Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A non-ski trip to Europe in Jan 14 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-non-ski-trip-to-europe-in-jan-14-a-995743/)

yildy Oct 22nd, 2013 05:38 AM

A non-ski trip to Europe in Jan 14

Which parts of Europe will be recommend during next January for a non-ski family?

jamikins Oct 22nd, 2013 05:59 AM

This is way to broad of a question.

Where are you considering? How long? What do you want to do?

flpab Oct 22nd, 2013 06:14 AM

Are you going to Austria?

Mimar Oct 22nd, 2013 06:40 AM

How old are the children? What are your interests?

hetismij2 Oct 22nd, 2013 09:07 AM

It would be easier to say which parts of Europe are recommended for a family that skis.
As others have said we need more information.

nytraveler Oct 22nd, 2013 10:14 AM

We are not mind readers.

Please provide at least a littele info:

number and ages of kids
interests (do youwant non-ski winter sports or museums or castles or clog dancing or curling or ????)
how long is the trip
have you bought plane tickets yet?
is Austria a must?

yildy Oct 23rd, 2013 01:50 AM

Hey really thanks to all. Pardon me for being vague and generic. We have traveled Central/Western Europe a lot but never during a heavy snow season. Once had a dangerous and expensive car accident on way to Brienz, CH during a snowfall. So I have that phobia.
So here I go with asked details:
Where are you considering? = Anywhere other than beaches
How long? = at least 3 weeks
What do you want to do? = Enjoy the nature, seek peaceful countryside stays
Are you going to Austria? = Can be but most of Alps and its cities could be difficult to drive due to heavy snow
Number and ages of kids = None (we both are 60+)
Interests = Driving and enjoying nature - just relaxing
How long is the trip = at least 3 weeks (could make 4 as well)

have you bought plane tickets yet? = No but flexible
is Austria a must? = No, I just it as there was no other option.

bilboburgler Oct 23rd, 2013 02:41 AM

Well Barcelona (ok it has a beech but not for January) is where Europeans might go but not for 3 weeks, (long weekend maybe), Malaga and the trio of Granada, Seville, Cordoba makes a bit more sense, but not Madrid as it will be cold.

I tend to go further like Morocco or Egypt and certainly the former still makes a lot of sense. Have a look at the Africa pages. The Canaries are also good but really more beach focused.

jamikins Oct 23rd, 2013 03:58 AM

Countryside and Europe in winter with no skiing? That's a tough call! Most areas. Of countryside will be brown or covered in snow or out of season except ski resorts.

I would head for cities in the winter but for countryside perhaps Greece mainland, Portugal, Southern Spain, maybe the UK but you could get snow.

For the countryside you really lost likely need a car so if you are worried about driving in winter conditions this may not be the best time...

phieaglefan Oct 23rd, 2013 04:08 AM

We were in Seville and surrounds last January. It was a brief trip add-on, but the weather was very pleasant while we were there. We ate outside and did our sightseeing in a light jacket - usually open.

bardo1 Oct 23rd, 2013 04:15 AM

Yeah, I'll add on for Seville and points south. Some nice towns, lots of interesting tourist sites, pleasant outdoor walks and probably the best weather in Europe in January. Some gorgeous drives too but I would not start the car rental until after you've spent 4-5 days in Seville (where you neither need nor want one).

nytraveler Oct 23rd, 2013 10:02 AM

I would head for either southern Spain or possibly Sicily - to have some sizable area of counryside that isn;t likly to be covered by snow and/or ice.

yildy Oct 28th, 2013 01:07 AM

Sorry been out on a trip. Thanks for every opinion and appreciate.