A Klimt moves from Vienna to New York

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Klimt moves from Vienna to New York

One of the most famous Klimt paintings is leaving Vienna to take up residence at a NYC gallery:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/19/ar...f4ac7a&ei=5070

The ultimate destination for four other Klimt works remains undecided.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM

I'm torn. Nice to have it in this country and nice to see that at 135 million it's the highest price ever paid for a painting vindicating my personal preference for this artist, but sad to see it leave the Belvedere. Actually I'm far more likely to get to Vienna than to NYC (even though I live in US) and somehow it just seems like it should be with its siblings.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Keep buying all that Estee Lauder and it just might LOL!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the article BTilke. We went to the Belvedere just to see the Klimts, The Kiss, in particular and I'm so glad we did, particularly in light of this recent change. We were also treated to a spectacular view of Vienna from the Belvedere, and I had my first taste of Sacher torte (less spectacular than my anticipation)!

In addition, there was some sort of a military celebration (Saluting the Sergeants or some such thing) going on while we were there, with representatives from many countries, a military band, complete with Shetland pony pulling the big bass drum.

All this and the Klimts too!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:56 AM

I was really surprised to read that the painting had been sold. The former owner has been trying for years to get it back from Austria after it was taken from her family during WW II (along with the other four). I admit to being torn. This one sounds like it has a nice home now, but the others may well end up in private collections where no one will see them, because at that kind of price the number of museums who could afford them is very, very small (the Getty comes to mind, but they're a bit busy with the antiquities trial in Rome). The owner mentions Christie's; at auction they would probably get snapped up by collectors. Witness van Gogh's Portrait of Dr Gachet, bought for an enormous amount of money ($82.5 mil or so) by a Japanese collector, who kept it in a warehouse in Tokyo, then died, and as far as I know the painting is still there. It makes me sad to think that could happen to the other four Klimts, since the family does not plan to actually keep the works. At least this one is in a place where others can see it. I absolutely believe that families with fair claims on artworks taken from them during WW II should get them back...but...

And of course that price now sets the bar higher for paintings by all kinds of artists, so that only private collectors will be able to afford the greatest ones, and the same situation will apply vis-a-vis great works going into private collections.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Did you know that Adele's image has been beautifully screen-printed on the leather of a shoe in the Icon line? She walks everywhere in the world.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM

I am glad the painting has been returned to its rightful owner. It was stolen from the owners by the Nazis & Austria was refusing to give it back. The owner had to file a lawsuit that went all the way to the US Supreme Court for the Austrians to finally pay attention.

Not to worry, I am sure the new owner will be loaning to a museum here in the states for all to enjoy.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM
rex

<< I am sure the new owner will be loaning to a museum here in the states for all to enjoy. >>

Does the Louvre allow Winged Victory to be loaned out?

Mr. Lauder has indicated that this becomes the piece de resistance for his Neue Galerie.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 01:15 PM

LACMA (L.A>) had a wonderful showing this week...we went yesterday evening...all 5 Klimt's were simply beautiful.....the rightful owners have finally been recognized. Benefactor Ronald Lauder is a man of deep integrity who is one of the world's great philanthropists. He will do the Klimts proud.

Stu T.

Can you even begin to imagine the billions in materials, works of art and just plain old money that the Nazi regime pilfered all over Europe? It's so good to see some justice accomplished.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM

It's only going to be a few blocks aways... I can't wait to see it (but WILL until the crowds disperse - The Neue Gallery is small but lovely and the Cafe Sabarsky is a real treat.....especially if you are into whipped cream!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

I'm torn about this as well. I do think that the court made the right decision but...having seen the Klimts at the Belvedere several times, it's a shame that the colleciton is likely to be broken up and possibly end up in the hands of private owners who won't lend them to museums. A loss to art lovers everywhere, not just in Vienna.

When I was in Vienna in March, there was a short, bittersweet video clip about the Klimts that played on the tv screens in the U-bahn. It showed a copy of that particular painting on a kiosk with a nicely dressed middle-aged man walking up to it and making begging, pleading motions. I think the tag line was either "where goes Klimt" or "please stay" or something like that.

The decision will have a widespread impact...think of ALL those Vienna souvenirs of Klimt paintings (posters, scarves, ceramics, purses, even mousepads). Will they still be sold? And what will the Belvedere show in their place?

My favorite Klimt paintings were the landscapes rather than the "gold" portraits.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

So will all of the Klimt's be moved from that museum, or just the one? I'm planning to visit Vienna in December and would love to see as many as possible. I'm sure I'll get to Vienna before wherever they will end up in the US!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:12 AM

Sorry JoeTro, the 5 Klimts in question (I believe 3 landscapes and the two portraits of Adele) have been in Los Angeles since April. Adele's niece lives here and (I'm just guessing here) the Los Angeles County Museum of Art took on the financial burden of insuring and shipping the paintings for the family in exchange for exhibiting them (and perhaps a first crack at purchasing them). However, the exhibit closes next week. I know the one portrait of Adele is scheduled to go on display at its new home in New York as soon as July 13. Not sure what will happen to the others. It is a shame that the two Adele portraits are being separated.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM

Calling all Klimt'ers...One of our favorite little haunts is the Klimt Cafe, named for Gustav, near Norreport in Copenhagen..funky place, Klimt designs all around, fitting for the flitting GK. Excellent dishes at fair prices (for Copenhagen)..young and spirited crowd...we fit right in..Ahem!

Stu T.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I just read that the four other Klimts in the group are indeed going up for auction at Christie's. The family says that because of their value and security issues they do not wish to keep them.

I think they just wanted the $$$. They could have put the paintings on long-term loan to LACMA or some other museum if they were that worried about security.

Shame because all four could well end up in private collections, never to be seen again except once in a blue moon when loaned to museums.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
yk

DejaVu-

I feel the same way too. Even though I'll be in NYC in Sept for 3 days, the Neue Galerie is closed the entire time I'm there (closed Monday Labor Day, and closed Tues & Wed)!

I hope I'll get to see them some day, but I'm worried they may end up in some private collection inside someone's home!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure there are many other masterpieces in private hands, the Klimts won't be unique in that regard if they end up going to private buyers. And I suppose one could say that art lovers got a more than a fair deal by having them on display in a museum for decades without the rightful owners' permission. Of course, I hope they do end up in museums rather than in some billionaire's mansion.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM

I read in today's Dallas Morning News that the family plans to sell them.