Bruges Hotels

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruges Hotels

We will be spending two nights in Bruges in August. Can anyone recommend a place on the canal close to all the sights for around 125 Euro? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM

It's not on the canal but it is close to all of the sites (only a couple of blocks from the Markt)-Hotel Patritius. My husband and I stayed there on our honeymoon back in 2010. It is a cross between a bed and breakfast and a hotel and is located in a building that dates from the early 19th century. The rooms were a pleasant size, especially the bathrooms which is always a plus for me when traveling in Europe. A generous continental breakfast spread is included in your room rate.

Just a note that when doing my own research, rooms with a view of the canal were generally higher than the amount you're looking to pay.

If interested, here's a link to a review of our stay at the Hotel Patritius on my travel blog. Good luck with your search!

http://www.theredheadedtraveler.com/...s-belgium.html
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM

We used Priceline for our trip to Brugge a couple of years ago and got the Crowne Plaza for around $100. The room we got was really big, very comfortable, and the hotel was very close to everything. Not on the canal but close. I'm not sure what else comes up on Priceline though.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM

Jayneann,

I stayed at the Hotel Ter Reien in December. When I opened the windows in my room in the morning, I was able to feed ducks as they swam on the canal. You can book a canal facing room on Expedia, in August, for $117 Dollars a night.

The room was okay, but a big disadvantage was the modular bathroom. If you stay in a place built in the 16th/17th century, these small modular units are a way to put "facilities" in every room. It was very small with the smallest shower area I've ever seen. Still, everything was functional and I had a decent shower everyday.

On the bright side, the place has a really good breakfast included in the room price. Another plus was a 5 Euro charge to use the internet for your entire stay. Really cheap when you consider some hotels I stayed in during this trip wanted 22 Euros per night for internet connection. Two other things I really enjoyed were a fine supermarket and laundromat about 200 and 300 yards, respectively, down the same street as the hotel.

Bottom Line: If you can wrap your head around using a small modular bath room, Hotel Ter Reien is a decent choice. It is a good choice if you want ambiance within a finite budget.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM

We liked Hotel Adornes very much. It's on a canal, well located, with extremely nice staff. http://www.adornes.be/page.asp?langue=EN&docid=147948
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:52 PM

Hi,

We stayed at B&B Yasmine, and you can never beat it for cleanliness, best hospitality and close to centre. The B&B was opened about 3 years ago, and the owner is the loveliest, most gracious person you would ever hope to meet. The rooms and bed are most comfortable, showeres modern and brand new, and her breakfasts are delicious, she even makes her own bread and cooked fresh pancakes for us in the morning. Her daughter is an artist, and at the entrance and near the reception, there is a wonderful collection of her work. A canal is only a few metres down the road, and the centre square is just a five minute walk, very close to the new Kempinski Hotel in Bruges. Her prices are extremely reasonalbe, compared to other Bruges accomodation, for the service you get. If you are going by car, she also has her private garage for you to park. Go there, you won't be disappointed. I suggested this B&B to a few others, and they always remarked what a good choice it was.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:54 PM

Forgot to add - she makes the best homemade hot chocolate, and she even welcomed us with tea, hot chocolate and cake when we arrived.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:17 AM

We were very happy with Hotel Aragon a few years ago.

http://www.aragon.be/index.asp?taal=uk
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:33 AM

Here's one hotel whose rates may be in your budget: the Hotel Adornes www.proximedia.com/web/adornes.html. But I'd look for a B&B rather than a hotel. There isn't space in medieval Bruges for big structures. But there are lots of houses along the canals.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM

We also loved Hotel Patritius when we stayed there last summer.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such good information! I will check everything out!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM

I also stayed at Ter Reien and would recommend it. I agree with agedude about the bathrooms. The hotel is on a canal but our room did not have a canal view so be sure to specify if that's a requirement.

The woman at the front desk during my stay didn't have the friendliest disposition but I think I got my advance notice from TA about that. Not that she was rude, but she was content to ignore you and vice versa as paths crossed each day.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! We decided on Trip Advisor's #1 Huis Koning and got a canal view very reasonably priced! I am so excited to be going to Bruge and staying in a B&B on a canal!

Thanks again for all your valuable information!