Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A month In Italy, but where to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-month-in-italy-but-where-to-stay-656041/)

Pawleys Oct 30th, 2006 11:05 AM

A month In Italy, but where to stay?

I'm planning a long awaited trip to Italy for next October and I'm driving my self crazy trying to decide where to stay. We've been to Italy several times before but, have always spent a day or two here or there. I have decided to take a slower trip this time staying for a week or two in two or three locations. My husband and married children will join me for the third week and my husband will stay on for the final week. The first two weeks I'll have women friends there.
I love the Chianti region and Southern Tuscany; but, would like to be in hiking distance of some little town and be able to get into Florence once a week.
I've gotten catalogues from several agencies; but, that seems to confuse me even more.
Now for the questions: Would it be advisable to stay for a week in Southern Tuscany (i.e. near Montalcino) and then another week in Chianti or are they too close?
I've never stayed near Lucca, is the countryside there as pretty as the two I've mentioned?
Is there another area in Tuscany I should consider?
Thanks so much for any ideas.

Henry Oct 30th, 2006 11:45 AM

Pawleys,
I see no problem staying in southern Tuscany one week and Chianti area another week. Another area to consider is very southern Tuscany near the Umbria, Lazio border. E-mail me and I will send you some ideas.

Henry

sandi_travelnut Oct 30th, 2006 12:16 PM

Rent some videos and buy some guidebooks. Look at maps and get an idea of the distance between things. Think about things you loved on past trips and start making a list of area you missed or want to go back to and spend more time. See if many are in the same area that maybe you can daytrip to. will you have a car or use the train? Either way, group an area together and use one city as home base and train or drive to the others. Then move to another region and do the same..if there are cities in other areas you are wanting to see.

SuQue Oct 30th, 2006 02:10 PM

I loved Lucca but didn't think the surrounding countryside was as pretty as Chianti,Montalcino, or Cortona. There was a lot of industry outside of Lucca.

Pawleys Oct 30th, 2006 04:14 PM

I've seen some attractive properties for Lucca; but, have heard that the area is not as picturesque. Thanks for verifying that.

Dayle Oct 30th, 2006 04:30 PM

Pawleys,

How about a week in Umbria? Just as wonderful as Tuscany (IMO), but not as heavily visited.

Pawleys Oct 30th, 2006 04:46 PM

Dayle, we stayed in Umbria at Villa Monte Solare on our last visit to Italy.
And although I enjoyed several of the towns I LOVE riding through the countryside of Chianti and Southern Tuscany. There seemed to be less industrial growth between the sites.
I've been thinking about a week in Piedmonte though. We've never seen that area and I've read several articles about it. Have you seen the area?