A pictorial trip report - "Solo in Paris"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my first big, overseas solo trip. I had taken a few solo trips out to the B.C. Coast in the years since my husband died. But never overseas. I did have some nerves beforehand, and almost cancelled at one point, but happy to report that all went off without a hitch.I flew from Calgary, AB direct overnight on Westjet on one of their new 787 Dreamliners. I splurged on Premium Economy, and I must say, it was totally worth it. I didn't get much sleep, just a couple of short cat naps. I think I was just too nervous/excited.

So, needless to say I was pretty much a zombie my first day in Paris.I don't think I will really do a day by day report. I have been to Paris before, so I didn't do a lot of the big tourist attractions. Although there were a couple of museums I wanted to visit, I just wanted to wander and experience being back in Paris. And I also wanted to return to Giverny.

I will show you my trip in pictures, as I love photography, and took lots of them.I chose an apartment in the 6th, near the river. On previous trips we had stayed a lot further out (Batignolles and St. Mande), but for this trip I wanted to be in the centre. It was a new listing from "Vacations in Paris". They were easy to deal with. I had to pay a $300 deposit up front, and the rest 60 days before the trip. Since it was a new listing for them, it didn't have any reviews, but it ticked all the boxes I was looking for, so I took my chances. I never rent apartments without reviews, by the way. It turned OK. Not Bad. Not great. Just OK. The apartment itself had a couple of deficiencies, and the street was noisy. There was a bar downstairs, and most nights (until the early morning) there was a lot of noise from people. Like my Dad says "Alcohol makes people deaf."

So, on with my report. Scenes from around my neighbourhood.

My apartment was on the same Passage as Le Procope.

Well, that is really big! I am going to post this now, and go and try to figure out how to make them smaller.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That size is fine. We don't have to squint to see it.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
That size is fine. We don't have to squint to see it.
Thanks Kerouac. On my desk top computer it looked huge, but now looking at it on my laptop it looks fine, so I will carry on.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

The view from my window.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:12 AM

You are so brave to take your first overseas trip solo. You will inspire many other solo travelers who may not be as adventurous like you.
But it is encouraging to see you did amazingly well. Your photos will help me relive my many trips to Paris.
Looking forward to more. Share some shopping experience too, as that is always a great Parisian activity.
Have a great day.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 12:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Vacations in Paris, did you get Joseph as your greeter by any chance? He was horrid and VIP id off my list now. They apologized but not sure if they addressed the issue. He was running a side business and caught him. It was not pleasant and the NJ office or owners didn't know. I have rented before with them and no problem.
You are brave and look forward to your report. I think solo would be fun in many ways.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ileen
You are so brave to take your first overseas trip solo. You will inspire many other solo travelers who may not be as adventurous like you.
But it is encouraging to see you did amazingly well. Your photos will help me relive my many trips to Paris.
Looking forward to more. Share some shopping experience too, as that is always a great Parisian activity.
Have a great day.
Thanks ileen, if I can inspire someone to spread their wings and take a solo trip, that would be great! There are pros and cons, of course, but overall, I have come to prefer solo travel. No-one to answer to but myself. I can take as long as I like doing things, and skip things that don't interest me. One of which is shopping, so no shopping experiences to relate, sorry.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Macross
Vacations in Paris, did you get Joseph as your greeter by any chance? He was horrid and VIP id off my list now. They apologized but not sure if they addressed the issue. He was running a side business and caught him. It was not pleasant and the NJ office or owners didn't know. I have rented before with them and no problem.
You are brave and look forward to your report. I think solo would be fun in many ways.
No, it was the lady that owned the apartment that greeted me, and she was very nice and explained everything in great detail.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by pgtraveler
No, it was the lady that owned the apartment that greeted me, and she was very nice and explained everything in great detail.
That was great to hear, so hoping they got rid of him. My other VIP was with a wonderful lady. She lived on the ground floor, her adult sons lived on the 1st and she rented out the second floor. We loved it but in the 14th. It was a last minute trip so we were happy.

I like to shop but just for certain items and I am a quick shopper. Museum shops are my fav.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 02:16 PM

A friend had a terrible experience with a greeter named Joseph a few years ago. She has not rented from that agency (not Vacation in Paris) again. Wonder if it is the same guy.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 03:29 PM

Judy, could be. He manages a lot of the rentals in Paris.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 03:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pgtraveler
Thanks ileen, if I can inspire someone to spread their wings and take a solo trip, that would be great! There are pros and cons, of course, but overall, I have come to prefer solo travel. No-one to answer to but myself. I can take as long as I like doing things, and skip things that don't interest me. One of which is shopping, so no shopping experiences to relate, sorry.
Beautiful photos!

