was its manager for many years before he/his family bought it.

Website is at:
www.victoria-glion.ch

I stopped going to the hotel because I so prefer to be right on the lake. You get to Glion two ways: funicular from Territet, or train from Montreux.

Last year, I found an apartment right in Territet, and I'm going back there for two weeks this Oct. I'll keep going back to this apartment as often as the owner allows!!

I hope you find something great!

s
Aug 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Just FYI, here's a link to my review of the hotel (from 1995) that has some more details:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT
Aug 15th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Swandav. Very kind. I'll have a look at different options.