Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A new Travel Book worth reading (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-new-travel-book-worth-reading-1712088/)

zebec Jan 5th, 2023 09:37 AM

A new Travel Book worth reading

Rick Steves' right-hand man has just published a memoir called The Temporary European. Cameron Hewitt is the travel writer in question and he takes readers across Europe, going beyond his original area of specialty, Eastern Europe. His description of the 'mixed blessing' of tourism is as good as it gets, in this case using Dubrovnik plus Split as his examples. One notices the influence that his boss/mentor RS has had on Hewitt's writing and general approach to travel.

Wonder whether Hewitt ever lurks or posts here? Or does Rick ever do the same? *back on Lonely Planet's old Thorn Tree, some of us were convinced that Anthony Bourdain was a semi-regular visitor. One particular poster there seemed to have a lot in common with Bourdain, both style-wise and opinion-wise.
I am done. the pages

annw Jan 5th, 2023 10:01 AM

Thanks for the alert.
Definitely sounds like RS philosophy; he's a long-time collaborator so no surprise there; sounds like a good writer too.

Coquelicot Jan 5th, 2023 10:43 AM

I've read some of his articles on the RS website and he is indeed a good writer. Thanks for the tip, zebec.

KarenWoo Jan 5th, 2023 12:09 PM

Thanks for the tip! Sounds very interesting!

Dayenu Jan 5th, 2023 12:17 PM

This was the book I started but couldn't finish. It was all: me, me, me!

amyb Jan 5th, 2023 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dayenu (Post 17426735)
This was the book I started but couldn't finish. It was all: me, me, me!

Is that not how a memoir works?

travlsolo2 Jan 5th, 2023 02:46 PM

I just finished the book, and enjoyed it. I even underlined parts, for when I reread it.
I've always liked the Rick Steves travel philosophy, and that's how I learned to travel 20+ years ago.

flygirl Jan 6th, 2023 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by amyb (Post 17426739)
Is that not how a memoir works?

hahaha

TPAYT Jan 6th, 2023 12:06 PM

zebec…..Thanks for the book idea.
Just ordered it on Amazon on my Kindle for $1.99

zebec Jan 6th, 2023 02:42 PM

His detailed description of a typical Day in the Life of a Travel Writer Circa 2023 is also quite interesting.
I am done. the wordz

suze Jan 6th, 2023 08:18 PM

Too bad you didn't post this in the Lounge zebec. I never read the Europe forum :-)

zebec Jan 6th, 2023 09:41 PM

A pair of added observations:

-the author was filming a recent update on Romania and became exasperated by the amount of government interference; finally his handlers came clean about the reason. It was because a certain American travel presenter had earlier trashed Romania as 'backward' during his own disastrous 2008 episode filmed throughout that nation. Hewitt discretely avoids naming that fellow American by name, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to guess who.

-Hewitt uses the word 'asshole' numerous times throughout this book, a first for the RS brand if memory serves.

I am done. the Bourdain

bvlenci Jan 7th, 2023 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by TPAYT (Post 17426935)
zebec…..Thanks for the book idea.
Just ordered it on Amazon on my Kindle for $1.99

Are you sure you got the right book? This is "The Temporary European". It costs €12-something here in Europe. There is also 'A Temporary European", which costs a lot less (€2-something).

amyb Jan 7th, 2023 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bvlenci (Post 17427094)
Are you sure you got the right book? This is "The Temporary European". It costs €12-something here in Europe. There is also 'A Temporary European", which costs a lot less (€2-something).

I just picked it up for $1.99 too. It’s a Kindle special here in the US.

zebec Jan 7th, 2023 11:43 AM

Please keep buying it folks. I get .395 cents per sale, as a commission.
Tryna save up for an extended stay at that White Lotus, in their penthouse.
Seems RS throws in a red sparkly armband too. It says MASTER TRAVELER.
I am done. the Hewitt

TPAYT Jan 8th, 2023 04:24 AM

$1.99 on Amazon Kindle…..350 pages

bvlenci Jan 8th, 2023 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by TPAYT (Post 17427478)
https://www.amazon.com/Temporary-Eur...s%2C130&sr=8-1

$1.99 on Amazon Kindle…..350 pages

Too bad, I can't buy Kindle books from the US site. I've downloaded the free sample (of the English language version) from the Italian site , but if I want to buy the whole thing it will cost me €12.74. I wonder how much Zebec gets from that. Express lane to the White Lotus penthouse!