A Month in Italy

Oct 25th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

A Month in Italy

We are considering a month stay in Italy. We have experience in Tuscany as well as the Monaco area. Our preference would be in a hilltop city we would have a car and enjoy staying in one place and having a rental car to travel around as well as access to a train to travel around as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We would be looking at September of 2020.
Oct 25th, 2019, 08:32 PM

How do you define "access to a train"? Within 10 minutes' drive, 30 minutes, an hour?

Would you be doing day trips by train or venturing off for a night or two in another town? I ask because many towns have train service, but unless you make a connection or two your destinations will be limited if you want to return in the same day.

It's not clear whether you want to return to Tuscany. Assuming not, you need to put some thought into what other areas interest you, otherwise the possible recommendations are nearly endless.

https://www.italiarail.com/italy-rail-map
Oct 25th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the questions, we could take the train to another area and stay for a couple of days. We have covered Tuscany so looking at other options. Northern Italy is something we are interested in. A nice hilltop city as well as a train we could drive to 30-45 minutes is workable. Any thoughts about northern Italy?
Oct 25th, 2019, 10:10 PM

Check out Bergamo. It has an airport, train station, bus station. Close to Milan and the lakes.
Oct 25th, 2019, 11:56 PM

Consider Le Marche, named by Lonely Planet as one of the top 10 regions in the world you should visit in 2020.

There is a small international airport in Ancona, served by Lufthansa and several budget airlines. It has direct flights to Munich, London and several other destinations in Europe. There are two train lines, one running north and south along the coast, and one that connects the coast, at Ancona, to Rome.

There are numerous delightful hill towns that would be half an hour from a train station.
Oct 26th, 2019, 05:17 AM

I was about to suggest Bergamo and see that Treesa already did. Great idea. It is a "hill top" town and has good train connections. All of northern Italy - the various lakes, the mountain areas plus much of the Veneto (Verona, Vicenza, Mantua, Cremona, Ferrera, Padua, Treviso, etc.) are pretty close. So is parts of Switzerland. And of course Milan when you want to go into a city. Probably would want an overnight but Genoa, Cique Terra, etc. area not that far.

Here's my Italy photos - https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/f739967755
Oct 29th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Hilltop towns are mostly a feature of Central and Southern Italy and of Sicily. In Northern Italy most towns are on the flat Po Valley or in the valley grounds of the Alps. Bergamo is a good exception.

Orvieto is a great hilltop town in Umbria, worth a couple of days on its own right and quite centrally located for touring southernf Tuscany(I guess you're happy to return if you've been there, no way youve seen everything on a single trip) Umbria, northern Lazio and even Rome is close enough for a daytrip.

Frequent trains to Rome take 1-1,5 hours. trains to Florence take about 2 hours calling at Cortona and Arezzo(juts to mention the interesting stops), for other places you'd better drive.,
Nov 8th, 2019, 09:25 PM

We are also considering a month in Europe for September 2020. In Italy my sister suggested Perugia. She has spent 15 years in Tuscany close to Florence. She thinks many of the towns would be too small for a month but thinks Perugia is charming and a great size. Iím not sure if it is on a hilltop.
Nov 9th, 2019, 01:48 AM

Yes, the historic center of Perugia is on a hilltop. However, there is a fairly large modern city surrounding the old center. Being on a hilltop has disadvantages, of course. In Perugia, there's an escalator to assist pedestrians. Staying in a hilltown with a car means driving up and down those switchback roads every day. We once stayed in the center of Montalcino for four days, and that drive was already getting a bit old.

We live in a hilltown ourselves, but the hill isn't that high, or maybe we're just used to it.
Nov 9th, 2019, 04:26 AM

I'm a big fan of Perugia, but I sure wouldn't want to drive in and out of it on a regular basis. A few years ago I spent 6 weeks in Umbria not far from Perugia and during that period drove in and out of it at least half a dozen times. It got old very quickly - annoying and unnerving.

Does it have to be a hill town? I get the immediate appeal of that, but for a month?
Nov 9th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Further to StCirq's post, I wouldn't limit the search to hill towns. I would find the town that is well located for both train service to other destinations and the sightseeing you want to do locally.

I think the tedium of driving up/down/up/down mentioned by bvlenci and wading through daily traffic in/around a city the size of Perugia would get old fast. It still isn't clear (to me, anyway) what part of "northern Italy" you want to visit.

You might consider 2 weeks in one location and 2 weeks in another for a mix of atmospheres and different locations. A month in one place sounds like a lot of time...