Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A londoner discovers a hidden gem in London and wishes to recommend...

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:13 AM
david west

I came accross this place last week. I was completely unaware of it, despite it being quite close to my home.<BR><BR>It is Leighton House, the home of Frederick Lord Leighton a famous vistorian artist (a bit chocolate box for my taste).<BR><BR>However his house is grrrreat. <BR><BR>Here are some pictures etc:<BR><BR>http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/leightonhousemuseum/general/<BR><BR>Its well worth a visit (it's free).<BR><BR>It just goes to show that even a native doesn't know all the good places.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:05 AM
Jc

thank you for the info.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:32 AM
JC

Many Thanks. I have enjoyed the visit very much. The Arab Hall is truly unique.<BR><BR>For garden lovers, don't miss the nearby (5 minutes walk) Kyoto Garden in Holland Park.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Eye Spy

I truly enjoyed visiting another art collection not many tourists visit when they are in London. What's more IT'S COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE! Just off Oxford Street, the Wallace Collection is wonderful. <BR>http://www.the-wallace-collection.org.uk/

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:07 AM
JOdy

We discovered Leighton House this fall and were delighted with it. I just wish the garden had been open to the public ..I really wanted a closer look at the statue there! They were doing some work on the garden the day we were there so that may have been why it was closed&gt; <BR>Was it open when you were there David?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 01:33 PM
david west

The garden wasn't &quot;open&quot; as such but I asked nicely, and as there was just me and I am not an obvious hooligan they let me in.<BR><BR>If in doubt always ask.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:08 AM
jw

Thanks, David, for bringing the Leighton House to our attention.