Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A lovely Hotel for October in Provence!!!!

Aug 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Hello All,

Following much confusion, we have now decided on spending a week in the Vaucluse/Bouch de Rhone area. We are going at the end of September running into October.
In an ideal world we would like to stay somewhere quite nice with a garden and a pool ( i normally swim in lakes here in Ireland in October so should be able to stand chilly water!!) in a town or village with cafes/ restaurants within walking distance, with nice scenery, well located to visit all the sights, do some wine tasting and do some easy hikes. Budget is about €150 per night. We will probably hire a car so would need parking. Not asking for much am I???!!!!! I think we are a little late and may have trouble finding somewhere for the whole week so may have to move about a little.

Your suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated!!
Thanks
Cailin
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Hello Cailin,

My husband and I will be in Provence in mid-October -- first time, and we are very excited.

For lodging options, try going to www.franceby.com and look at the options for Vaucluse/Bouche de Rhone areas. They will have lots of options and price ranges. Franceby.com is part of the worldby.com booking agency.

I used italyby.com when I went to Italy, and I was very pleased with every place we stayed. I used franceby.com to book my lodging in St. Remy, and I am confident that I will be pleased with my choice. Just a place to get you started.

Good luck to you, and enjoy your trip!

Best regards,
Donna
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Wow Dlb that's a great site.. I have had a quick look and it seems like I will definitely find something suitable. thanks a mil!!!!
cailin
Aug 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Have tried one or two places on that site.. they look fab!! But negative responses so far. Will keep trying though. Really hope I will be able to find what i am looking for. Am still a little unsure about best location. So many little villages.. it is confusing.
Thanks

Cailin
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM

We stayed in Pernes les Fontaines last summer at a guesthouse/B&B (www.lelavandinprovence.com)and it is absolutely gorgeous!! We found Pernes to be very central to all the towns/villages that we wanted to visit. We had no problems driving anywhere -- Georgia, the American owner, would map out our route for where we wanted to go each morning and we found the driving very easy. We put many kilometers on our van that week! As you can see from her website, the gardens are gorgeous and probably will be still lovely in late September. The pool is very lovely and relaxing to either swim or sit in one of the chaise lounges.

We also were able to purchase wonderful goodies from the various markets and then dine on the terrace at LeLavandin. I was in Provence in 2002 also in October and it was still quite warm so dining outside could still be possible.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Les Trois Sources in Bonnieux. Divine.
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM

This is the hotel I mentioned as one of my favorites in Provence, which is on the major road just a couple miles from Pernes. It is cheaper than your budget quite a bit, hope that's okay.

http://www.hotel-lhermitage.com/

It really does look like that, and the grounds and pool and gardens are lovely. ASk for a room with a private terrace, I had one and that was really nice to sit outside in the evening and listen to the cicadas. I think most rooms on the second floor have them, but I was on the side facing the road to the hotel that comes in from the main highway.

This is information on the twon itself (which has a population of around 10-12K).http://www.ville-pernes-les-fontaines.fr/

La Dame l'Oie is the best restaurant in town (not a lot of good choices in small towns like that, but a lot of pizza places for some odd reason, I went to Isle-sur-la-Sorgue a couple nights to dine). THis is the website with the best description of it that I could find:
http://www.leclubdesbonsvivants.com/restaurant

Go to the map and click on area 84, which is the Vaucluse.

I think this location is really superior to the other site you chose, for one reason because it's on a main road which will making traveling easy (the D938), whereas Fontaines de Vaucluse is on a smaller, secondary road.
Aug 29th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone for your help. I am so glad you put me straight and gave me pleny of food for thought.We have got a large number of refusals and so we have gone off on a bit of a tangent and decided to divide our time between Bonnieux for hiking and visiting the various villages in the area and soaking up the Luberon and its scenery then moving possibly to St Remy but may consider Avignon for our wining and dining!! Any thoughts.. thanks again for your help- all of the recommended places look so fab. There is just too much choice. I need to go for at least a month!!!
Cailin