Search

? to NYCFoodSnob - Venice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? to NYCFoodSnob - Venice

Hi NYCFoodSnob,

I have read and appreciated many of your postings. I wanted to ask your opinion on two places in Venice. I've been to Venice before only once and you seem to be a seasoned traveler of Italy. I will only be here for two nights and then heading back to Rome.

Here are my two selections

http://www.hotel-olimpia.com/nav.htm San Croce

http://www.ca-satriano.com/www/page.html and this is by San Marco - in the thick of it.

Thanks in advance, Eileen
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

P.S Also it doesn't have to be the fanciest place, I don't care about that.

Really looking for your opinion on the location, the area you suggest of the two and B&B vs. Hotel. Do you think it could be too crazy by San Marco?

Thanks again, E
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:36 AM

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for your kind words. I don't give personal hotel recommendations to people I don't know. I've mentioned this on several threads. What I can tell you is the only hotels on my list of favorites are the ones that offer maximum style and charm (by my definition), regardless of cost. Hotel Olimpia is not on my list but Ca' Satriano is on my "must see" list for this coming January. I've heard some buzz and I want to see for myself. Satriano's location is wonderful, not what I consider "in the thick of it," as I always prefer any address west of San Marco versus any address directly east. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 11:23 AM

##I don't give personal hotel recommendations to people I don't know. I've mentioned this on several threads.##

Why is that? Isn't an internet travel forum about sharing information with unknown persons? I don't get that statement.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Dear NYCFoodSnob,

No problem, I had not read the other threads about not giving out recommendations to people you don't know, and I do understand this.

I am trying to get a better sense location wise and also your views because I feel you know Venice well and I'll only be there for a couple nights.

However like pretty much everything in life, I would go with my gut feeling after hearing anyone's opinions or reviews.

Be well,
Eileen
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM
Lola

FoodSnob, you don't give "personal" recommendations for hotels to strangers, yet you tell all and sundry about your previous gay husbands?

What is it about the hotels that stops you and not your personal life and that of others ?

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 04:37 PM

NYCFoodSnob, I think Lola's question is valid. Just recently we received alot of details about your personal life and I recall that day you were not yourself; in fact I think that post got deleted. It's as though you're a different person alltogether now.

Why not give the hotel info.?

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:10 PM

She chooses not to, folks. Deal with it.

And I think she gave Eileen a pretty good hint about what her opinion would be.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:26 PM

Okay, fine. In reality, ecat, there are so many others here who know alot about Italy and can help you if you want!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:33 PM

Dear Eileen, I just realized I called you Elaine. I'm terribly sorry for misreading your name.

I'm dying to tell Lola that Lola doesn't always get what Lola wants but I must confess, I haven't a mean bone in my aging body. I'm just a bit disappointed that Lola can't tell the difference between therapy and protecting intellectual property. Oh well.

Franco darling, have I changed? I don't think so. I'm not sure I recall the thread you referenced because so many have been deleted. I'm beginning to think I'm wasting time here. My heartfelt mention of Saucony lasted five minutes yet every thread with Nike remains. Go figure. Imagine what the fodors editors would do if I started offering my favorite hotel room numbers. They'd probably all book a vacation and none of you would get in.

I think of hotel experiences as my home away from home. I also love people who are great at the hospitality business. I write about my hotel experiences and I photograph as many rooms as I can get away with. I'm a professional and this is one way I earn a living. I don't ask others to work for free, why should I be expected to?

I like to share and I enjoy being generous but this is not the time or the place.

To all of you who have an interest in my opinion, I thank you.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:49 PM

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Dear NYCFoodSnob,

I asked for your opinion, I got it and I was not at all offended by your reply - so I'm cool with it...

Be well, Eileen
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:12 AM
PCHsmiles

Damned yankee influence makes for hostility?

NYCFS, how are you? I took the liberty of referring someone to you for basic information. I trust I shall not be roasted for it.

Have a good day.

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:30 AM

Speaking of posts that get deleted, did you see the one someone else posted about a "NYCFS siting in Venice". I thought the original post was very interesting even if it sounded invented. The thread deteriorated, however.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:37 AM
PCHsmiles

ttt, in case someone can assist ecat.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:44 AM

ecat, The Olimpia is at the very end of the Grand Canal near the station and is not the location I would suggest.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the location tips. I had only been to Venice once before a couple years ago and looking at the Venice map had me completely turned around. Foodies to the rescue!

I have now happily booked with Luigi at the Ca-Satriano! I'm sure I'll enjoy, how could I not.

Be well, E
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:48 AM

NYCFoodSnob,

Did you check out Ca'Satriano on your trip in January as you said you were going to? I am considering staying there this spring.

Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Anyone know the room rate of Ca'Satriano?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Mischka,

I am staying there in May & Paying 150 Euros for a double and I believe I will receive a 5% cash discount too.

Dick: I posted a question last week, I was curiouse and asking if there had been any reviews yet and received no responces (none from NYFS either).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -