Reload this Page >

re-learning some French in two months?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:40 AM
Kristl

I was an average French student in High school and College. I'm leaving for Paris 4/29. What recommendations does anyone have for a crash course in conversational French for someone who knows just enough to be frustrated.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:45 AM
hhouston

Same story for me. Going to France in March. I bought "Learn French in Your Car" CD's at Border's Books and Music. You can also look on the Internet and find other versions. I have been using them for about a month and they really have jogged my memory. They might be a little difficult to catch if someone is new to French.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 11:10 AM
julie

I refreshed with the fodors language help at the bottom of the home page. It has sound. It was a good "free" start.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:10 PM
Carolyn

I share your background in the French language (although "average" may be generous for me). Before my trip to Paris in February I picked up "French for Dummies" from Barnes & Noble. I found it straight-forward and humorous, with chapter titles such as "10 Things NOT to Say". <BR> <BR>Even with my limited vocabulary, I found it easy and fun to communicate.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:28 PM
Lesli

I just reviewed my phrasebook (I like Rick Steves' for its conversational style) while riding public transit to and from work. Also watched several moives in French, to get my ear used to the pronunciation. Was amazed at how much came back to me!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:27 PM
Ger

Kristl: <BR> <BR>Try "Transparent Languages", web site: <BR> <BR>http://www.transparentlanguage.com/sub_products.htm <BR> <BR>I picked them up very cheaply in local technology store (about Can$30 on sale). it is an interactive CD, comes with a microphone and allows one to practice he accent. Limited depth, but great practice. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 08:36 PM
Andrea

I second Lesli's advice of watching a few movies in French to get the rhythm of the language back (in addition to a book or tape). <BR> <BR>I found that the hardest transition from college French to trying to communicate with real, live, French people was the speed at which they speak. Watching movies is a great way to get into the flow of the language. I strongly recommend Nelly et Msr. Arnaud (sp?) - it's a wonderful movie, but the best part is that the female lead has a wonderful voice, and since it's a relatively slow-paced relationship drama, the dialogue doesn't move too quickly. If you even use the movie to pause and repeat like you would with a language cassette (as I did), maybe you can even pick up a bit of her wonderful pronounciation!!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:58 AM
Lori

You will be surprised how easily it all comes back to you. I had taken French in High School (many years ago), and was able to pick up the rhythym (sp) quite quickly. I agree with the above, use the back of any travel book to refresh yourself with the basics and go from there. Have a great time!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:38 AM
Carol

Number one: don't expect too much of yourself when you're there, and don't feel bad when you find yourself reaching for your phrasebook constantly. Number two: never be too embarassed about your awkwardness in the language to try to speak French, but do use common sense (if there are people waiting on line behind you, don't struggle with the language), and if you're not getting through, switch to English. As for preparation: listen, listen, listen--to movies with subtitles, and to language cassettes (which all have dialogues for you to listen to)--and bring a phrasebook with you. I like the pocket Berlitz (which comes with cassettes too), but go to a bookstore and check a few out. You'll have a wonderful time. Bon voyage et bonne chance.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Shanna

Much of what you knew will return if you studied it at a young enough age. In fact, just about the time you leave France, you'll be getting into the swing of it. Keep the tv on while in the room and listen. Movies are good. But let's face it, if you took French in high school AND college, you should be giving us advice! Community colleges often have "kitchen French" classes where you can practice with others. Have fun.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:54 PM
anne

I always begin listening and talking along with language tapes or CD's in my car a few months before a trip. You can learn ALOT in a couple of months! Pimsleurs is designed for audio use, not needing a book. There are other 'Drive and Learn" series too. I just pick one from the library and work with it til I'm ready for another series.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:43 PM
linda

Barron's "French On The Road" set of two tapes and written script was great for me. I listened to it on the way to work. At first I was overwhelmed but with repetition it has become much more comfortable to speak French. I went to Paris last fall and could understand and be understood- people were wonderfully kind. I only had 2 years of HS french- my teacher would be shocked!Practice is the key-say it out loud even if other drivers look at you like you're nuts...

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 10:26 PM
theodora

I used this website to brush up on my French a couple of months ago. "The French Experience" has clips that can get you back into the flow of French speech. It's free and useful. <BR> <BR>http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/langu...ch/index.shtml

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 02:44 AM
jo ann

I picked up "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French on your Own" (looks like the Dummies series) before our 1999 trip and fell in love! Parts were extremely humorous, and it's full of "stories" that bring you in to the language and the culture. The chapters are divided very nicely around situations (checking in to a hotel, etc). Each chapter includes "Cultural Tidbits" which are fascinating (it's where I learned, after 3 prior trips, about the importance of greeting each shopkeeper, for example)and the chapters end with: "The very least you need to know", great summaries. <BR>I carted the book along with us, which came in very very handy when I developed pneumonia while in St Remy de Provence. I ripped out the chapter "Is There a Doctor in the House?" and carried it with me. Even us ex-French majors don't know the words for coughs, breathing difficulties, etc that are necessary when (contrary to what some tourists like to believe) the physician speaks really and truly no English! (Actually, the trip to the doctor's office & seeing how differently it works over there was such a hoot that I almost recommend it!) <BR>I highly recommend you scope out this book!

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:49 AM
clairoobscur

Jo ann, <BR> <BR>"Actually, the trip to the doctor's office & seeing howdifferently it works over there.." <BR> <BR>Could you tell us what are the main differences? Partly out of curiosity, but also because it could be useful for americans in France and for french people in the US...