A movie for those that love Paris: Monsieur Ibrahim

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched this movie on the flight to London, so it will be on DVD soon. I highly recommend it for anyone that loves Paris. It is set in the Marais of the early 60s, a small story, but great story, of the affectionate bond that develops between a young Jewish boy and an old Sufi shopkeeper. It is truly delightful and beautifully filmed as a "period piece". Omar Sharif may have lost his stunning good-looks over the years, but he has lost none of his extraordinary charm.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d&n=507846

I traveled to Paris, for the first time, as a teenager in the late 70s. How I wish I could have seen Paris in the late 50s/early 60s; it must have been wonderful! Are any of you willing to share your stories of Paris during this period, or even earlier?

Regards Ger
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:45 PM

This is a film high on my list; I'm glad to know that it's headed soon to DVD.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:57 PM

Wow, and I've missed that! The San Francisco reviews said something different I believe. I'll make sure to see as it still runs in the "theaters" here. Thank you, O'Reilly!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:00 PM

Ah, oui, Paris in the 50's - I remember it well! I'm exaggerating a little, but I do remember it somewhat. I was living in Rome with my parents in 1950-51, and we traveled to Paris on one occasion in the summer of 1951. The Louvre was wonderful, even with no pyramid, and there was no d'Orsay, and no Pompidou. My memories are of being thrilled with stocking up on very small bottles of French perfume on the Champs (I think), taking the train to Versailles, sitting at a cafe (I believe the Cafe de la Paix across from the Opera) and people watching. My most vivid memory, however, is going to the Folies Bergere for my 15th birthday, and my embarrassment at seeing all the beautiful bare-breasted showgirls! I remember there were several American movie stars in the audience that night, and I was awestruck at the whole thing!

The other memory (not of Paris, but of Rome) was of a cute boy in my crowd of military/diplomat kids -who was to become General Norman Schwartzkopf. What fun we all had!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:26 PM

Monsieur Ibrahim is indeed a lovely film. There is a scene set in the Marais (Place des Vosges) but I believe the rest of the movie was shot in Montmartre. Omar Sharif is still sooo charming.
Ginny
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:49 PM

In the early '60's, my family lived in the Netherlands. Friends we had made while both families were living in Athens now lived in Paris and we drove there to visit them often.

Those rides were made torturous by having to share the back seat with my detested younger brother and sister, whose very existence at that time seemed to me an appalling indication that my parents had found me, their first born, to be mystifyingly inadequate in some essential way.

On the return journey to Den Haag, to delay the inevitable back seat mayhem, our car would stop at the first boulangerie encountered.

There, three baguettes still warm from the baker's oven would be purchased, then distributed among the combatants with a warning to expect no quarter should audible hostilities resume.

While we three crunched in a blizzard of crumbs, Dad drove intently through the confusion of Parisian morning traffic. Mom busied herself with writing down, as further warning, the addresses of any orphanages we passed, noting with satisfaction the grimness of each gray facade.

Oddly enough, there seemed to be a lot of orphanages in Paris back then.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM

I sssaw the film and enjoyed it, but it wasn't in the Marais. I don't know where it was actually shot, but it doesn't look at all like the Marais, and it was supposed to be rue Bleue. That was very clear, they showed that a lot in the film. Rue Bleue is in the 9th arrondisement and was an Arab/Algerian section of Paris, from what I read. The 9th arrondisement probably has more synagogues than the Marais, also. A few years ago, there was a fairly wellknown film also set in the area by an Arab immigrant filmmaker (I think he was Parisian, not sure). It's funny. I don't think that film made me think how wonderful that particular area was in the 50s/60s.

I'm actually going to be staying near rue Bleue in July.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:30 PM

Hi Ger, hope you are having a lovely time!
Croque Madame, thanks for the laugh!
Unfortunately, I was too young to enjoy Paris in those days, but I, too, love hearing stories about it.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:24 AM
sandi

Omar Sharif still has much going for him - a wonderful actor. Take him out of that film, wash him, give him a shave and put him in a tuxedo and voila! A handsome and distinguised looking man!

The movie was wonderful - a great period piece, relationships between the young Jewish boy, his father, and Sharif as the Sufi shopkeeper. Their journey to Turkey with the amazing landscape before them. And in the end, "what goes around comes around." This is what movies are supposed to be - offering the movie-goer a view into ourselves. No loud music, shoot-em-up, bang-em-up - though the music of the time was great.

Do see Monsieur Ibrahim when it is available for release on DVD or other.