Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A question about Blackpool. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-question-about-blackpool-718428/)

rogerdodger Jul 5th, 2007 07:24 AM

A question about Blackpool.

Will anything be going on during the day in mid-winter? I am thinking of arriving by train at Blackpool north, spend 2 to 3 hours looking around and then off by train to my B&B in Skipton. Last year, just for fun, I took the train to Cleethorpes from York and the town looked liked it had been closed up. What this be the same for Blackpool?

Alec Jul 5th, 2007 07:37 AM

After the end of the Illuminations in early November, most tourist establishments on the Prom close up for the season, except for some activity during school holidays (Christmas/New Year) and half term (mid-Feb). I often prefer the winter time (I live nearby), esp the coastal walk along North Shore towards Bispham, and if the weather is fine, you get a view of Isle of Man, Cumbrian hills and Welsh mountains. The town isn't exactly dead - Blackpool has a population of 150,000 and ordinary shops, town cafes and restaurants stay open year round. From Blackpool North, I suggest you either make for the Promenade (about 5 min) and walk north (quieter bit), or walk south past the Tower (usually closed midweek in winter) and the Central Pier (ditto). Or you can ride the tram (running continuously since 1880s) as far north as Fleetwood. The section south of North Pier is expected to be closed for repairs after the next Illuminations.

flanneruk Jul 5th, 2007 07:40 AM

Define "midwinter"

The Pleasure Beach (a kind of tacky theme park, not a beach) doesn't close till November, and is open most of January.

Yates' Wine Lodges used to be seriously tacky all year round (Australian whites at two bob a schooner), though I suspect they've gone all respectable these days. And the trams go.

Check whether you're there when the Lights are on. You can overnight in a pretty hill town anywhere: Blackpool nights during the Illuminations reach a level of schlock that makes Las Vegas look tasteful.

rogerdodger Jul 5th, 2007 07:50 AM

It will be after school break in Feburary, most likely a Wednesday in mid-month. When is the school term over? I can come either before or after. Thanks for the information.

PalenQ Jul 5th, 2007 07:56 AM

Blackpool's Schlock is why it's my favorite British place to go - maybe not in dead of winter when only old pensioners are holed up here it seems but especially during the Lights - yes Schlocky but tripping the lights fantastic all along a several-mile stretch of boardwalk - even some trams are all decked out in Christmas lights and themes.

Blackpool at any time of year is something special - something you'll see no where else in Britain - all other seaside resorts like this have faded, been Yuppified or been turned into old age pensioners ghettos.