Reload this Page >

A March Tour Of Scotland

Search

A March Tour Of Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:14 PM
Ruth

A March Tour Of Scotland

We will be in Scotland on the 18th of March. We plan on taking a driving tour through the country. Will the weather be too cold to enjoy the sights this time of year? I understand that many of the castles will be closed until April. We wanted to focus on seeing the small villages and the country. Have we picked the wrong time of the year for travel there. WE were in England two years ago and the weather was beautiful.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:13 PM
Linda

Expect cold, rain and/or snow. And the cold will be wet, so it will seem colder. But I never let the weather stop me. Just take warm clothes to layer, a good "brolly" (umbrella, for you non-Brits), and go. And yes, some attractions will be closed until at least April 1st. But there is enough to see and do without them. Just check before you go out of your way to see something.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:58 PM
socold

Just take plenty of warm clothes and an umbrella! We were there in March of last year and had no trouble seeing the sights. Holyrood house and Edinburgh Castle were both open. We weren't able to go any further north, so I can't tell you more than that. Have a great time!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 10:59 PM
Barbara

You might want to keep in mind that there may still be restrictions because of the foot and mouth outbreak. A lot of the places you might think of visiting outside the cities might be closed. I haven't checked recently, but there might be details on the Scottish Tourist Board website which I think is www.visitscotland.com. I hope thing work out OK for your trip.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:53 AM
frank

Some things don't open till Easter.The weather is unpredictable, but will probably be variable - you'll get a mix.Worse than England for the time of year on average, but really anything could happen, good or bad. <BR>March can be windy - bring a scarf & hat.The bigger castles will be open & the ruined ones er, never close! <BR>Foot & mouth won't prevent you seeing castles, prehistoric sites etc. <BR>Some rural events may be cancelled but there are few in March anyway. <BR>The West tends to be warmer but wetter.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:56 AM
Diane

Ruth, I'll be arriving there about a week ahead of you. This is the second time I'll be going to Scotland in March and am not concerned about the weather. It will be cool, but warmer than where I am coming from - Milwaukee. I'll be taking a jacket where I can zip out the lining so I have options. <BR> <BR>Snow in the highlands should pose no problem. I was there once in December and had only two roads we could not travel on but they were very small, off lightly traveled roads. <BR> <BR>Have a great time, Scotland is absolutely beautiful, any time of year.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:19 AM
Sheila

Ruth<BR><BR>as I sit looking out of my window at snowy Christmas card scene (knowing the weather forecast is for "a dramatic change"), I could not predict what the weather will be like in a fortnight. We have had perfect Marches in recent years. Layer; reconcile yourselves to the fact that the big vistor attractions only will be open this side of Easter, and be prepared to walk on beaches or in towns<BR><BR>I think you'll have great time!