A month in Portugal - need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, We are four active seniors who are 75 years old looking to spend a month in Portugal next March or April. We need suggestions for a home base (Lisbon?) or two bases (north and south?). We are used to renting apartments on these type of trips. We enjoy relaxed travel, soaking up the local scenery, customs and history. We prefer to limit driving but enjoy trains, buses and local transportation options. So, how can we work this so that we can see a good part of the country? What can we expect from the weather in March and April. Is there any area of the Algarve that is still quaint and not a tourist trap? We so look forward to your recommendations and ideas. malcape
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

WOW. You are very lucky.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM

Welcome aboard. If you've been following the threads here, you will see that no matter where you end up, don't miss out on having dinner with the "Lisbon Dining Club". With that, I will let Lobo and Matt help you with your questions.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM

There are a few very good trip reports with photos here. Look for Bailey's, Isabel's and Dwsnyder's reports.
Make sure you are in Lisbon on 17th March.
Any help, please ask.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM

What's happening in Lisbon on March 17th?
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:39 PM

The biggest LDC get together since Afonso Henriques and the cruzades took the it from the moors.
Check the thread "the Lisbon Dining Club"
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:53 PM

You might want to look at my trip report just to get an idea of what to see. http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34875899

Viana do Castello might be a good base for the Minho area.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 05:09 AM

I would pick 3 base locations to see Portugal:
Cascais[centro]
Viano do Castello[north]
Lagos[south]

I have gone twice that time of year. Take a raincoast.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Hi malcape,

My husband I have traveled from north to south in Portugal, stayed on many occasions just north of Lisbon for his work, and have made a number of trips to the Algarve in January, April-May, and the last two years stayed there in February-March. Loads of hotels and apartments in the Algarve.

One thing to remember if you go in March-April, it is not high season (except for Easter). If you have a choice I’d go to Portugal in April -- the weather is warmer and less unpredictable.

I suggest you have at least two home bases. One in Lisbon and one in the Algarve. They are such distinctly different areas. While distances in Portugal are not that great, you will find this more relaxing. If you plan to go north to the Spanish border, then you may want to stay overnight somewhere.

From Lisbon you can access many of the interesting and beautiful spots: to name a few Cascais, Sintra, Nazare, Fatima, Obidos, Fatima (for religious reasons – quite touristy). I find these are still interesting places to visit. You can also go to off-the-beaten track villages, markets and white villages if you do a little digging. Some places from Lisbon may require an overnight if you want a slower pace, or day trips are available. Lisbon will provide you with lots to do and you should look up the “what to do in and around Lisbon” on this forum. In the Algarve most places are do-able in one day or less. The drive to the Algarve from Lisbon is about 2 hrs, once you get past the horrific city traffic the super highways are excellent at that time of year. We joke “if you can get out of the big roundabout close to the airport.” Standard shift cars are the thing in Portugal so if you need an automatic you will have to pay considerably more and make sure this is recorded on your reservation.

I am the same age as your group and in Canada. The numbers of Canadians to Portugal is increasing. Are you from Toronto? Ontario? Canada? I’m not an expert but I can perhaps answer more of your questions if you want to contact me at kobysurfer at rogers dot com.

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I should have said that May is better than March or April and less unpredictable weather if you can wait.

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM

lilypoo writes: "What's happening in Lisbon on March 17th?"
Aside from the LDC event, you'll find two (2) Irish Pubs in the Caís do Sodré area: Henessey's, I believe the other is McGlahn's or something like that. Henessey's also has a restaurant near the Torre de Bélem (across from Centro Cultural de Bélem). They will likely be celebatting St. Patrick's day, but I don't know of they have anything special planned