A Lot of Questions

Old Jun 9th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Lot of Questions

Hi all. I am flying into Milan in February and staying in Montecatini for 5 nights and then in Milan for 1 night. I am traveling with my 15 year old daughter. We want to see as much as possible in the short time we are there. I plan on spending the day we get there touring Montecatini. I want to take a traing into Florence for a day, Rome for a day and Venice for a day. I know a day in each of those cities is not enough to see everyting, but I am on a limited time schedule. My daughter and I plan on getting up an out by the time the first trains depart. I have a rental car, but from everything I am reading, the train is better. Can anyone give any advie on an possible itinerary? Also, I am a little confused on the trains. Is there a train in the airport in Milan? Are there any other places I should plan on going to? Any advice would be greatly appreciate.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 09:17 AM

yes, there is a train station in the airport to link the airport with central Milan, but it isn't the kind of train station where you can get on and ride all the way to Florence or wherever you want to go.

So you'd take the airport express to Milano Central and then take the train to Montectini, which will involve a transfer in Florence. That trip takes about 3.5 hours or so (I think).
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 10:01 AM

Rome and Venice are too far for day trips from Montecatini. Also, neither city can be seen in a few hours.

See what is in closer vicinity and reachable in a sensible amount of travel time. There are plenty of options in Tuscany.

On the train route from/to Milan you'll pass through Bologna, which is well worth a stopover, by the way.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A day trip from Montecatini to Florence is totally doable - it is a little less than a one hour train ride. But Rome and Venice are just too far and too long a journey to do day trips.

Rome would be more than 6 hours round trip. And Venice would be more than 8 hours JUST for the train rides. If you want to see Rome or Venice -- you need to stay in Rome or Venice at least one night.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 10:53 AM

You need to rethink your total itinerary. Just getting to Montecatini will be a challenge in a jet lagged stupor.
Maybe you should consider Bologna as your base location.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 11:12 AM

>>I plan on spending the day we get there touring Montecatini.<<

I didn't even notice this part. After flying over night and traveling to Montecatini . . . there won't be much day left. You will be jetlagged and you'll have a 4 to 5 hour train ride - then checking in and unpacking . . . the day is about shot.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 11:54 AM

<i>
«I plan on spending the day we get there touring Montecatini.»

I didn't even notice this part. After flying over night and traveling to Montecatini . . . there won't be much day left. You will be jetlagged and you'll have a 4 to 5 hour train ride - then checking in and unpacking . . . the day is about shot.</i>

That's OK, you could see Montecatini Terme in 20 minutes.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:16 PM

I figured -- it just seems the OP assumed they'd have a day to relax and look around -- they'll be lucky to get there by dinner time.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:54 PM

Unless they are landing after 3pm in Milan, they are not going to have any trouble getting to Montecatini Terme by dinnertime, whether they take the train or drive. Dinner isn't until 8pm in Italy. If they get there by 4pm they will have time to see not only Montecatini Terme but also Montecatini Alto before dinner, even after they unpack.

ashults,

Are you traveling on a fixed package deal that includes pre-paid hotel in Montecatini + car rental for 6 days?
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:31 PM

Ashults, I wondered the same thing as Sandralist. I remember seeing a trip like that on Groupon recently.

If you can't extend your trip, don't try to visit Rome and Venice. Just enjoy time in the area where you'll be staying.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:40 PM

>>Dinner isn't until 8pm in Italy. If they get there by 4pm they will have time to see not only Montecatini Terme but also Montecatini Alto before dinner, even after they unpack. <<

Don't be so literal -- I KNOW dinner is late, but by the time they arrive they likely will have been up for going on 30 hours.

I doubt they will be feeling very chipper after an overnight flight and 5 hour train ride . . . was my point.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 03:18 PM

The OP is traveling in February. Sunrise will be at 7:30AM at the beginning of the month and about 7:00AM by the end of the month. Sunset will be at 5:30PM at the beginning of the month and about 6:00PM by the end of the month. This might affect some sightseeing plans depending on your interests.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 06:13 PM

Why you are basing in Montecatini? Does it have special significance for you? You will spend a lot of time commuting back and forth, time you could be spending sightseeing.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. Yes, this is a Groupon. I got a great deal on it so I went with it. I am looking to extend it a bit, but not sure yet. My flight gets in at 9am, so I should have no problems getting there before dinnertime. It is a hotel, car and flight package. I think, for everything I have read, that I will skip the car and just take the train.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Take a look at your hotel's location. You may need the car (or other transportation) to get to the train station.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 06:12 PM

You can't expect to see all of Italy from Montecatini in February. Do like quokka said, use the car and explore around Tuscany. It's a great opportunity; the scenery is beautiful, the fields might be greening up for spring.

Don't drive into Florence, take the train instead. Driving means you have to pay to park and avoid the ZTLs, locals-only parking zones in the center of Florence.

To drive in Italy you need an International Drivers' Permit along with your license. The IDP is easy to get at an AAA/CAA office, about $25 including photo.