Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Nice Cheap Hotel in Amsterdanm and Paris

Apr 17th, 1999, 11:45 AM
George Thomas

I have been reading numerous travel guides(Fodors Europe etc) and I find the descriptions so so. Can anyone tell me good cheap hotel in Paris and Amsterdamn for a 19 year old American student? I can stay in a hostel but I think I want to opt for hotel this time around.

And does anybody think it is a good idea to bring a tent along with during my backpacking trip. I think it might be great a idea to camp out in certain areas in Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland.

thanks.

Apr 17th, 1999, 01:03 PM
vrangel

Yes, I can suggest 2 hotels in Paris. My friends and I who are 21 just returned from Paris. Two of us stayed at one hotel, the other 3 stayed at another. My friend and I stayed at Hotel Telemaque. For a double it costed 250Francs with a shower, toilet and everything in the room, that's actually a little under $50 a day. That's about as good as it get in Paris. Check out the feedback from people, including my own, on www.hotelboulevard.com, just look under the hotel's name. My friend and I also booked the room through hotel boulevard.
The other hotel that our other 3 friends stayed in was Hotel Celtic, and it was just great they said. It is only a few dollars more, about $5, and it's a little nicer I heard than Hotel Telemaque. But either one is a good choice. Hotel Telemaque is on a much better market street though, which is very lively. Both are very near Metro stops.
We were going to stay in youth hostels too, but the hotels we stayed in seemed to come out the same as staying in a hostel.

Apr 21st, 1999, 01:42 PM
Plato

Hi George,
I recently stayed in Amsterdam @ the Arena Hotel
Gravesandestraat 51
I had a twin-room to my self which cost 312 Guilders for 4 nights.
Lots of younger people.
Great bar & atmosphere

Apr 21st, 1999, 02:29 PM
TM

Hi George:

For an Amsterdam Hotel, try looking at http://www.bookings.nl. That is how I found a special rate. I got a 4 star hotel for 200 NLG in March. You type in when you will be there, the site returns available hotels and will list specials as well. Then I took it upon myself to do a search on that hotel, so I could find an email address or phone to book myself. I told them about the special I saw, and they gave it go me. As for Paris, we stayed at the Grand Hotel Leveque and enjoy it. It was $65 USD a night for a double and bathroom. http://interresa.ca/hotel/leveque/ Good luck and happy travels!

Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:14 AM
George Thomas

thanks guys.