Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   a newbie that had to respond... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-newbie-that-had-to-respond-730858/)

gruezi Aug 21st, 2007 05:23 PM

a newbie that had to respond...

Just found this site 3 nights ago and I guess I'm a little addicted already. Great entertainment and tons of useful information.

I moved from the US to Switzerland in January with my husband (is that a DH?) and 2 teenaged-daughters. Thought this experience would really open our world up. It has, but not always in the ways we expected. OK, lots of people just don't like Americans. We kind of knew that. Most of those finding fault seem to be from the UK, but maybe their just the most vocal. The Swiss I've met are too polite to insult us. And yes, I assumed the French would like us least and was delighted to find I was wrong. We thought the British were our friends:( What have we learned about how others see us? We're fat, consumers, have no culture, are too lazy to learn other languages, can't cook, don't bother to see the rest of the world, don't know what's going in the rest of the world, are too patriotic, fly too many flags etc. etc. and this is before even mentioning GWB and the
WOT...

Some days I feel like an ambassador. Maybe the concern with clothing stems from the desire to make a good impression since apparently we are also really lousy dressers!! I'm tired of defending my country, which frankly, I'm a lot prouder of now than I was before I left it. I didn't even know how great it was until I went to live elsewhere.

I love traveling all over Europe from Zurich. I can get just about anywhere in 2 hours and for a couple hundred dollars of airfare. I've seen such amazing history, art, scenery...and I get more new ideas every time I log on here. I honestly feel a bit like a travel-addict.

I'm duly impressed by the language capabilities of europeans and all their exposure to culture and history. But here I only have to drive one hour to practise my German - some things just aren't possible to do in the US without great expense and we don't get 6 weeks vacation to do it either!!

Our country is huge, young, and - what a lot of non-Americans don't get - extremely diverse even within our individual states.

Maybe as travelers to Europe some of us are ignorant and ask stupid and annoying questions. Maybe as "newbies" to this site we need to be "trained". Maybe as Americans we can learn a lot from those living in the countries we want to go visit.

Please be patient and kind with us!!

Afterall, isn't the whole point of travel to learn, expand, grow and better ourselves? If we're on this site, at least we're trying.

Thanks for all the great info and sharing, and happy journeys... see you on the continent...

StCirq Aug 21st, 2007 05:50 PM

Interesting comments about the Brits. I'd counter with tales of the Brits in the Dordogne who are fat and lazy, haven't bothered to learn a word of the language despite having lived there for a decade or more, operate in cliques that involve cricket and riding clubs, have horrid parties where they serve green jello and bad curries, and generally eschew the culture they have chosen to live in. I know I happen to live near the town in France that has the highest percentage of Brits living there of any in all of France and my experience is not only skewed but colored by my desire to paint a somewhat funny picture, but most of it is true.

gruezi Aug 21st, 2007 05:54 PM

guess I'm really a newbie, wanted to post this to the thread "Questions you don't answer" and did it wrong... can you help?

StCirq Aug 21st, 2007 05:57 PM

Well, you just click on that thread and then click on Post My Reply.

P_M Aug 21st, 2007 06:04 PM

If you click your name you will find all threads you either started or posted to.

gruezi Aug 21st, 2007 06:05 PM

sorry but the thread I was in did not prompt for a reply as this one does...

crefloors Aug 21st, 2007 06:09 PM

If there's no reply, that means the thread has been closed by the editors.

P_M Aug 21st, 2007 06:09 PM

It's possible the thread had been frozen by the editors. Sometimes when threads take an ugly turn the editors will remove the "reply" function so nobody else can post.

Welcome to the board.

robjame Aug 21st, 2007 06:10 PM

I hope all this worry isn't what has kept you up at 3:30 in the morning. LOL

gruezi Aug 21st, 2007 06:10 PM

OK... bet that is what happened and I guess my rant wasn't necessary... thanks for explaining...

gruezi Aug 21st, 2007 06:13 PM

OK, maybe I'm not thick-skinned enough for this... am a newbie, have lots of friends, and perhaps you should read the original thread so what I said will make sense...

gruezi Aug 21st, 2007 06:20 PM

Jetlag...

logos999 Aug 21st, 2007 06:22 PM

This doesn't mean a thing. It's 4.22 am right now, and I'm also posting. Now work tomorrow (=today), that's all ;-)

scatcat Aug 21st, 2007 06:26 PM

Good morning logos!!

logos999 Aug 21st, 2007 06:30 PM

Morning, scatcat. I'm sure I'll be making it until 10am today. Just two more weeks before it's time to go to Japan, and No-Jet-Lag this time! :D :D :D

scatcat Aug 21st, 2007 06:36 PM

Japan!!!! That's great. I've never been, but my son went there about 6 years ago. EXPENSIVE!

robjame Aug 21st, 2007 06:38 PM

logos - who is going to get breakfast for your husband and teenage daughters

grueza - what is WOT?
How do you do those little faces?
January to August - that is some hell of a jetlag. LOL

logos999 Aug 21st, 2007 06:46 PM

>EXPENSIVE
Not really, I stocked up on Yen some time ago, when it was close to the all time low. ;-) Found a lot of nice $50 places to stay.
>robjame
This time, they'll go to school without any breakfast. Am I a bad mom? :D. My husbands's going to kick some amer... ass anyway today. That will keep him happy. :D. :D

scatcat Aug 21st, 2007 06:49 PM

logos...I don't know why I thought you were a male.

Is it cool in Munich right now. Cause it's hot in Texas.

logos999 Aug 21st, 2007 06:52 PM

Well, I believe, I'm male, just let me check once more ;-)....
I have the window open, it's about 13C, still dark, but the first morning traffic starts.