A Paris dress question I didn't think I'd be asking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The background: Husband and I plan a special trip to Paris (our first) in late September. We enjoy nice meals and are planning a few, yet don't really want to spend 400 euros for dinner so are compromising by going to, for example, the prix fixe lunch at Taillevent.

The set-up: Mother-in-law is European, spends most of the year over there, and has been to Paris numerous times. She unexpectedly purchases a dress for me (see link below if you'd like) and states that I can wear it in Paris at above-referenced lunch, or other nice meals.

Miscellaneous: I love the dress, so that's not an issue. If it matters, the dress is size 6P and is going to the tailor to be taken in slightly.

The question: Is she correct? What about a nice jazz club? Any other places?

Thank you!!

http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonlin...B658E7&h=P
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM

Is it order for a man to comment?

Chances are that if you love it and feel good in it then it will look right almost anywhere you might think of wearing it.

To my eye, it looks appropriate from just above casual up to a good degree of formality. A certain amount depends on how you accessorise it.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:49 AM

It seems to be a nice, classic cut that you can dress up or down according to the occasion. It will be just fine. And you love it, so that's the most important thing.

Remember, weather in late September is changeable. You might want to bring along a little cardigan or bolero, or perhaps a shawl.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Weird - I just bought that same dress (in the mint color). I actually prefer the azalea but they didn't have my size in my local Talbot's.

It would be perfect for your special nights - maybe get a light cashmere cargigan or pashmina that coordinates to wear in the evenings.

Me <u>personally</u> probably would not take it simply because of the of the way I pack. (I don't check luggage and for dressy tend to take black slacks I can mix/match w/ everything else). But If I were taking a full sized suitcase - sure.

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:18 AM

I think that dress will be very nice for Paris- and what a thoughtful mother-in-law to buy it for you.

And oh, is it all right if I hate you for needing to have a size 6P taken in!

amp;- Color me green, with envy!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Wow cthoops

What a fab dress, I love it in the mint colour, my mother in law would never buy anything as amazing as that! I would keep that dress for Dinner! or maybe a nice lunch, but for casual strolling and sight seeing during the day, jeans are fine. ( when you've returned from Paris, could you send that dress to me please)
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:19 AM
ira

Hi CT,

Trust your MIL.

Please, in future when you have a long URL copy it to www.tinyurl.com and post the short URL here.

As you can see, long URLs mess up the formatting.

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:38 AM

cute cute cute. Lucky you size 6.
Wear a pashmina as noted yes.
Hand in the shower when you arrive with steam only as the duponi may mark if wet!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:40 AM

oops I meant hang not hand.
Steam up FIRST then shut off shower and bring dress in to the bathroom a for a short while only to loosen any wrinkles....tug gently to help this.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Just curious Ira, what didyou mean about messing up the URL and she should have done something different. I did not see anything messed up.
CThoops---I really love your gorgeous dress. You are so lucky to have a generous, fashion-minded MIL! Enjoy to the max!! I think you could wear it anywhere and look and feel beautiful in it.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM
ira

Hi W,

&gt;Ira, what didyou mean about messing up the URL and she should have done something different.&lt;

The message takes up more than the entire screen because the URL the OP posted is so long.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice &amp; positive comments! I feel quite confident about wearing it now!

Ira - I appreciate the tip re: tinyurl. I thought there was some way to shorten it, but I wasn't sure how.

Amsdon - Excellent tip about not getting it wet, and removing the wrinkles - I had no idea.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not a woman, and the dress looks nice, but I would be so horribly, terribly insulted if my mother-in-law bought a dress for me. The nerve!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Does everyone suppose to hate their MILs?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM

It is definitely a very european dress. Sophisticated, clean simple lines with no fou fou, but nice style and quality fabric - so it can be worn almost anywhere with the right accessories.

(Not good for the beach, a dive bar or a cotillion - but just about anyplace else.)
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM

I certainly don't hate my MIL. I have travelled to Europe at least 4 times with her -- we have a blast.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Yes, absolutely fine for more formal places, smart restaurants. Take a cardigan; late September could be less than warm (although usually still quite nice).
I can't imagine my MIL buying a dress for me either! Lucky you like it.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Absolutely love this dress! Enjoy it and wear it often, I would wear it everywhere!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I'm not sure which colour your mother-in-law bought. The mint colour might be a little pale for your jazz night suggestion in late September. Otherwise, it's fine.

I love how much flexibility women have with their clothes here in Paris. In particular, I enjoy having the option to wear to work something more feminine and flirty than what I'd ever wear in North America. Yesterday, for example, I wore a dark navy suit but with a hot pink silk, low vnecked spaghetti strap top with a bow to a major business conference/meeting. Granted, I wore the top because it was the only thing that matched the suit and that I was actually capable of putting on (with my husband's help), after the accident I had on Saturday (see Friday the 13th weekend trip report to the American Hospital). I was a little worried that I was inappropriately dressed, but I actually got a number of compliments from the French women on my outfit.

At the same time, you also have the option of &quot;smart casual&quot; when you go out for meals, although it's best to avoid an all pastel look. We went for dinner a few weeks ago to a 2* restaurant in La Rochelle, and the women wore everything from suits, to outfits like yours (with a cardigan or shawl) to smart jeans with nice jackets.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Pretty dress. If you're smaller than a 6P, you probably don't need to worry about the gathering at the hips (but many women would). Thanks for the Talbot's link. I've been looking for a pink dress to wear to a family wedding and they had some possibilities. (If my MIL bought a dress for me, I'd be too afraid to open the package.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -