Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A post can be "directed" to every "country forum" on this board, by holding down the shift key (I think)...

Search

A post can be "directed" to every "country forum" on this board, by holding down the shift key (I think)...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:56 AM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That way, you are &quot;selecting&quot; <i><b>every</b></i> country when you post your new message.

This came up on a thread about posting a message to the &quot;Russia forum&quot; - - and expressing annoyance that there are posts ther that have nothing to do with the specified country.

I say that it is because people who post new messages select ALL countries, or the wrong country, or too many countries... which Fodors cannot control. Others suggested that it is somehow a software glitch.

This post is a test of the former explanation.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM
rex
Original Poster

Yes, this thread has been posted on &quot;the Albania forum&quot;, &quot;the Andorra forum&quot;, etc...
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Rex - I had always assumed the same thing was accomplished by selecting general interest - that the thread would appear in every country's forum. Does anyone know if that's the case? If not, then where do general interest items appear - JUST in the overall Europe list? Is that right?
Karen
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM

I wonder how this is all related to the Search function. I posted something on a thread the other day, and wanted to find it, so I Searched on my name. That particular thread did not come up, though others containing my postings did come up.
I tried a Search,by the country, then by General Interest. Nothing.
Only when I clicked on my name did that particular thread come up.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM
rex
Original Poster

&lt;&lt;JUST in the overall Europe list? Is that right?&gt;&gt;

I believe that this is correct. It's the &quot;repository&quot; for posts (just like this one) that shouldn't/don't need to &quot;clutter up&quot; the individual (&quot;forum&quot selections of any particular country.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM

I think all posts to Europe show up in the Europe forum. Russia or Latvia are indicated for search purposes only. A post will show up under the Russian search only if the person selected Russia.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:55 AM

ok, silly non-Fodors related geography question...I know Fodors includes Russia in Europe as the posters are probably more likely to get info here than in Asia, but looking at maps, I thought Russia is technically part of the continent of Asia...is that still correct....I also hear the term 'Eurasia' but it's not one of the 7 continents...
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:22 PM
rex
Original Poster

Russia is found on both the Europe and Asia forum pages (rightly so).

Europe and Asia (all the continents, I guess) are <i><b>geographer's</b></i> terms, and theu reflect the fact that geography is a SOCIAL science, encompassing not only location on the globe and geology of land masses, but culture and other human-oriented fields of study.

Eurasia, I believe is a <i><b>geologist's</b></i> term, just as are Pangaea, Laurasia and Gondwanaland - - see http://pubs.usgs.gov/publications/text/historical.html for more details on these geologic structures.

The division between Europe and Asia, (especially in the south, in the former Soviet Union) is one of those fuzzy and arbitrarily defined things, I think. Does any one know anything about the &quot;border&quot; between Russia and Kazakhstan on the Caspian Sea? Is there a point on the shoreline where you could stand with one foot &quot;in Europe&quot;, and the other &quot;in Asia&quot;?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM

thanks Rex ! I assumed alot changed since the early 80's when we studied in school before the country separated, etc....