Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A little guidance for France trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-little-guidance-for-france-trip-605363/)

Lauricelli Apr 5th, 2006 10:46 AM

A little guidance for France trip?

Hi, I'm trying to divide our days on our trip to France in Sept.
We arrive in Paris on the 12th and leave from Nice on the 30th.
How's this?
Paris 12-17th
Strausbourg(Alsace) 18-20th
Provence 21st-26th
Nice 27-30th
I was thinking of doing a day trip from Paris to the Loire. Should we take days off somewhere else and spend a couple of days in the chateau country instead of the day trip?

Thanks a bunch

PalQ Apr 5th, 2006 11:36 AM

Tough question - a day trip could be enough for many to see a chateau - as countryside the Loire is not amongst the best in France - i'd certainly dwell on other places than the Loire - not that Loire is bad but you've got better morsels on your plate. Mini-bus tours from the Tours tourist office opposite the train station take you to a few of the best castles and they are inexpensive (www.acco-dispo.com is one company).

Lauricelli Apr 5th, 2006 11:45 AM

PalQ, thanks for your feedback. That's a good point about the Loire countryside. I'm thinking the Alsace region is going to be stunning at that time of year.

The link you posted didn't work but I've already checked into some tours for the chateaus.
thanks

ira Apr 5th, 2006 11:59 AM

Hi L,

Did you intend to skip the Burgundy wine country (Dijon, Beaune, Macon, etc)?

May I suggest taking a day from Nice and a day or two from Provence to enjoy Burgundy during the grape harvest?

How are you getting to Strasbourg?

((I))

Michael Apr 5th, 2006 12:25 PM

I would leave out Strasbourg on this trip, and rather rent a car for that period of time to see the Loire valley and Burgundy. Do a different side trip from Paris, maybe Rouen, or Troyes, or Fontainebleau. You might want to add a day to the Loire/Burgundy portion by taking one out of Nice. It might be that you will want a car to see the Provence, so a rental for the entire period from Paris to the end of your Provence stay might be worthwhile.

Lauricelli Apr 5th, 2006 12:35 PM

Ok, Strasbourg will be on the agenda because that's the only request my DH has made. I'm not sure if we will take a train from Paris and rent a car there, or rent a car on the way out of Paris.

Adding some days to Burgundy would be ideal. Which area do you suggest staying in on the way to Provence?
We are trying not to stay at too many different places on this trip because we are travelling with a friend who has MS.
Thanks

Michael Apr 5th, 2006 12:59 PM

Get a map, and my photos of Eastern France might help guide you through that area, although major parts of Burgundy are not covered:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34610428

traveller1959 Apr 5th, 2006 01:05 PM

France is a large country and you cannot even attempt to cover all interesting regions in a few days. Save the Loire valley and Burgundy for another trip. Both regions are worth to stay there several days.
Alsace is certainly very interesting. Strasbourg is a fascinating city, but see also Colmar. Drive through the foothills of the Vosges and visit those picturesque wine villages. Drive also the route de Crete over the mountain tops and see the three lakes (lac noir, lac blanc, lac vert). Enjoy the fabouluos Alsatian food and taste the wine!

Robespierre Apr 5th, 2006 01:11 PM

For a view of early 20th-century folly, don't miss the remains of the Maginot Line around Strasbourg.

For late 20th-century folly, see the Titan ICBM museum near Tucson. At least the French are using some of the tunnels to grow truffles...

Neopolitan Apr 5th, 2006 01:12 PM

OK, Lauricelli, I'll play. I think your original itinerary is fantastic. It has good variety, enough time in each spot to get a feel for each (yes three nights in Strausbourg is plenty and a good change), and I wouldn't change a thing.

I'd consider doing a package day trip to the Loire from Paris where you see a couple of the main chateau. I think I've see one which does Chambord, Chenencoux, and the gardens at Villandry. That would be a great package if they still do it.

traveller1959 Apr 5th, 2006 01:17 PM

If you want to see just one splendid chateau you may visit Chantilly or Fontainebleau in the environs of Paris. The special thing about the Loire valley is that there are three dozen chateaux in one area. They have different characters and styles. It is a wonderful experience to stay for three or four days in the Loire valley (why not sleeping in a castle hotel?) and visit many of these chateaux and enjoying the variety. So, a day drip is wasteful. Come again some time.

Underhill Apr 5th, 2006 02:12 PM

Lauricelli,

If you'd like, I'll send you the two articles that I wrote for the BonjourParis newsletter; they cover upper Burgundy. Two to three days would give you a very nice introduction to that beautiful and interesting region.

The Loire valley scenery is rather blah, except for the châteaux and some of the towns. One day would be adequate there, IMO.

On the way south to Provenc/the Côte d'Azur, you might spend one night at the very elegant Château d'Igé; it's a good spot to break the trip. Another night you could stop at Les Hospitaliers, in the perched village of Le Pöet-Laval, which is about 20 minutes from the Autoroute du Soleil and a marvelously atmospheric place to stay with a fine restaurant.

You can reach me at

[email protected]

littlemountain Apr 5th, 2006 05:17 PM

Well, if you already know you'll be staying in Strasbourg, here's a great hotel which blends elements of antiquity and modernity to consider: www.regent-petite-france.com.

I'm not sure I would give Nice 3 whole nights when Provence is getting 6 in total.