And I agree! I do like to travel with others but I LOVE traveling solo. My first non-work "big" solo trip was Christmas in Paris a few years ago. A friend wanted to go but a fall trip was so awful (with another person) that I changed plans and told the Paris person that this trip needed to be a solo trip. I was "skipping Christmas" that year and needed alone time. It was a fabulous trip and a magical time in Paris. I still travel wtih friends/ family but especially when I have limited time LOVE going solo so I can fit more things in.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. 📸

Thin,aristocrat 🔊
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 06:29 AM

Very nice!

More please!
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 07:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I learned at age 17 that you can't count on other people for a trip. Since I really wanted to travel, I struck out alone. And I would say that 80-90% of my trips since then have been solo. The down side is when you see something that you would have loved to share and there is nobody with you, but the up side is never having to negotiate about where to go, what to see, when to start, when to eat, how to travel and everything else.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 04:00 PM

Pgtraveler, thanks for your pictorial report! Am really enjoying it.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 02:05 AM

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures pgtraveler, so glad you decided to spread your wings, surely the first of many such to come...

My sister and I always debate solo travel, she’s done it a couple of times in the past year and thoroughly enjoyed herself. But I’m a little reluctant, I want someone to share my experiences and partake of my pleasure in discovering new experiences...
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Loving this report. I've done my share of solo travel and enjoyed it immensely, but mostly because it was because I specifically did NOT have to share it with a certain someone.

These days my DH and I always travel together. But there aren't any negotiating issues about where to go and when, what to see, when to eat, how to travel, or anything like that. We're always on the same page, and flexible, so no reason for negotiations. I'm the tour guide and planner; he comes along for the ride. If he has particular wishes, we fit them into the plan. If one of us wants to take some time off, the other goes off alone to explore. It's really pretty simple. And a few of our pre-planned things get tossed out at the last moment when we get sidetracked by some interesting diversion, and those diversions are always mutually appealing ones. Works for us.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 06:58 AM

StCirq, this is very much the case with DH and myself, we have very similar interests when it comes to travelling. I travel quite often with my sister and it’s the same with her too. I particularly enjoy relaxing at the end of the day and talking about what we saw and did, adds to the whole experience!
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

I thought I would mention a bit about the phone plan I got for this trip. I have a terrible sense of direction, so I wanted to make sure that I had Google maps and Uber available. I live in Canada, so I purchase a cheap unlocked phone from Staples.ca before I left. Then when I got to Paris I got the Orange Holiday sim card. This gave me a ton of data, as well as some phone and texting. Can't remember exactly as I didn't use that part much. I landed in Terminal One, and there was an Orange kiosk just as you were leaving the luggage claim area. I handed the nice young man my phone, told him what I wanted, and he installed it and made sure it was all working. Took maybe ten minutes. So, before I left the airport I had a working cell phone with a French phone number. I hope this helps someone in the future."
lF

I got a two day pass for the batobus, and I enjoyed riding up and down the river on it. And while it wasn't the most efficient way to get around, it was very nice and relaxing, and I wasn't in any hurry.Up near the Jardin des Plantes stop there were a couple of places where people were dancing along the banks of the Seine. That was cool, and totally unexpected.

I took the batobus to the Musee D'Orsay. Due to jetlag, I slept in that day and didn't get there very early. I had an advance ticket, so I didn't have to wait in line, but it was quite busy. Had lunch in the cafe. There were two very interesting ladies there with shaved heads, overdone makeup and matching outfits (including fur coats). I wanted to get their picture, but didn't want to be rude.

I mainly wanted to see the Impressionists, so after lunch I went right there. After that I wandered around a bit, and people watched.

After the Musee D'Orsay I wanted to go to the Eiffel Tower. I got talked into taking one of those bicycle taxis. Well, it turns out there was a protest that day, and they guy took me right by it!

Protest! I heard later that the firefighters were protesting something.

These two little guys walking along with their umbrellas were so cute!

Last edited by pgtraveler; Nov 13th, 2019 at 02:53 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -